“The Annoying Orange” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   17 st 144 | Riverside, Phnom Penh, Cambodia   |
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“The Annoying Orange”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My nephew and his friends were visiting Phnom Penh and asked me to book then some accomodation. I booked them into the Velkommen Backpackers in ST. 144 near the Riverside.
What an excellent choice it turned out to be. They had a private dorm room at 5$ a night each.It had been newly refurbished and they may have even the first customers.Ample safe lockers and great Shower Facilities.
They were well looked after by the Young Manager,who they nicknamed "The Annoying Orange:".i can see why! . What a nice young man "Annoying "turned out to be. He accompanied them to S21 etc and on the first night took them to Cambodian BBQ. The next night they were safely back from Pontoon with annoying at 4.am.
The last night it was time for me .The Old Age Traveller to join The New Age Travellers for a few beers at Backpackers. It was a great night , nice well lit and comfortable bar,good mix of clientelle and even a few records i recognised. We had Draught Ice Cold Beers at a $,then onto the Mojitos,they were great. Oh and we did manage to eat ! I had Chicken Schnitzel with Garlic Potatoes. Wow Again.!!
Overall a fantastic welcome to Cambodia at the Backpackers Thankyou Backpackers. I will come in again. My nephew has left for Welkommen Siem Riep for a bit of culture,will review that when they back in PP.
5 STARS ALL AROUND

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have traveled across Asia & tried to find a trust worthy chain of “Backpackers & Guesthouses in Cambodia”, Well I did “Velkommen Cambodia" I have stayed in many places on my trip & my current stay has been at “Velkommen Backpackers & Guesthouses Cambodia” This trip I stayed three times,(Back-Packer in Phnom Penh, Guesthouse-Packer in Siem Reap, and on my return back to Phnom Penh in the Velkommen Guesthouse), this is my second time in Cambodia and I ended up staying for 2.5 weeks in Phnom Penh so with Velkommen being so close to the Riverside there and plenty of places to enjoy which are just within a short walk.
The Velkommen staff are so friendly & helpful they speak English, the “Bars & Food are Good Value” and even the bar staff have heaps of true local insider advise for getting the most out of your stay and they even help me book other places in Sihanouk Ville the bookings include the arrange bus trip.

Room Tip: Speak to the staff, & they well work to arrange the best for you "Dorms to Double Rooms, co...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at this place in January and I didn't get around to writing a review until now. The manager was so helpful! He runs this place and the Velkommen Guesthouse which is across from here. I missed my bus to Saigon because my alarm didn't go off and the manager personally let me use his phone to call all the bus companies. As I was freaking out, since I hadn't had a shower or met my friend, he calmed me down and helped me get a new bus; as well as a Tuk tuk. Amazing dude! The dorm itself is not fancy but it is clean, it can be a bit hot at times but there are quite a few fans. The atmosphere is laid back but people are still having drinks and conversing. Great place to meet people. The price is right and it is in a great location...I definitely looked at all the options in this city but this is the place to go!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I've stayed at Velkommen two times, the second time I ended up staying for like two weeks. The staff are so so friendly and have heaps of insider tips for getting the most out of your stay. A group of us was even invited to a wedding! Location is perfect, right on the waterfront with a market 2 minutes away and lots of bars and restaurants right on the doorstep. Its really clean, the foods great and its got a real nice vibe. I will definately stay at Velkommen next time.

• Stayed April 2013
Lyon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this guesthouse near to the night market. All the staff is very welcoming and the rooms are simple but confortable, with van and AC. We didn't try the domitory and the private rooms are not very luminous. If you can choose you should ask for a room on the second floor because starting from 6 p.m, the street level became a nightclub with very loud music.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I spent only a night in Phnom Pehn and enjoyed the nightlife resulting to only 4 hrs of sleep at this hostel.

The dorm-style room is spacious but the door doesn't close properly. My bag got wet from the aircondition unit (I think). I once was awakened by a sound of falling water and I thought it was raining. I didn't know that my bag was in trouble.

The place is just 2-minutes walk to the Riverfront Park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

it is a good location in the backpackers area along the river side which is also a walking distance to the royal palace, silver pagoda and the national museum!

cheap accommodation and very helpful staff! dorm 4 is the best room to stay because it has air condition, big beds and lockers.

location, value for money and safety is what i like most in this guesthouse.

Room Tip: dorm 4 is the best ;)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Velkommen Backpackers? Share your experiences!