“Quiet hotel in busy city” 3 of 5 stars

The Plantation
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28, Street 184, Phnom Penh 1000, Cambodia   |
Ranked #12 of 222 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Antwerp, Belgium
“Quiet hotel in busy city”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Plantation is a quite oasis in the (too) busy heart of Phnom Pehn.
Really beautiful pool, nice and clean rooms. Also nice red pool bar.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Bathrooms are less clean and a bit outdated.
Breakfast and dinner by the pool is delicious, with a wonderful view.
We were invited for the bbq on the roof, but were disappointed by this. Good food, but not what you ordered and overpriced.
Don't ask tuktuks in the hotel, because they are overpriced as well.

Some disappointments, but overall a very nice hotel with even nicer pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a poolview room on the ground floor. Dine in the restaurant by the pool, don't choose t...
thepavilion, Owner at The Plantation, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry you were disappointed with the pricing of the food and the confusion with the order. There are some new people coming in at the service and cooking at the restaurant and we hope to soon provide a better experience of Cambodian authenticate cuisine.

As for the tuk-tuks, they are not linked to us and we recommend to never pay above the maximum rates indicated on the post near the entrance door. Hope this will help.

Cheers,

Alexis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Not the best service, they brought our welcome drinks to us at reception, then gave us our room key, we had 4 bags and they told us we could take our drink if we wanted? We had no hands at all to carry them so left them behind. then on the way to the room the man showing us wanted to walk us around the hotel to show us, we were boiling hot, been on a bus for 6 hours and carrying all our stuff, we told him we-d like to put our stuff down first, so he took us to our room then just left and didn't show us around? Massages are $35 for 90minutes, did not even step foot in their 'spa' you can get a great one down the road for $7. Food is overpriced. Breakfast was included and that was nice, buffet by the pool. Whole hotel is bland, everything is white, I mean EVERYTHING. Needs some character, we're in Cambodia, I want culture. Location is ok, you can walk to street 172 where we liked to go eat and drink for a quarter of the price of the hotel. Overall it was a good experience, but they need to lower the prices while your staying there because you don't want to hang out there and relax, wouldn't exactly call it an 'urban resort and spa' either, just a hotel that has a massage room.

• Stayed June 2013
thepavilion, Owner at The Plantation, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry you did not like the style of our hotel. The reception building dates back from the thirties and has been restored by specialists from Europe. The furniture is colonial and all the furniture and decoration comes from Cambodia.

As for the resort, we have two swimming pools, two cafés and an independent brand new Spa building building with each treatment room intimately turned to a lotus pond, with essential oils scents and relaxing music. Most of the masseuses have been trained in Siem Reap. It is a pity you made a judgement without having a look, particularly with the 30% discount voucher you were provided.

Hope you come and try it next time!

Cheers,

Alexis
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This really is value for money, only a few steps away from the River, the Royal Palace and the Silver Pagoda,
an oasis in the middle of the center. Great staff, very friendly atmosphere and a nice pool in the garden. Just start your day with a perfect breakfast at the pool.
Ask for a room with garden view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with garden view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Superb ambience, clean, nice room, get a free upgrade to the pool view room.
Breakfast area next to pool, food was nice.
Staff was friendly and helpful.
We book the bus to Siem Reap, while we waiting in the lobby, the staff help us to call them to check the arrival few times.
Definitely will stay here again if we visit Phnom Penh again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel was a dream location. Beautiful, clean, modern rooms with contemporary Cambodian styling.
The pool is an oasis with private cabanas that lead into the water, which we beached ourselves in full time!
The service was above and beyond, on top of complimentary poolside fruit smoothies I requested a flower arrangement for my partners birthday. I was happy to pay but they told me it was their gift to us and when we got back to the room there was a dozen yellow roses, a fruit basket and a piece of cheesecake with happy birthday written in chocolate on the plate. There was even a birthday card hand signed by about 30 staff. What can I say .......
Phnom Penh is loud and dirty and this hotel was such a relaxing escape when you need to step back from the mayhem.
The location can't be beat, next to the royal palace and minutes from everything.
Do yourself a favour!

Room Tip: Grab a room with a pool view, you will face into the middle of the hotel where the garden and pool a...
Bowral, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was recommended The Plantation by a good friend Hannah Satz who travels the world reviewing hotels. She could not say enough about how great The Plantation is and insisted that I stay there. I trusted Hannah's good taste and decided to go ahead and book.

However, I arrived in Cambodia under unusual circumstances having to undergo a major operation. I informed the staff about this before my arrival. I had to literally stay in my hotel room under doctors instructions for five days.
When I arrived I knew I could relax because my room was beautiful and clean, looking onto a bamboo tropical garden. I loved the modern feel with touches of Cambodian culture added to it. Very classy and refined. I had a huge flat screen as well.
After the operation, I received a personal visit by the manger of the hotel Ade Jaya and he made sure that my every need was met. Ade was friendly and kind and I really felt that he was sincere in making my stay as enjoyable as it could be.
Without me asking, Ade sent the head chef to visit me to make sure my meals were catered to my liking. The food was delicious, healthy and inexpensive.
I had staff continually bring me water and every time any staff came to the room they all asked how I was doing, making me feel very cared for.
I had a big bouquet of flowers delivered to my room twice within the week.

The hotel is in a convenient location and it was very easy to access transport.
It was a pleasure when I requested a wake up call to have it called personally by the operator and not by a machine.

I cannot thank this hotel enough for all the support they gave me. They really went the extra mile to see if I was ok. I will go back again for sure and I can't wait.
Thank you The Plantation!

P.s. for what you receive in return, this hotel is very reasonable in price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and loved every part of our stay, beginning with the cold cloth, juice and UPGRADE on arrival. Our room was lovely and very clean, the staff were extremly attentive, we didn't eat in the hotel a lot but what we did have was scrumy (I didn't want to leave the breakfst buffet!). My favourite feature was the pool area, the cabanans were bliss in the heat, and the atmosphere was very chilled out and relaxing.

Room Tip: Pool view is definatly worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Plantation? Share your experiences!