“architecturally interesting hotel with lacking boutique flavor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Mekong Boutique Hotel

You added Royal Mekong Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Mekong Boutique Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   #17, Street 208, Sangkat Beoung Reang, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh 855, Cambodia   |
Ranked #47 of 273 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Hannover, Germany
“architecturally interesting hotel with lacking boutique flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in this boutique hotel and our stay was okay. While the house architecture is surely by great design, the staff was friendly and helped us with the luggage and the rooms were quite clean we missed the boutique flavor of the place. The house is missing decoration such as plants and flowers. In the the rooms curtains, lamps and cabinets do not match and look outplaced like coming from a cheaper chinese basaar. We did not have warm water in the shower. It could not be fixed. All around the hotel is - by its name- raising expectations it does not meet. Therefore we rate it average.

Room Tip: Choose a room with window.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
siem reap
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Loved this place. Moved hotels after a night as our other hotel was too far out of town. Staff were helpful and had reasonable english. it is a new hotel and was very clean and quiet. Breakfast was fine, nothing to write home about but no complaints. The only bug bear was that they turned our power off whenever we left the room (standard) which included the fridge, not (so standard) which meant everything we had in the fridge was warm. When we asked for ice they charged us $2. Worth a look, but book on Agoda rather than walk up, price seems to be better. Bed a tad hard, but it's difficult to find a softish bed in Asia.

Room Tip: No Lift so ask for a lower floor if it's a issue
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
California City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

our 1st time staying at the boutique hotel, we were very happy with our stay and the service is great. Great value! The place is clean and roomy. The staff went out of their way to book car for us to Siem Reap and try to help us bargain on price. On our checkout day they let us stay in our room until 2:30pm while waiting for the driver to come.
Only thing I would complaint is the drainer in the shower drain too slow.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed here for 3 days on a business trip to PP. The junior suite is spacious and really nice. Free WiFi is a great plus. ABF nothing to be excitied about buy fair enough.
Only one thing that drove me crazy was that the water in the bath/shower wasn't hot enough. They tried to fix it for 3 days without success.
But overall the nice room, great staff made it a great stay in a lovely city.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Channa R, Director of Sales at Royal Mekong Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for coming to stay with Royal Mekong Boutique Hotel! Many thanks for your precious time you spent writing the review on trip advisor to share your experience in the Hotel with everyone around the globle!

My staff and I are very pleased to have had you as our dear guests(i have noticed you are the happy couple) and to have the best review based on the fact from you.

Thanks for your suggestion of menu and giving me some idea about how to prepare food and menu!

Finally wish you and your family all the best! May God bless you!

Best Regards,
Hotel management and staff
Malaga, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I liked this hotel and was very happy when they picked me up at the airport. The staff were friendly. Lovely big room with massive TV that I could put my dongle in which was great. They advertise "A dip in the hot tub and a relaxing massage awaits guests after active biking trips around Phnom Penh" However after my first day trip in the heat i wanted to relax and asked the staff about the massage and hot tub, the staff didnt know what a hot tub was and I was given a leaflet of a place that did massages. Breakfast was ok and alot of it which pleased me as I could have a late lunch. The casual open-air restaurant only seems to serve breakfast. I came back to the hotel late one afternoon and wanted somefood and I was told the kitchen was closed. The young lady at the desk saw the disapointment in my face and said that she could get me some fish and rice. I agreed and the food was delicious. I think there are some misunderstanding about the services. The tuk driver associated with the hotel was very agressive and quite in your face, charged me $10 just to go to the river front!! which i didnt like as I had organised my own driver.
All in all I liked the room and the location, I think they need more time to organise the facilities that they claim to be advertising. For this reason the $45 a night was too much .... especially now that I have travellled to other places in Cambodia.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Halifax
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011 via mobile

Nice hotel in quiet street about 10-15min walk from riverside pubs. Big rooms but not really furnished that well - no pictures, carpeting. bathroom had lovely walking shower...and warm water. staff seemed a bit unsure although they were good enough to offer us a tuk-tuk to the airport on departure instead of meeting us on arrival as we came by bus from Siemens reap. Breakfast ok if you chose eggs and bacon. nice resto on same street tho we didn't actually eat there.

• Stayed November 2011
Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Overall I liked this place, I'd probably stay there again but there are a few things still to be sorted.

Location: behind the palace, so not too far if you don't mind walking a little bit (but bear in mind that pavements and lighting is not the best in Phnom Penh). Would benefit from the street having a cafe or two but it's a very quiet street which is great for a good nights sleep.

Service: They don't have the restaurant open yet which they advertise, they only serve breakfast. Free airport pick up was fine but not a car as advertised it was a tuk-tuk - we were very happy with this but make sure you check if you have a lot of luggage or if there are several of you. All staff are very friendly but compared with other places we stayed their level of English was not as high (feel bad saying this when we can't speak Khmer) and sometimes this made getting help difficult. Also on one occasion when we were in a hurry to get to the coach station they said they would call a tuk-tuk and asked us to wait, time was ticking and after several minutes I looked outside and there was a tuk-tuk driver there but perhaps not the company they use? I was a little annoyed that when we had said we were in a hurry they told us there wasn't a tuk-tuk outside.

Room: was very large and the bathroom was also enormous with walk in shower and separate bath. Few details missing such as soap and soap dish for the sink, spare loo roll and the bath sloped slightly the wrong way so that it didn't drain - really a very minor thing in an overall very nice room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Mekong Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!