“Gorgeous and Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 224 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Brisbane
“Gorgeous and Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

What a wonderful experience we had at Villa Paradiso. The surroundings are heaven, the food,service and staff are excellent. The Owners Sandra & Phillip are there to ensure your stay is something to remember. The Manager Bitta is gorgeous and so helpful. It is a slice of heaven from the busy streets outside. I highly recommended this Boutique Hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We stayed 3 nights in August and booked the Balinese Suite. We picked this hotel following the reviews from TP. Generally, we have found the TP reviews on the whole to match our expectations but this time it fell well short. Initial impression was wow, beautiful restored colonial villa with very grand and recently painted gates with guard outside. Check in was good, room was on the ground floor of villa. Very large room, much bigger than the average hotel with a day bed. However the room was extremely dark (owners are aware as previous guests have pointed out) so much so we had to use a torch to see our clothes in the cupboard! One of the wooden blinds didn't really close properly.

The bathroom was big with a shower over bath. Tiling was extremely poor. The bidet looked liked it had never been used and we soon realised why - the gap on the left side was about 5 cm, so you would be lucky to get your leg between the bidet! Glass bathroom door did not shut, there was a 10 cm gap. The most annoying thing was the hot water button that had to pressed 20 mins before a shower to heat up the water. We forgot the first night and ended up with a cold shower. The second night we did, but it went cold again so you have to keep pressing the button. I struggle to think how it would fill up the corner bath. According to their website they aim for 5 star hotel accommodation but surely no other 5 star hotel would require guests to switch on the hot water supply.

Mosquito net over bed had holes and did not cover the bed adequately, so bring your own and there is most definitely mosquitoes in room as we were bitten.

Swimming pool is a very nice option in dusty Phnom Penh. There is a very nice jacuzzi. There is also a sauna but not sure why anyone would use a sauna after a day walking around Phnom Penh.

Breakfast is limited - 3 choices - continental, American or healthy.

I did use the spa facilities and the masseur was very good.

Staff were friendly. Owners were present with Phillip introducing himself. I just didn't get the feeling that we were looked after on a personal level: there was no interest of what we did or where we went. I get the impression that the owners are trying their best but the hospitality industry is not their professional background.

To summarise: good location, clean, nice garden and good range of facilities but poor bathroom facilities.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
liamnoreen, Owner at The Villa Paradiso, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to make an extensive evaluation of your stay.
Regarding the lights in the Balinese suite, It was meant to create a cozy and romantic atmosphere. We are aware of the fact that the light is dim, and we ordered some flood lights.

Coming from Europe, the construction finishing in Cambodia was a challenge for us, specially with the tiles, sanitary ware and mixers from Italy, we were giving our best with the local contractors to match the quality of the equipment. The photo of the bidet you are showing, can show the quality of the equipment, and unfortunately the quality of local labor jobs. But then again, we ARE in CAMBODIA, with Cambodian room rates.
We are very conscious about the environment at every level we can: Hot water boiler, A/C cards in rooms, thermos drinking water to be re-filled as many times as our guest like (to avoid plastics), etc. We cannot regret if this has led to inconvenience.
As for us showing interest in your plans or what you are doing, we try our best to greet and treat all our customers in the most accomodating and friendly way without being heavy on them.
We regret that despite all the positive points you experienced you still decided not to recommend us to friends.
We would be interested if you could find a hotel in Phnom Penh, same category as ours, that would match what we offer our guests (despite the tiling job)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Very good location and an oasis of calm from the bustle of Phnom Penh. The care and thoughtfulness the owners have put into their guesthouse is evident everywhere, from the room comfort, decor, sensible environment-friendly touches, to the lovely restaurant/pool area - style and quality throughout. Owners and staff are friendly, and speaking as someone who has logged many traveller miles, I cannot compliment the owners more highly than say it is one of only a handful of places that I have ever stayed in which have made me feel so welcome. Were I able to stay longer than the two days I had planned to spend in Phnom Penh, I certainly would have done.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Having just spend 8 days at Villa Paradiso, it is hard to get back to normal life. I have to admit that this has been the most enjoyable Hotel experience ever, from the beautiful grounds to the magnificent building to the individualized, stylish and comfortable rooms. The staff and service has been outstanding and I just want to go back for more.. Can't say enough good things except give it a try and you'll be a fan too..

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I don't know where to begin. This was the best hotel experience I've ever had. I was there on business with a theatre & film crew and we stayed one night before leaving for Siem Reap, then we came back and stayed 11 more days. I was in two different rooms and both were cozy. The Balinese Garden Suite was the more expensive of the two, but well worth the price. It is room #2, right inside the entrance of the hotel, with a view of the pool and restaurant. Phillip and Sandra, the owners, are very passionate about their hotel and their work and are very good to their employees. This energy is present everywhere, even with the Guard and Tuk-Tuk drivers always readily available right outside the entrance. Phillip and Sandra are very present, something you don't see a lot with hotel owners or managers. They interact warmly with the guests and the staff, and make you feel at home, so much so that you feel homesick for the place when you leave. The staff is amazing. Each massage therapist is hand picked and tested by the owners, (their interview includes a massage). Kmer massage, aromatherapy, foot massage, all wonderful. There is a "Spa Desk" in the office where there are many services to choose from and sign up. You are pampered here at The Villa Paradiso. I will definitely be going back, and recommending this place to my friends.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

This little taste of paradise is tucked behind a high wall just a short tuk tuk ride away from anywhere in the city.
Each time I explored the hotel a bit further I was greeted with a surprise... beautiful flowers and amazing landscaping surround a pool just behind the bar, and a very powerful jacuzzi awaits just beyond that. The rooms each have a theme and since my friends stayed in the other rooms, I got to take a peak... and was not disappointed.
The only thing better than the pool, jacuzzi and FOOD (did I mention the chef is fantastic?), is the staff. From the owners, to the waiters and security guards... I felt safe and completely pampered. I actually miss the staff! Allow me to explain, so you understand my lack of exaggeration. I became sick in the middle of the night at one point, and the security guard pointed me to the nearest emergency center... later the chef prepared me a special, traditional rice porridge for my tummy that was not on the menu. That's a hop and a skip from mama's care back in Texas.
The only complaint I can give is second hand, since I was told one of the room's by the pool is a bit loud at night. Other than that... superb. :) Can't wait to go back during my next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

LOVED THIS HOTEL!! I would highly recommend it to everyone. I had the pleasure of staying several days and the staff was super friendly and helpful at all times. Food is excellent! Massage was awesome. Room and bathroom always clean. What else could you want!

• Stayed August 2010

Been to The Villa Paradiso? Share your experiences!