“Sharing is Caring” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 273 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Sharing is Caring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I arrived here 2 weeks ago thanks to a friend who recommended me to stay in this place. Unfortunately, I lost all my belonging on the road, including my passport, my money, etc. 5 days after my arrival.. However, all the staff have been awesome with me.

Knowing I had money issue until I got a new passport, Rose, one of the manager, paid me lunches many times as well as other staff people and helped me a lot. I've even been invited to the maid's family at the countryside to celebrate the new Cambodian year. It was amazing!

I slept for free on a bed reserved to staff for few days and thanks to the bar downstairs (where I spent incredible time there), I met someone who offered me to stay at his place for free.. "Sharing is Caring" is what he said and that's definitively the motto of Cambodia soul.

Basically, I lost everything, but I get a family.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Really good find this. Surprised it's not higher up the rankings in Phnom Penh (was #50 at time of writing this)

I headed down to this part of town, initially hoping to stay at 'Top Banana' which is just around the corner. They didn't have any room, so suggested Mini Banana and here to us.

I really wouldn't waste your time with Mini Banana, it was a dump, this place is much better.

Paid $10 a night for a private room with double bed and fan. Room was clean and pretty quiet.

There is a really good bar downstairs with a free pool table and wifi. The owners and staff and really friendly and helpful.

The hostel is rough walking distances from the following:

Sisowath Quay: 15 mins
Grand Palace/Silver Pagoda: 10min
Indpendence Monument: 5mins

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

First time at Blue dog, the look from the outside at night is spectacular, the lights from top to bottom and around the lovely restaurant are really nice. We were staying here on a business trip with 2 days of holiday and we were in love with the bar since we stepped in. The nice man at the bar welcomed us and escorted us to the room in which he made us a tour of the room and the amenities. The room service we ordered was just in time every day and offered us a delicious American Breakfast with fresh juices (we found out that you can order any type of meal at any time of the day which is awesome and a lot more convenient than at other locations). Also, the internet worked incredibly fast everywhere in the hotel and the housekeeping ladies were really efficient and on time everyday. We also loved the Blue dog Restaurant which offers a great variety of Oriental dishes which is great and hard to find. In general, the service was excellent, the hole experience made us feel like at home and I would really recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cambodia. JSTH

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 weeks in January. The rooms were clean, basic and cheap but had everything you needed. It's in a great location and has a very cool pub downstairs called the blue dog. We spend most of our evenings here and met people from all over the world, we had a lot of fun. The staff were great and very helpful and were happy to give tips and recommendations on the area or tours. I would definitely recommend this place for young travellers or any travellers looking for fun. Can't wait to return, Thank you!

• Stayed January 2013
Phnom Penh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This bar is full of character and brings in a good crowd. A great place to hang out for a few hours and drink with super cheap and yum food! Phnom Penh is not known for its hospitality service, however should a meal take longer then the "western allocated time," chill out there is a pool table and cheap drinks to fill your time. Staff are very sweet and friendly- watch out for the owners, they are responsible for causing hangovers!!!

Great burgers, try the corn pizza!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I really loved my stay at the blue dog. The staff are amazing! they are all so friendly and helpful. The bar is a really fun place to hang out, drink and make new friends - play epic games of jenga! It is well priced and good value for money. The bar is cheap! I didn't eat very much from the restaurant but the few things that I did get were all really nice.. I can't remember what it was called but there is an eggplant and pork thing that was delicious! The location was great, close to heaps of things to see and do.. I would recommend it to anyone =D

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

It is well located and the cheaper around the area (15USD w/ fan), BUT the room was infested with mosquitoes and smelled to DDT. There's a bar downstairs so it is very very noisy until 3 or 4 am (every day). We chose a room with fan and at night it was so hot, it was impossible to sleep....
I recommend to go a bit further and pay the same price for so much better value of hotels...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Dog Guesthouse? Share your experiences!