“Best hostel EVER!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
PORT COLBORNE
“Best hostel EVER!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I was heading to Cambodia for three months for an internship and just happened to come across this hostel online a week before I arrived. I intended to stay for a bit and then find an apartment, but instead I stayed at the hostel for the full three months because it was such a perfect place to be. There is a clean pool, cool bar and outdoor patio, the staff are super friendly and helpful, and there is always a wicked crew of travellers passing through. You will seriously not find a better place to stay in Phnom Phen and I highly recommend to anyone traveling or staying in the city to stay at 88!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I've stayed a few hostels/guest houses on my travels and think 88 is one of the better ones. Good food, cost and can’t really complain about anything else. Got a pool to have a bit of a dip and nice chill out/restaurant thing down stairs to hangout…

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed in Phnom Penh for 3 weeks and I'm really glad I nestled down at Eighty8. The pool was the place to be to relieve from the heat and was just really chilled. I found the staff really friendly and cool to hang out with. They helped me out a lot whenever I needed to go somewhere outside of Phnom Penh (even with transport and booking places to stay) and gave some great advice on things to do and see. Food was amazing and so cheap. I think it has everything. Great atmosphere, friendly staff, awesome food and a nice place to sleep / hang out. Really clean too. Thanks guys!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Chau Doc, Vietnam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed at 88 one night and because I thought they were very friendly and it was a nice hostel I went back on my way out of Cambodia.But I booked a boat ticket through them to go to Vietnam and I was supposed to be picked up at 7 for a 3 hour boat to Chau doc, but the ticket was never forth coming. Ended up paying way too much for a very dodgy bus that only left at 9 and the guy at 88 lied to me and together with transport agency took my cash and split the money they scammed off me. Figured it out at the agency and the guy said yes the guy at 88 took my money. Both 88 and the travel agency they work through lied and over charged me. Travel agency was called delta adventure and they are just around the corner from 88. So don't stay at 88 and don't use delta adventure. A bit too much adventure if you ask me. Wasvry dissapointed as them seemed like nice people first time around but the receptionist blatantly lied and stole my money. Don't trust them.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Comfy beds, nice food, cool bar area to hang out and chat / play pool / swim, etc

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

This is hands down the best hostel in Phnom Penh. Extremely reasonable prices, incredible accommodations and a killer pool and lounge area downstairs. I've experienced many accommodations during my travels and this is without a doubt one of the nicest places I've had the pleasure of staying.

I've been lucky enough to live at Eighty8 on and off for about a month while traveling through Cambodia. As one of the first guests, I've seen it grow from a relatively unknown diamond in the rough to a thriving mecca for backpackers, travelers and tourists alike.

Close to Riverside, Wat Phnom and Lakeside, it's in a great part of town for sightseeing and the staff is incredibly helpful in booking tours, transportation and any other trips you might want to arrange. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the beds are superb and the food is top notch (try the chicken club!).

If you're making your way through Phnom Penh, I highly recommend stopping in for a night or two, but make sure you book ahead because this new spot is hot!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

This place is brand new - it has only been open for about a month, and it is one of the best places I have stayed in my three months in Asia.

I stayed in the dorms. The beds were big, comfortable and had proper covers. The lockers were nice and big too!

The bar/hangout area was amazing! There is a pool, pool table and tons of hangout space. I only had breakfast at the hostel, but it was really good. Dinner menu is somewhat limited but the food looked good.

The other standout aspect of the Eighty8 Backpackers was the service. Right when I walked in the door, Ricky, the guy at reception greeted me by name. Everyone that worked there was super nice an really helpful with information about Phnom Penh.

Would highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2011

Been to Eighty8 Backpackers? Share your experiences!