“Nice restaurant for Khmer and western food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice restaurant for Khmer and western food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Ended up here for dinner. Actually two restaurants sharing one kitchen. I had a pizza here that was tasting good. The Khmer food was nice to. Staff speaks English well and is very helpful. It the center of the bar and restaurant area of Phnom Penh.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Good Food & Ambience, a Creative Owner, and Superb Set-up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I’m giving this restaurant a five-star rating because I am taking a holistic view, evaluating the whole gestalt: a restaurant is many things, including its history, its food, its ambience, its staff and management, its guests, its setup, the view of the world that you get while you’re there. And last but not least, for me, the interesting and sometimes fascinating people you meet there, a handful of whom become friends, or provide a window into other modes of thinking.
But first, the food. I had a fabulous Pan Fried Fish with Mustard Green Pepper Sauce just the other day—succulent, with mashed potatoes and vegetables on the side: a hearty portion. I have also had some excellent dishes there in the past, and, thanks to being introduced to it by a long-time Dutch friend, this has been my most regular haunt during the previous 24 months. The Chicken Thai Yellow Curry used to be very good and dependable, with exquisite taste and lots of vegetables in it. Recently, Wut, the creative and adventurous owner, added tapas to the menu, and when he supervises its preparation, it can be inspired. I’ve seen others enjoy the Greek salad, the Chicken Salad, and the Chicken Cordon Bleu. I’ve had the deep pan pizza, and the beef steak, both of which can be quite good deals for the price.
But most of all, I enjoyed the people and the atmosphere, and the arrangement of chairs (I don’t like to sit in low chairs; I prefer the higher chairs), and the way they are set up, which is really so special about Blue Dolphin. As a result, you constantly meet new people—I’ve made a variety of friends or had conversations with people from Britain (including a Cambridge University alumnus who became a fan of my novel; Ned, a very funny, entertaining, and smart Englishman who never fails to remind me that his grandmother is from Calcutta; and Johnny, a Shakespearean actor who reminded me of Hamlet monologues from long ago—we had a Hamletfest on a couple of occasions); and from Holland, Germany, America, France, and Australia, among others. The total experience was rendered even better by the personal attention and smiles of Allee and Marie, both of whom, unfortunately, are not at the restaurant any longer.
Then, there were a group of waitresses who were a joy to banter with—Marie included. Noticing a dish on the menu titled “Chicken Madras”, I would ask them “You mean this chicken walked all the way from Madras? Or did it fly?” Or: “No, I don’t want Chicken Madras; it must be really tired. Do you have the Chicken From Prey Veng?” It took them a few hours to get the joke, but when they got it, they really laughed.
For all these reasons, and for the sake of the many friends I have met there and occasionally meet, and still hope to meet (some have gone away for the summer to Europe and elsewhere, and will return in the latter part of the year), I would continue to visit this restaurant, reasonably regularly, even if it just served white bread, butter, and jam. That’s my choice. I like to be where my friends—present, past, and potential—are, and a restaurant is, for me, far more than just food.
I hope they work to maintain their former reputation, and I owe many thanks to Blue Dolphin for the hospitality and the excellent food they have served me over 24 months, for the staff present and past who have shown so much warmth and generosity, and especially for the smiles and laughter.

Visited July 2014
“cheap restaurant and specially the driinks coktails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

It is a Cambodian restaurant next door is from them also , Cordon blue is a must , some of the meals are very nice , some other no ,
also the steak is nice 5 usd , and fresh salade french fries can choose different is ok , is good to try this place , many local who live in phnom pehn go their price quality is ok , like to visit 2 a week if you live here. the whole street 172 is good to check out ,many intresting places

Visited March 2014
Da Nang, Vietnam
“My regular dinner venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The Blue Dolphin / Fine restaurant were located just opposite my hotel.
These two restaurants, each with its own menu, ( although all the food comes from the one kitchen ) is open for Breakfast at 07:00h, and closes sometime after my bedtime.
I have never been disappointed here, the food is great and surprisingly cheap.
It's a sort of "high-end" back-packers diner, and the staff are adorable.
I ate here regularly for over a week enjoying both western and asian food, and sometimes just a beer or a fruit juice.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Good comfort food and happy hour wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

This is a good option for a budget traveller. We had the creamy pasta with chicken and the stuffed chicken with mash. Both dishes were nice, very much home-cooked comfort food. They were priced around $4-$5 each. The happy hour wine was good for the price, only $2 per glass and didn't taste like vinegar.

Visited March 2014