“Very decent travellers hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Sundance Inn & Saloon
61 AB Street 172, Phnom Penh 80152, Cambodia   |
Ranked #42 of 296 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Very decent travellers hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed for two nights at Sundance whilst visiting Phnom Penh in early October. Very well located just a couple of blocks form the Royal Palace and the riverfront, and a short walk to some lovely shops and places to eat. It really is the ideal place from which to explore the city.

The bed was the hugest I have ever seen, a huge platform which is accessed from the foot of the mattress and filled the alcove from the wall to the window. I could have slept across it longways. The room was clean and reasonable with air conditioning and although the seals on the windows weren't quite tight, only one or two mosquitos. Masses of hot water although the bathroom flooded and turned into a wet room quite quickly when I used the shower. Small safe for valuables which was great and the owner was very helpful when I managed to lock myself out of it on the first night. I had a room overlooking the street and it was a bit noisy on the first night as I got used to the Tuk Tuk drivers squeaking and ringing bells.. I got a good night's sleep. The TV was excellent and a wide range of channels. I didn't ever manage to get the inbuilt PC thing working as I used the WiFi instead but I'm sure the chaps at reception would have helped me out.

I didn't make it to the pool but it always looked welcoming and the pool table was very popular. The food looked great too.

Staff, very friendly maids and owner. Highlight: coming home from a day of sightseeing to see a regular fast asleep under the pool table. Apparently it happens once every six weeks or so.. It made me giggle.

I would recommend this place to anyone for decent budget accommodation in PP.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I loved staying at Sundance Inn & Saloon, the rooms are clean and friendly and the staff is courteous and attentive. They have a wonderful pool to swim in! I love hanging out by the pool and drink the $1 top shelf cocktails.

The food is really great! It reminds me of the USA. I love the bacon cheeseburgers and the breakfast is a BIG belt buster! I always leave satisfied after eating at Sundance. So come and enjoy a big satisfying taste of the good old USA on one of the best streets in Phnom Penh!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I don't understand the comments by another reviewer regarding clickiness or unfriendly staff, the 'two western men', Harry & Colin, are the most friendly owner & staff I have encountered in my 11 years in Asia.

They were good accommodating company, happy to help with anything I asked!

I arrived without booking and, as usual, they were full(that says something) so I stayed next door for 1 night then my second night I spent at Sundance Inn.

The rooms are excellent, just as pretty much all the other reviewers have stated.

I had a $25 room and it was at the back, the little noise which made it up to my room from the pool was nice to hear, a bit of life :)

I was only in town for a couple of days so I didn't really have time to use the pool, especially with the late nights drinking the cheap drinks! Wow, it's so CHEAP!

I've stayed at quite a few other GH's in PP and whilst some are nice they are also expensive, some of the cheaper rooms in town have a certain dampness to them, so Sundance Inn ticked all the right boxes; clean room, new linen, big tv, nice lighting, MASSIVE bed, 2.2 metres! Along with all of this the food was nice too, big portions so be prepared to leave with a slightly larger waist then when you arrived! :)

Room Tip: Book well in advance!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I booked my room initially through Agoda although when I arrived the booking had not been received. This fortunately was not a problem as a room was available for me. As soon as I arrived I felt the friendly vibe about the place, all smiles and general all round helpfulness. I was given a room at the front therefore overlooking the street, no more noise than expected, in fact at night the street seems pretty quiet. The first night I went down to the bar and the barman gave me a map and ticked off the places of interest for me.
The room was very comfortable, well appointed with the usual en suite clean bathroom, a/c, safe, fridge and tv which doubles up as your own pc including keyboard and mouse, never seen this before!
The bar area is friendly and I met some lovely people there, was talked into joining in with the quiz night which was fun. The food is good and on par with regard to prices for the surrounding area. There is also a swimming pool at the rear which was always avilable and well frequented, when I checked out I was told that I could come back and use the pool anytime!
The hotel is situated along street 172 which seems to be quite close to everything you will need, there is always a "resident" tuk tuk driver around to take you to all the sights, he will even wait for you or pick you up wherever you want to go.
I ended up checking back into the hotel about 3 times in the 2 months I was there and even when I wasn't staying there I went in regularly to eat, drink and socialise. I had three different rooms and all were excellent, even the room with no window was comfortable.
Well done Harry & Buster!

Room Tip: Book in advance!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Melaka, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I booked this hotel after I saw excellent reviews in TripAdvisor & I have the similar rating to this hotel. I am so satisfy with the 2 nights stay here and would definitely recommend it.

Pros:
1) very friendly boss & staffs (i must praise Harold, although he is a bit slow in replying email ^_^)
2) a pool table to play without charges
3) you can dine at the cafe/pub/bistro which is also the lobby. Nice food !
4) an agent counter beside the hotel to arrange your day tour & book bus ticket for you
5) Walking distance to the riverside
6) a mini mart just at a few steps from the hotel
7) 32'' TV to watch satellite channel and also to surf your facebook. Speedy internet.

Cons:
1) Water in the bathroom flows out too slow and almost flooded when I bath
2) No hair dryer in the room
3) Hot water only upon demand
4) Have to walk up narrow staircase before you reach you room (not suitable to the elder)
5) Heard some music from the room (Thursday is ok, Friday is more happenings)
6) No free breakfast (wish to have their burger set for breakfast!)

Conclusion: Is not a bad choice to stay in this hotel. Recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here in June, which was our first stop in Cambodia, after being delayed in Singapore for 8 hours, we emailed the owner from the airport to let them know we were running a bit late, to which they were really helpful, and arranged a driver to pick us up at the airport in a tuk tuk, which was a fanstastic experience, the driver was there ready wen we landed and easily placed our backpacks on which was about a 20 minute drive to the sundance, and really enjoyed the experience of travelling in the tuk tuk free of charge through the city once we got there.

We had originally booked for 2 nights, however we arranged to stay an extra night as we didn't want to leave, buster and Harry made us feel so welcome. The atmosphere is what makes this place so special, laid back, and friendly. They serve food which is really great an the pool is lovely. Also has pool table, and the staff even dried out my clothes after I had wash them! Free Internet in your room which is the best thing, if your backpacking as we were then able to find our next stop, and buster was great at giving us all the advice we needed, and recommended places to see. On our last night they had a few local people in the bar playing instruments which was fab, definatly can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked at the Sundance because it was highly rated on TripAdvisor. Turned out to be a good decisions, for $25US we stayed in a medium king room which was perfect. The room was a great size, featured a nicely updated bathroom (tough to get hot water though), massive bed that was pretty comfortable, mini fridge with 2 complimentary water bottles, and a flat screen tv that was connected to the internet so you could surf from the comfort of your bed! The hotel also had a nice looking pool and restaurant/bar but we never used either of those.

One of the best parts about the Sundance was it's location, about 2-3 blocks walk to the river promenade which had plenty of restaurants and only 1 block from Friends restaurant (definitely go there for food or at least their apple lime freeze). The street is fairly noisy at night with open restaurants all along but I would guess that is pretty typical of Phnom Penh. It is a dirty, noisy, smelly city but it has some great features too ie. Friends and the promenade.

The staff were very friendly and helpful if we needed it. Our safe wasn't working the first day and the owner (I think) came up and helped us get it sorted right away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sundance Inn & Saloon? Share your experiences!