“Great Place” 5 of 5 stars

# 87 - 89, St.136, Phnom Penh 12205, Cambodia   |
Wales
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at this Guest House on 3 separate occasions in February 2012 as it was so good. We found the staff happy, smiling and so so helpful. The rooms are very basic, two beds, cold water and fan and at $14 a night, what a bargain. We did run out of toilet paper but that was not a problem as the cleaner's store room was next door to Room 101. The roof top bar was excellent but a long hike from the first floor, especially as I suffer from asthma!!!
Reception is a little crazy, a very high bar/reception desk and it feels very uncomfortable trying to talk to the helpful staff. Buses were booked easily and cheaply from reception and we a;ways got a good welcome. The young lad working as a waiter was brilliant.... such a lovely smile whenever you asked him for something. In fact, nearly all the staff were excellent. The only downside was the young staff working in the rooftop bar. There were four of them and it was almost impossible to get served as they seemed intent on watching the tv or playing with their mobile phones. Not impressed at all.
On our second visit we had room 301. This was nearer the rooftop bar, helped the asthma but, unfortunately it was impossible to sleep due to the noise from the bar and the rooftop bar toilets being next door to our room and the noise of drunken revellers in the toilet!
Thank goodness, on our third and final visit we had room 101 again.
Our room wasn't cleaned but that was because we placed our pad lock on the door and was our choice so no complaints there. We got friendly with the resident Tuk Tuk drivers outside. We found them pleasant, friendly and not pushy at all and the Security man on the door. What a wonderful man he was. Always a smile, always helpful and when he got to know us he even gave us a salute whenever he saw us. Overall, a brilliant place to stay, good prices, good value for money and I would recommend it to anyone. Incidentally, we were first time geriatric back packers both aged 63!!!

Room Tip: Book the first floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

The roof top bar is amazing. It overlooks the river and has hammocks, a pooltable, TV and plenty of space to lounge around. The staff are fun and even let you take control of the music (as long as you don't put on crap everyone else hates :P) The rooms are basic and come with either fan or aircon but lets face it....how much time are you really going to spend in your room? The food is also great offering a variety of western and asian dishes (try the beef loc-lak!)
It's right near riverside, which is a huge hit with travellers for food, shopping etc. Also, Sorya and Central market it literally a 5-10min walk down the road. Convenient.
If you want your room cleaned, you can ask the staff and they will have it done straight away.
I've had so much fun at 11 Happy and met so many wonderful people. When I was staying there, I used to bring people up just to check out the amazing rooftop.
Definitely worth every dollar.

Room Tip: Lower floors are quieter but if your going to take full advantage of the cheap drinks at the rooftop...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I wasn't in backpacker mode at the time as i was staying with a friend and so we got a single room. I honestly think it's slightly over priced for what's on offer. The ground floor looks great etc but when you start going up it gets a little ragged. Our room looked like they cleaned the bed sheets and the bear minimum.

If you're on the top floor, which is great for hanging out in to be honest, pool table, tv, bar but if you order food it's going to be cold as it comes from the kitchen on the ground floor and comes up on an outside elevator. The 2 breakfasts we had were cold.

Secondly they could really have a think about their guests and the music pumping till all hours. It's all good when you're in the middle of it but you know when you need one of those early nights well you won't get it.

Plus maybe a little security around the place, one guy was banging on his door to get in for at least an hour. He was clearly drunk or whatever that's grand it happens but no body was around to intervene.

To be honest you get what you pay for and it's grand. I was just expecting a little more.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed at Happy 3 seperate times, of course going back because I thought it had a good atmosphere, friendly staff and adequate rooms, which is really does. I didnt want to write a bad review but on my last day of 3months of travelling SEA I experienced the only rude service I had come across. Not once in 3 months had a hotel changed the price of the bill on me when I went to pay, nor treated me with the disrespect that I experienced. I was leaving SEA on this day so had only enough money to pay the room bill (The amount we had agreed on when checking in..), and enough to last me that last day- getting to the airport etc, but the staff at the hotel when I told them I didnt have that money told me they didnt care if I couldnt get to the airport just pay and get out of my guesthouse. 3 months in SEA with no troubles like this, I honestly wouldnt recommend staying there just yet, Im sure they have potential to be a really good backpackers/guesthouse but let them get their act together for a while longer to avoid getting ripped off. Happy 19 just down the road, give them ago if your in need for a backpackers, thats friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

If you're in town for some serious western debauchery, this is your place. The rooms are ok but not that clean (I think the sheets are changed and the floor mopped, that's it). Our room was 25$ with two beds for three people, not worth the relatively high price. We wanted to sleep, that is, and weren't hammered enough not to care where. But you bonkers beer pong people! There was always an awesome partay going on at the rooftop bar, so if that's what you are into, Happy 11 is definitely your place and full of super fun new friends.

The roof top terrace was actually beautiful. That's the reason we stayed for two nights. When the party was over, it was lovely to chill on the roof, drink a shake and read a book. Of course you wouldn't want to chill without your slippers on due to the poorly wiped vomit stains on the pretty wooden floor.

There were couple of nice ladies at the reception, but some members of the staff were rather rude. The service wasn't that excellent, for example we never got our mosquito-leaking window fixed and we had to ask for sheets, toilet paper and pillows for several times before we got them if we ever did.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, don't take a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
JasperPaas, Owner at 11 Happy Backpackers, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear Tyttanen,

This is Jasper, the owner.
First of all; sorry for your unpleasant stay at our guesthouse.
We always strife to keep our guesthouse and rooms as clean as possible, so could you please tell us which room you were staying in so I can check with the cleaner responsible for this room?
Also our wooden floor on the rooftop terrace is cleaned roughly every morning, and since we opened on the 11/11/11 nobody has ever vomited on it. So thats rather a heavy accusation to make.

If possible could you tell us your room # and point out the staff that you thought were rude to you, so I can take a deeper look in to it.
Again we are very sorry for your unpleasant stay here, and if you ever come back we would be happy to offer you a free dinner.

Cheers,

Jasper.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay at 11 Happy 3 separate times throughout December. Each time we were allocated a deferent room so we can give it a fair write up.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and with most offering hot water and air con(for an extra $2 each). Two of our rooms were quite spacious, however our last was a bit cramped and has a few issues like lights not working and a smelly bathroom.

The staff here were really friendly and the rooftop bar is a great spot for a wind down cocktail. Brilliant relaxing feel and a top selection of drinks.

11 Happy is in a prime location and is great value for money in Riverside. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
Stockholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

The gueshouse I wanted to stay at was full and this place was what they recommended. No rooms were avaible but they have a dorm. The dorm was ok, no safety box but the worse part was the bathroom, no toiletpaper, water everywhere like a little swimmingpool - the flood in the bathroom was terrible and no one came to fix it, too bad.

Otherwise OK guesthouse for price and location, very central 5USD for dorm and 10USD for room, no breakfast. The roof bar is nice, but the music not so good and too loud, but of course it is a question of preference. Seems like a really social place.I stayed only one night and moved to another guesthouse after that, further down the street.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
JasperPaas, Owner at 11 Happy Backpackers, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Hanna,

Thank you for your review, I am very sorry for the bad experience you had in our hotel recently.
If there is a problem in the room we always strife to fix it as soon as possible.
The bathroom is getting fixed as we speak.

If you are coming back to Phnom Penh we would be happy to offer you a dinner.

Thanks,

Jasper,
owner.

Been to 11 Happy Backpackers? Share your experiences!