“Almond needs renovating & better customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Almond Hotel Phnom Penh

You added Almond Hotel Phnom Penh to your Saves list
Almond Hotel Phnom Penh
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   N 128F, Sothearos Blvd | corner of Russian Embassy, Phnom Penh 12301, Cambodia   |
Ranked #58 of 233 Hotels in Phnom Penh
New York City, New York
“Almond needs renovating & better customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Pros:
1) Low cost.
2) Tasty breakfast.
3) Well known locally (i.e. cab and tuk tuk drivers know where hotel is)

Cons:
1) Hotel needs renovating. Looks like a Chinese hotel from the early 90's. Lots of drab grey concrete, dated decor.
2) Poor customer service. Examples include:
a. There was no soap in the bathroom when we first arrived. We called the front desk to have it delivered. It never came. Luckily there was a cleaning lady on our floor and we snagged a bar.
b. We needed to leave at 4:30am to catch our flight. The front desk guy said that is very early, difficult to catch a cab, could we leave at 5am instead. We looked at him incredulously and said no, if we left at 5am we'd miss our flight. He looked back at us puzzled. We told him to please try and reserve a car for 4:30. He tried and we got our car reservation for 4:30.
c. The breakfast buffet was crowded - no seats. So we grabbed our plates and sat in the lobby. No hotel staff acknowledged us or offered assistance.
3) Almond touts itself as good for business travelers. Untrue. We needed to print something out. "Business center" had 2 ancient computers. Printer didn't work.

Net net: Stay at another hotel. For $75/night, you can find somewhere better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Leakhena P, General Manager at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Warmest Greeting From Almond Hotel in PP...!

First of all, I would like to say thank for your commented. It is helpful for us with all your points. We learned a lot from you.

On be half of management, we are appreciated you.

Business Development & Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Thai first
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The first thing I noticed was a sign on the bathroom mirror than in both Cambodian and English said: STOP CHILD SEXUAL EXPLOITATION. I don't know if this was a hotel thing or government thing; however, It made me feel a little creepy in the hotel knowing that that could go on here. It is just a little different from what signs most hotels have, i.e. "save the environment, don't waste water, and use your towels again", etc.

I stayed in the hotel as part of a tour package, I didn't pick it. My guess it is priced fairly reasonable or the tour company wouldn't have selected it. All the important things worked, toilet, shower, and air conditioning, etc. However, the one afternoon there was a power outage and the air conditioner did not automatically come back on so it was quite warm when I returned. It takes a few hours for the air conditioner to fully cool the room. Also, the air conditioner operates on a remote control. but the air conditioning unit is not in the room. There is very small sensor on the ceiling by the closet. The remote has to be aimed at (and close to) the sensor for it to work. If my tour guide hadn't told me about it I might never have found it. The hotel is just average, it is not close to anything a tourist wants to go to. However, it was a decent hotel and most of the employees were friendly. A couple other things:

1) Like most hotels we stayed at this hotel only had one elevator and it was very small and very slow.

2) the included breakfast only included one small glass of orange juice and one cup of coffee, other than that it was all right.

3) The shower does have hot water; however it takes a good 3 - 4 minutes to come out hot. Now I was on the 5th floor and maybe the hot water heater is in the basement. But one it came it was good and hot.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir / Madam,

Warmest Greeting From Almond Hotel in Phnom Penh....!

First of all, I would like to say thank for your commented. I will share all thing with my team to update our self to be better.

On be half of my management team, I really appreciate you.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was the second time in fours years that i have stayed at this hotel. The wifi has gotten faster and more thorough distribution througout the hotel. Guests may access wifi both from their room and the cafe. The charge was $55/night which included breakfast. Breakfast was a selection of fruit, pastries, bread, eggs or an omelette made to order. In the evening i could walk to the King's palace in 20 - 30 minutes and walk along the river (Mekong?) on my return. They have an exercise facility which i did not have time to visit. Although i was met by a client at the airport upon arrival at departure i hired a taxi through the hotel paying the hotel $9 for the trip. I used the laundry services which were as good as anyone might expect. I would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Leakhena P, Director of Sales at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Value Guests,

Warmest Greeting From Almond Hotel...!

First of all, I would like to say thank for your support and stayed in almond hotel during your trip in Phnom Penh.

On behalf of management team in almond hotel, I really appreciated on your commend to us.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your family come to stay us in the next trip.

Caronno Pertusella, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Let's start with airport pickup that for some unknown reasons was not done.
The hotel is located in a busy area nearby a road fully packed with prostitute of all ages. The first night there I went out for a walk and i was literally assaulted by dozens of people trying to sell me all kind of sexual services. Crazy!
Rooms are very basic, I had mine with windows facing the road and I was waked up every morning before the sunset by the motorbikes and car honking on the street. Windows are not sound insulated
Bathroom was a mess, with no shower plate so basically every this I had a shower the whole bathroom was flooded. The toilet bowl was leaking, nothing was done after my reporting.
One day they lost my laundry, despite many calls to room service and front desk they did not returned my call. Only at the end of the next day they returned my laundry in an indecent state. Imagine an elephant that carried your laundry in a bag tied to his trunk and you get the idea!
Morning breakfast buffet was basically nothing, one of the worst and poorest I ever seen in my life in southeast Asia.
In the room there was a kind of "desk" where I had the idea to pull in and switch on my laptop and... surprise! There was no power outlet where to plug the power supply. I had to literally pull the heavy furniture off the wall and roam behind. I had to remove the TV plug and use to power my laptop.
The door of the room was thick as a piece of paper so I could basically hear everything was going on in the corridor.
This was the first and for sure the last time I will be there. Sorry, it was really shameful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

A very nice 3 star hotel, our deluxe room spacious, clean, with all the necessary supplies and amenities, complimentary bottles of water, free wifi, nice view.We didn't use the elevator of the reception but an elevator behind the restaurants.It had two restaurants with chinese food and sushi (always full especially with Asian people). They also served various dishes In the breakfast area and had a corner with sweets and cakes.The stuff as they should be in every hotel.They wore local dresses as in many hotels in South Asia.Very pleased!!!

Room Tip: Try the deluxe rooms I don't think they are expensive.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leakhena P, Director of Sales at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Sir or Madam,

Warmest Greeting From Almond Hotel in Phnom Penh..!

With regard to your commend, On behalf of my team. I would like to say thanks for your value time to wrote on trip advisor of us. I will share all your commend with my team to keep consistant.

From Almond Hotel Management Team
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The rooms are good and so is the restaurant in the lobby. The lift is slow and hot. Lacks facilities such as swimming pool and gym. However, the hotel is very clean, staff are friendly and there's wifi everywhere.

• Stayed February 2013
Petaling Jaya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

A friend of mine did the booking and it was somewhat a pleasant stay. Staffs were friendly and helpful. Bed was comfortable although the room size is a little small. Great spread for breakfast. We had dinner one night at the hotel's in-house restaurant and dishes were not bad at all. In terms of location, it is quite strategic. There are also wellness spas/massage centres nearby the hotel. I can't think of any negative comments towards this hotel, so this hotel is definitely recommended!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Almond Hotel Phnom Penh? Share your experiences!