“Not worth visiting - better options around” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #231 of 679 restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Cambodian, Thai, Noodle
Heidelberg
“Not worth visiting - better options around”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Very mediocre food. We liked the red curry, but the bbq'd chicken was insanely overcooked and without sauce. Definitely inexpensive, but you can do better in the area.

Visited November 2013

76% Recommend
Vientiane, Laos
“Mostly good food, need more fans”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stay nearby and ate here recently. I had Massaman curry which was fine and a reasonable portion for $4, with some cold beerlao. My wife had fried pork rib & garlic which was good, with som tam and sticky rice. The somtam was dry with the chilli served separate even after she asked for it very spicy, and had no dry shrimp or crab, so not so good. Also her sticky rice was the type served in a plastic bag after being heated in the microwave, rather than freshly made. You'd expect this at a small Thai place with too few customers to bother steaming sticky rice each day, but not a busy place like this.

The service was fairly quick so maybe they have picked up on previous complaints - the place was full (every table) but we still got served within a couple of minutes.

The restaurant is covered in on 3 sides so gets no air - it was hot even at night - so a couple of extra fans would be good.

Overall a nice meal and the place is obviously popular - but improvements could easily be made without spending much money.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Great prices and perfect food. Lots of quantity AND quality. Great atmosphere. It was a mix of both locals and foreigners which is saying something in BKK. I loved the trei amok and my husband loved his staple—sweet and sour chicken. We will definitely go back!

Visited July 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
“TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

beware no matter where you sit. kids will come up to you asking to buy things!, first little girl was adorable. We had a nice chat about how her mother is working in the downstairs kitchen. then came food and drinks. average meals!. "don't try the massaman curry". then second girl comes little older and very rude. Demanding us to buy. Interested to know where her mother was, we were surprised to hear that her mother was in the kitchen also.(possible sisters)!.am shock!.so I asked the waitress and she confirmed the girls mother(s) worked in the kitchen. we were shocked!. This is a new low for us.now don't get me wrong we ve been in Cambodia for a few months now, in the city, towns and provinces. been to orphanages, schools, floating village, dealt with hawkers. experienced or heard of most of it. we are well aware of the history and poverty in this beautiful country, but this in a restaurant. Its getting too much! Cambodia`s economy needs tourism, but who will come here if this sort of behaviour continues!. Foreigners are not instant dollar signs. sorry for the rant, but I feel I had to. back to the restaurant. with our left-over we mixed it together and asked for take-away and for the bill. only to be laughed at!. bill comes. they over charge us by "accident".obviously now we re pissed off. They decide to send up the gorgeous resident baby to hand over the corrected bill. I just think its cheeky!.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Jakarta, Indonesia
“To Eat or Not to Eat?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I live around the corner from Tom Yum Kung Restaurant and in many ways I love it. I lived in Thailand for a year and so I really appreciate the authentic and reliable Thai food. They are respected and deservedly so for the quality and spice of their dishes. I often order the Kapow Gai, the curries, the Pad Thai, and the Tom yum. It can be a very nice place to get a delicious and substantial meal, alone or with friends. But as has been noted here in other reviews- you may experience poor or completely non-existant service. I have simply gotten up and left twice from this establishment, simply because I started to feel like I was waiting in a doctor's office and the appointment might never happen. No one came over, though several employees looked over and met eyes with me. No water, no menu, no acknowledgement that I had walked in in hopes of procuring food. It is an alienating and frustrating experience, and I don't blame the passing through tourists from slamming the place. Tonight, rather than make a scene, after 20 minutes of sitting there feeling more and more like an idiot, I got up and left. I spent my money nearby and enjoyed really lovely service from a trained staff. Would it be too much to ask TYK to train-up their wait staff? Are they simply averse to taking the next steps towards success? The problem is that they did not simply lose my business tonight, but most likely next time I am out the voices in my head dissenting between loving their food and fearful of wasting my time will tip towards another choice. My advice? By all means go here if you love Thai food- but practice your WuSa Serenity Now mantra in case you hit a bad service night!

• Visited May 2013