“Special restaurant for a special occasion” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Phnom Penh
“Special restaurant for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2015

We came to Do Forni for a special birthday meal. We sat in one of the round "booths" that offer a nice environment for a party of 4 or 5 people.

Service was very attentive and staff made us feel special. If you elect for steak a trolley of raw meat is brought to the table for you to choose your cut and size. Steaks are priced by weight in the $20 - $35 / 100g range. Between us our party had lamb chop with grilled vegetables, a parma ham pizza, and tagliatelle with duck ragu. All the dishes were good - the lamb was moist, pizza baked in a proper wood-fired oven was tasty, pasta was home made and the duck sauce was rich and hearty.

A few nice touches also complemented the meal nicely - we were offered a small aperitif of sparkling wine and peach on arrival, and were also given a complementary "amuse bouche" of salmon while waiting for our mains to arrive. We also liked the very generous helping of delicious freshly baked bread and olive oil / balsamic that was offered with the meal.

The restaurant has a long wine list, but also offers a kind of tasting menu of three wine samples from a particular country. I tried the set of three Italian reds. It was good but two of them were very similar, being different blends of Cabernet and Sangiovese - they would do better to replace one of them with something quite different.

From the dessert menu we tried tiramisu (mild/creamy), panna cotta (light and with good subtle flavours - a bit small) and chocolate pudding (which took 15 minutes to bake but was amazing - so rich and gooey!).

Overall the bill for two courses (from the cheaper end of the menu) and drinks came to about $40 per head (including service and tax that are added to the menu prices). We did have a very good meal for that and felt that the value was acceptable given that this is an upper end restaurant. Recommended for special occasions!

• Visited April 2015

Cannes, France
“Nice decor, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2015

As guests as Sofitel we ate there twice. Great Veal tenderloin and risotto. And for the adventurous, try the Passion fruit ice cream. The decor is very romantic. You won't be disappointed. Apparently they can also cut slices of meats exactly to your wishes so do ask for the meat trolley.

Visited April 2015
Australia
“'' Nice Restaurant"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2015

i been here with my boyfriend since December 2014, the ambiance of the restaurant it was really romantic, my dish it was really delicious ( Grill Wagyu Beef Rib eye steak ) and my boyfriend he order Tagliatelle with duck ragu, our dish are very tasty, really friendly chef and service, we are wish to came back soon.

• Visited December 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charles-Henri C, General Manager at Do Forni, responded to this review, January 28, 2015
Dear sherrry b,

Bonjour and greetings from the Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra.

I am pleased to read you have enjoyed your dining experience at our Italian fine dining restaurant and wish to thank you for your review to our TripAdvisor community.

It is always a pleasure to read such positive feedback about the quality and service we provide.

I will share your comments with my teams that will be thrilled and we will look very much forward to welcome you again soon.

Bulgaria
“"The best Pizza"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2015

Just arrived in Phnom Penh for the first time, we decided to dine at Italian Restaurant in side the Hotel because we don't know where to go, we order 2 Pizza for share (Pizza pama and pizza daviola) it was very good taste, if someone want the best pizza please try, highly recommend.

• Visited January 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charles-Henri C, General Manager at Do Forni, responded to this review, January 23, 2015
Dear Galoosey F,

Bonjour and greetings from the Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra. Thank you for your high recommendation to our TripAdvisor community.

I couldn’t be happier than to read your fabulous feedback.
Our pizza at Do Forni is handmade daily and prepared with only the finest produce and ingredients.
I will pass your comments on to the team which I am sure will feel much rewarded by your feedback and will encourage us to keep on providing with high standards of quality.

I truly hope we will be able to welcome you again soon.

“Tasteless and uninteresting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2015

The ambiance at Do Forni is very hotel like and not cosy or romantic. Another reviewer suggested it for business meetings, which I think fit very well.

But the main problem we experienced was the food. Bear in mind that this is one of the more expensive restaurants you can find in Phnom Phen, so I definitely expect high quality service and food.

We ordered our food. I got a 48 degree sous vide cooked salmon for antipasti. It was perfectly cooked but it had no taste and neither did the sauce it came with. They might have forgotten salt? Anyway it really ruined the dish. My girlfriend ordered a salad with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, but without asking they exchanged basil with rocket salad. Other then that, the dish was ok, not great. Our two mains had the same problem as my starter. The meat was cooked perfectly but the dish had no taste, like they completely had forgotten salt. I got a risotto to my fish, which turned out to be corn of a kind, that had definitely not been cooked in any form of broth or similar. The dish was just very uninteresting.

The service was not great but was not bad either.

All in all this restaurant does not get my recommendation.

• Visited January 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Olaf F,

Bonjour and greetings from the Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra and thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I regret to read about your impair experience at Do Forni Restaurant.

Guest satisfaction remains our number one priority at the Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra; we generally receive high praises from our guests about the great quality of food we provide and are repeatedly mentioned as one of the best Italian restaurant in town.

We greatly appreciate your feedback, both positive and constructive as they enable us to provide better experiences for our guests. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and truly do hope that this incident will not deter you from trying our gastronomic offerings throughout the hotel.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back and I would be pleased to personally greet you.