“good value in after-lakeside PP” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Number 9 Guesthouse

Number 9 Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phnom Penh
Number 9 Guesthouse
You added Number 9 Guesthouse to your Saves list
9 Ph 93, Boeng Kak, Phnom Penh, Cambodia   |
wien
“good value in after-lakeside PP”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

number 9 has changed from its legendary lakeside days. expect a kind of "US-Mallorca" atmosphere. service, rooms and food is allright. for bus bookings go to lazy gecko in tje same street instead. location is.good, near riverside and palace, away from top banana playground.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Well, this place has the potential to be nice. It has a good location, under 10 mins walk from the royal palace and the river, but it doesn't seem to try too hard to please.

I was given a 'nice' twin room, as a shook traveller, with window that I was told had a view. Yes, indeed, a view... Of a rooftop and a rather grubby neighbouring hotel. Still, I understand that many other rooms don't have a window, and at $25 per night, perhaps I am being picky.

The room was a decent size, though the beds were decidedly uncomfortable, had mattresses and hard pillows included. The bathroom was pretty grubby, also, with patches of damp and a drain that never fully drained all the water away. No safe in the room, and no cleaning for 3 days could have also turned me against it.

While food was ok (though I would recommend you don't have the French breakfast, which consisted of a croissant and a pain au chocolat that we're more fat than pastry) and the happy hour drinks were good value, there are plenty of nearby places that will serve you better. Malis, for example, or Sugar Palm.

The crowning glory for No.9 came when I asked about the bus service to Battambang. I was told there is only one bus per day. It leaves at 8.30 and it costs 12 USD. Ok, I was gullible, I was naive. I had even researched this before my trip. But I believed them and I paid up. When, an hour or two later, I discovered that there were other buses serving this route, at half the price, and with fewer reviews that suggested the drivers were likely to kill you and the other passengers, I went to change my ticket. 'No refunds', I was informed. 'It's a small bus, and it's much quicker' (another less than truthful statement, I was to find out the next day). 'You should have checked before you paid'.... Maybe I should, but to blatantly lie to a guest and then refuse to change the ticket is not on.

Anyway, enough moaning. I wouldn't stay here again. There are better places at better prices and with better service. There's a free 5m square pool here! though, if that tips the balance...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We found a positive review in Lonely Planet, we should have check a tripadvisor...Misguided, we were expecting something wow. However, we got a keys to a mouldy, claustrophobic room with no window. we wanted to have a quick nap before heading to town but music was simply too load (although there was almost no one in a lounge). Therefore we have decided to relax in a pool, unfortunately water was cold and we have decided to leave. Of course no refund. Room was overpriced (25$ during off season), location bad, food average. Avoid!

• Stayed September 2013
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This place is an example of what I like to call "LP syndrome," a disease affecting many guesthouses and hostels listed in the Lonely Planet. Whenever a new LP edition is published recommending a guesthouse or hostel for the first time, that guesthouse or hostel gets busy. Some places handle the increased business well, others don't. Number 9 guesthouse falls in the latter category.

Now maybe the place was pretty good when the travel writer stayed there, but after getting listed in LP management knows that: A) they've got it made and B) they don't have to try as hard anymore. Therefore prices go up, and overall quality drops. People in the know learn to avoid said hotel or guesthouse after some time, but less savvy travelers who depend solely on the LP will continue to stay there in droves until the hotel is removed from the guidebook after 1 or 2 editions (2-3 years). Then, the name of the guesthouse or hostel is changed and the process repeated.

Protip: To avoid staying at places like this, use trip advisor (as you are) and only look at the most recent reviews. If I had followed my own rules I wouldn't have stayed here.

As for the guesthouse itself, there are much better places for much cheaper. I mentioned to the front desk that for what they're charging they should at least throw in breakfast and I was rebuffed. Our room was small, smelled of mildew, and had water stains on the wall. No elevator either. The bar area is pretty solid. I met an expat from Texas with whom I had a long and interesting conversation. Otherwise this place gets one circle.

TL;DR: A mention in the LP can be the goose that lays the golden egg. Don't stay here, but swing by the bar if you're in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Beware the hotel that asks you to pay for the first night before you see your room. Lonely Planet missed some important details. First, the hotel is over a bar. None of the rooms, we were told, has a window. Worst, though, was the strong odor of mold with obvious blooms and stains on the wall and a fritzy a/c. We dropped our bags, lined up another hotel and moved an hour later. When we explained why, I was made to show the attendant the mold before she would cancel the booking. Our first night was refunded only after some real wrangling. Do not confuse this with the new boutique Number 9 hotel!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We booked a room, airport transfer and onward car to Sihanoukville two months in advance and received an email from the hotel confirming all was booked. I then rang two days ahead of arrival and they had no recollection of this. Not the end of the world, especially as they then said they would make a new reservation and confirmed everything and took flight details for the transfer. We arrived at the airport early evening and no one was there, I called the hotel and they said the driver had been delayed so we took a taxi. Upon arrival at the hotel they claimed no knowledge of the phone call made 30 minutes prior and said they never received a booking - I showed them their confirmation email and they merely shrugged their shoulders. A lost booking could almost be forgiven if I hadn't rung again two days prior to confirm and rung 30 minutes before arrival and they said the driver was merely late. They offered no apology. 3 weeks into a 2 month trip, we've stayed in some amazing low budget hotels - this is unacceptable from a hotel rated so highly on trip advisor and in Lonely Planet. It left us with nowhere to stay on our first night and no onward transfer as had been promised - not a great intro to Cambodia.
The manager wasn't there at the time and I would be intrigued to know what his/her explanation is.

Stayed January 2013
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

The photo attached to this page is definitely not for this hotel but after reading the reviews I know I am on the right page. Good new first- excellent location, central for palace and riverfront. Breakfast very good. Lovely waiting staff, very attentive. Very reasonably priced. Now for the bad news. We booked a family room with three beds which wad not available. We were shown instead to a double with a window onto a wall which was dark and damp. We declined and were then offered a double and a single. The single had no hanging space and was tiny. We again declined and were told that if we stayed in the original room, which was suddenly being described as a family room, for one night, they would move some other guests in the morning so we could have our family room. It transpires that the couple had already been moved five times but were happy to accommodate us. We felt very bad ad one of the couple had a bad leg and were bring moved to the forth floor- needless to say there was no lift.
We used the jacuzzi pool once but stopped once my son gashed his foot on a piece of glass in the tub. We did not see the pool cleaned during our 5 day stay.
Our room was dated. The toilet cistern broke after one day and the bathroom flooded. Thereafter it smelt awful.
My party always travels with out own kettle as we enjoy a cup fist thing and before bed. Large signs prohibit the use of these in the room. They kept running out of English breakfast tea so I took to supplying them with my own tea bags.
I did smile when I saw one customers bill which said her name was 'one old lady'

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Number 9 Guesthouse? Share your experiences!