“Good Location, Honest Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Sinh Foo Guest House
and 1 more site!
You added Sinh Foo Guest House to your Saves list
Sinh Foo Guest House
No.323Eo, Sisowath Quay, Sangkat Chey Chumneas | Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia   |
Ranked #45 of 273 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Location, Honest Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this guesthouse. I booked 2 rooms for 4 of us. Rooms come with tv, mini fridge and aircon, aircon not cold at all until late in the night when we were already asleep. We paid more for the balcony rooms so that we can enjoy the river view, the 2nd floor balcony had a small table and 2 chairs, it was very narrow and dusty, could be because of the dusty traffic, hectic and noisy street in front of the place.so they didnt bother to clean it up, ended up we didnt use the balcony like we intended to, due to the dust and space. My friend's room at the third level didnt even have any table only a chair. The third floor room is smaller as compared to the 2nd floor one and appeared to be hardly utilized. My friends found harmless bugs on their beds when they returned to the room the first night, might be because they left their lights on when they leave the room. Otherwise the rooms and bathrooms are clean, little noisy because of the traffic. We still slept well despite of the noise. wifi is good.

The breakfast was decent and light, we had dinner at the rooftop restaurant and bar once, the river view from roof top was good and the foods were delicious until many small bugs decided to join us, they were everywhere, my plate, my mai tai, my soup my shirts etc… we may had more protein unknowingly. We asked for the remaining food to be sent to the room to complete our dinner instead. We escaped to the room and I found a few more bugs on my body when I was about to shower. We didn't go to other rooftop restaurants, but I’m thinking it could be the same.

The location was good, walking distance to many attraction, we enjoyed strolling along the riverside in the evening, lots of activities, people doing exercise and sports. The night market is a distance away, and the royal palace and silver pagoda are very near. Restaurants and travel agencies are just beside, I will advise other travelers to buy from the agencies for the rides to visit the killing field and S21 instead of being harassed by the tuk tuk drivers all the time and overcharging you by agreeing at one price initially and up the price at the end of the rides by giving excuses like he traveled to many places or spent too much time. The travel agencies stated all the places and prices in black and white.

When approached, the staff will help otherwise I do not find them very friendly nor very smiley either. I will never rate them good until an incident happened. We checked out after breakfast and were already at the bus terminal on the coach to siem reap. My careless friend realized that he lost his electronic device and he cannot remember where he left it. We called up Sinh Foo to get them to check if he left it at the breakfast area and they replied no. We thought he could kiss his electronic device goodbye, but the honest staffs from Sinh Foo called up again after they checked our room and confirmed that they found the device. I appreciate the honesty and I will give them a five star for that.

BUT I would stay again as the staffs, location, price and service outweighed the noise issue.
p.s the owner has the fattest, cutest baby.

Room Tip: I will get the basic room next time because if i want the balcony with more space, i can go up to th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel. We had the room just near stairs and it was very noisy. The good point in this hotel is the roof restaurant and bar. They said you can take your breakfast on the roof but not. About the breakfast,for me the very very bad point! they give you 1 slice of bread with butter, one egg and finish no tea,no coffee! There is different kind of breakfast, we tested different but all is very very small.
Nevertheless the hotel has a good location just in front of the river, the staff is friendly and room was clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Siem Reap, Cambodia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A small hotel opposite the river and near to the palace etc. Clean rooms with A/C and TV.

The biggest issue for me was the noise. I was in room 103 and people going up and down the stairs could be easily heard all day and night.

Quite a busy place til midnight and then from around 7am.

BUT I would stay again as the food, location, price and service outweighed the noise issue.

I was here for 4 nights and ate here every day. The food really is that good.

Cheap draught beers too and an excellent view from the roof top restaurant.

Breakfast options limited and not that great. Fruit and/or muesli would have been good.

Overall a great guesthouse in busy PP!

Room Tip: Room 103 not very quiet. Rooms higher up may be better?
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

The food at Sinh Foo is really good - at least the Thai and Khmer food I tried. The rooftop terrace located towards the river blends away the rather hectic and noisy street in front of the place.

The staff is superfriendly and gave me a warm welcome. They tried to make me feel home the best way possible. Thumbs up for that.

The reason why I gave a 4 only is because first, due to the rooftop restaurant, theres quite some traffic in the stairway which is why you hear quite a lot of noise in your room. Doors and walls dont absorb a lot of noise either, so you can always hear other people coming and leaving their rooms.

Unfortunately my room did not have a window, but it was not stuffy.

In the end it's quite a cheap place only a 3 minutes walk from the royal palace and close to a lot of bars. If you do not expect to check into a highquality hotel regarding noise and room equipment, but a place with friendly people directly in the city and located at the river to crash out at night while you are on the road daytimes: check it out.

• Stayed December 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

First, the good: the rooms are large and clean with good air con and showers. It is nicely located on the other side of the road along the river. The khmer food is very good too (breakfast is more miss than hit). The upstairs terrace is good too.

Now, the mediocre. It is noisy; noise from the ground floor restaurant travels upstairs and really only quietens down after 11pm, only to start up again before 7am. Plus at the moment construction work is ongoing on the first floor and nearby (next door?) which makes it noisy during the day. I haven't marked them down for this but might be something to be aware of.

And the middling: the staff are friendly and try hard but service isn't at the same level as elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We arrived in PP and the tuk tuk driver tuk tuked took us to another guesthouse before we found Sinh Foo ourselves. We just wanted somewhere clean and convenient and cheap. The place we went to was pretty average in all respect. Wondering around the next day, we looked at a few other places and came across Sinh Foo and it was by far the best place we found.

Why you may ask?!? Well....

1) It is cheap for what you get! We are staying for a total of 3 weeks so are getting a great rate. But it is still really good value. For less than $15 a night, you get a great size room, clean, good ensuite regular hot water, good TV. This isnt a riverside view but its still good (room 301). Its not noisy at all. I think the rooms with better views are more expensive but still good value.

2) No matter if you have the basic room since there is a great balcony to eat, drink and watch the goings-on on the riverside. If there is not much happening, you can watch the weird and wonderful geckos instead.

3) The staff are fab. For 3 weeks, they have always greeted us, joked with us, smiled and helped out. Never too formal and they have created a really nice friendly atmosphere as I think they are just genuinely friendly! Young Cambodians with very good English. Plus, the run up and down the stairs to bring us dinner and beer on the balcony and never look tired!

4) Like other places, they have good cold beer at $0.50 a glass! BUT here, you get an endless bowl of lovely nuts too. Not just any nuts - posh ones with dried garlic, chillis and salt. And did I mention, its an endless bowl and you can keep asking for more!

5) The food is lovely. Really good quality food and again, not over priced. Amok is tasty as is everything else. Just eat here if nothing else.

6) THE BEST REASON - the owner has the funniest, cutest baby ever. Just come here to see the baby. He is so chubby and smiley its hilarious. The staff from Sinh Foo and the neighboring businesses all seem to look after him and he is like a celebrity big baby as is so well known. Owner is a nice lady too who is proud of her big baby.

So 6 reasons to come here and stay! Enjoy!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a great guest house which knows how to look after its guests. The staff were lovely throughout the booking process and my stay at both ends of my trip. The food was always delicious. Great location on the riverfront on busy strip with great views, restaurants and a good massage parlour next door. The driver they organised to collect me from the airport was great,
A refuge of peace from the constant hussle of Phnom Penh.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sinh Foo Guest House? Share your experiences!