“The pool is great and maybe the best value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Circa 51

Save Saved
You added Circa 51 to your Saves list
Circa 51
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   #155, corner of Streets 51 and 222, Phnom Penh 0000, Cambodia   |
Ranked #15 of 203 hotels in Phnom Penh
siem reap
“The pool is great and maybe the best value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The pool is great and maybe the best value. The room was very spacious and nicely decorated. WiFi was reliable. Be aware the hotel has no sign on the outside and it might be difficult to find. I am a very frequent traveler to Phnom Penh and this was my first stay at Circa 51. I am likely to return and I can warmly recommend a stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Travelled with two others on our first ever trip to Cambodia. Upon reaching the hotel via airport transfer (they provide this service for a small fee), we were greeted warmly by Soriya, who made us feel very welcome and provided us with travel tips.

We stayed in the deluxe suite room, which turned out to be much larger than expected, perhaps given that we hail from a country where we have more people than acres. The beds are comfortable and more than adequately sized (super-king!), the bathroom is spacious with no shortage of surfaces on which to place toiletries, and the television gets enough coverage to satisfy most channel-surfers.

The hotel is fairly conveniently located, being about a 5-10 minutes tuk-tuk ride away from Sisowath Quay and Central Market. Tuk-tuks are easy enough to hail, since a couple of friendly drivers usually hang out just outside. Of course, if they aren't, you can just hail one off the street. Or stay inside and be a couch potato, the room's that comfortable.

The staff were very helpful and friendly throughout. They happily helped us arrange moto tours and booked our bus to Siem Reap on our behalf at the end of our stay. It's unique in that the atmosphere is much more at ease and personal than the other faceless hotels - as if you're staying with a friend.

Needless to say, we were sad to leave. If I return to Phnom Penh, I'd definitely stay at Circa 51 again. Also because they have really good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

If this place was categorized as a guesthouse, I would rate it high. But since it appears under "hotel" or "boutique residence" category, I can't give it a high rate.
On the pro's:
-the owners are friendly
-the pool is a nice plus
-centrally located close to the palace etc
-family friendly

On the con's:
-we didn't feel it's clean enough
-our room on the ground floor was very dark and didn't give us a good feeling of being comfortable
-there was very limited choice of the items for the breakfast and the quality wasn't very high
-we once ordered some food in the evening (some simple fish and chips,if I recall correctly) and it took an hour to serve and the quality again was poor
-before booking we asked if there are safe boxes in the room and the answer was yes. We were very surprised to figure out that the "safe box" is just some wooden drawer in the closet that has a lock. We left our belongings (including documents) there but it did not give us a comfortable feeling that our stuff is safe.

Overall- if you are looking for a guesthouse- this would be a good choice (pricy though) but if you want some hotel quality- look for another place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CambodiaGina, General Manager at Circa 51, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear guest
thank you for your feedback. Indeed, we are not a hotel and do not market ourselves as such. Our property is a former large modernist-style Cambodian residence and all of our rooms have different configurations and styles. Our least expensive rooms can be a little dark as the windows look out to an outdoor shaded walkway; on the other hand -because they are at the back of the property they are very quiet and do not receive any of the usual Phnom Penh traffic noise. We have large wooden safety boxes in the rooms - in our 2.5 years of running we have never had anything stolen from them. In fact, a lot of people like them because they are big enough to fit large laptops, SLR cameras and most gadgets so we have decided not to change them. I was surprised to hear that some simple fish and chips took one hour - this would usually take 15-25 minutes depending on how busy the kitchen is. If it really did take this long, i truly apologize. If you had brought this to the management attention we could have at at the very least comped you the meal as it is totally unacceptable to wait that long. Our regular breakfast consists of fresh juice, plunger coffee or tea, muesli, eggs how you like them, toast with locally made jams, home-made yoghurt, fruit-salad and fruit salad. On a final note about the room rate - I'm not sure where else in Phnom Penh you will find for $46 a 25 sq met room for 2 adults and a child with pure cambodian silk drapes and decor, antique and reproduction furniture, flat screen tv/dvd/cable, refrigerator, in-room wifi, overflow swimming pool and breakfast for three in central Phnom Penh. Maybe it would be possible, but certainly not easy to find!
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a great family run hotel in a central location in Phnom Penh. The rooms are clean, spacious and cool, the security is great and transport (be it tuk tuk, motos or drivers) are readily available just outside the front door. Perhaps what sets this hotel apart is the staff - it is a family run establishment and everyone I met whilst staying here was a real gem. Thanks to the team for making my stay so very comfortable.

Room Tip: Room 10 is outstanding.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights over the weekend. Location is great, easily accessible to tourist spots. Tuk Tuk always ready outside hotel. Room is clean and big and breakfast is nice. Pool is simply awesome when we always need an escape from the scrotching sun. What I wanna highlight are the staffs, soriya, manjit, yvette, maya and of course maxiee, you guys couldn't have done any better, I really enjoyed my trip a lot.

Thank you guys!

• Stayed May 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I booked our stay 48 hours before we came and we were not sure about what it would be like. We enjoyed our stay so much! We were greeted with friendliness and yummy drinks. The complimentary breakfast was delicious! The staff made us feel right at home and were so friendly! Our room was clean and had a nice mini bar. There is a happy hour between 5-7 that has yummy drinks and again, served with a smile :-) The staff commented that we were so kind compared to others that have visited so even if you are tired make sure to be friendly and offer a smile! The pool is amazing and relaxing! We had a blast and enjoyed a nice little oasis away from home for the night and next day :-)

Room Tip: We had room 4 and we were really happy with it! It had a poolside view and lovely vegetation surroun...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Centurion, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was going to stay only a few nights but then found out that they could help me arrange a long term visa for Thailand, which meant I could bypass the Laos leg of my trip as that was all I was going there for. I ended up staying for almost a week and enjoyed my time a lot. The staff is friendly, the rooms are very spacious, clean and of a good standard. The breakfast choice is limited by plentiful. They are a bit away from the area with the many bars and restaurants but this was a plus point for me - though it is still only about 10 minutes walk. I would definitely recommend them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Circa 51? Share your experiences!