“ate in restaurant and we both got gastro!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Amber Villa & Restaurant

Amber Villa & Restaurant
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Phnom Penh
Amber Villa & Restaurant
You added Amber Villa & Restaurant to your Saves list
No. 7B, St 278, BKK I, Chamkamorn, Phnom Penh, Cambodia   |
Ranked #118 of 233 Hotels in Phnom Penh
“ate in restaurant and we both got gastro!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We had eaten here before (2 years ago) on recommendation of our guest house, so we thought we would try it again.
We ordered hamburgers (craving some western food) and ended up waiting 45+ minutes and being the only ones in the restaurant (a warning in itself!) for our small burgers and cold chips to arrive.
They tasted alright, but my boyfriend got sick at 2am and I got sick at 7am with severe gastro =( not fun.
we would not recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've been in all of Amber House's (a part of Amber Villa chain) rooms.

Advantages: Free laundry, A/C, Wi-Fi, cable TV with DVD player, wooden vault in room, close to food (restaurants, bars & the foreigner-geared Lucky Market), I've never seen theft, and a generally accommodating staff (arranging tours, safe-holding your luggage after check out time).

Disadvantages: Wi-fi is always slow and sometimes off, you have to walk up several flights of stairs to your room (1 flight for apt 16 on the bottom and ~6 flights for apt 32 on the top), "hot" water is often just lukewarm (esp during peak shower hours in the morning), quirky and unsafe installations of tubs/sinks/toilets/electrical, the maid usually turns off your A/C when you're gone, and hotel staff carry around loud walkie-talkies that work with the loud office phone to wake you up nice and early.

Amber House is clean, but that's not true of their other properties, such as the Golden Star across the street.

Room Tip: #16 (1 king)=close to wi-fi, least stairs to walk
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
South Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

I stayed at Amber House, a sister property very close to Amber Villa. I am not hugely fussy, but I moved after one night. I had been put in one of the cheaper rooms and was supposed to move to a better room for the remainder of my stay. The room I was put in initially had a window that was one foot from the neighbour's balcony, so with the curtains open, I could watch them watching tv. So, had to keep the curtains shut the whole time. There was quite a bit of internal noise of people (staff?) calling to one another and phones ringing. The room was clean enough, but does look much better in their photos with little touches of silk etc. Bathtub was just sitting on some pieces of brick ie. not properly installed, although the hot water was good. Staff weren't able to be very helpful in providing maps - when I asked, they tore one out of a magazine, though the map wasn't very good (many street names missing). They were helpful when I decided to leave, and helped me arrange a tuk tuk and gave the driver instructions. They were also able to arrange an airport pickup on arrival which was helpful - though they didn't explain that I should pay the driver directly and I didn't have money on arrival. The location is good, with a number of cute boutiques and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Wagga Wagga, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Lovely staff, good service. My favourite place in Phnom Penh

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

This hotel is just average and overpriced. I do not understand at all why it is marked at the Lonley Planet as their "pick-up" ? The rooms are very simple and dark, at least the one we go for a high price, window faced a wall. The breakfast is included, but be carefull when the staff ask you if you whant to have a second cup of coffee as you will be charged for this re-fill ! The best of this place is maybe the location, as there are many good restaurants just outside around the streets.
I'm still wondering what the autor of the famous Lonley Planet travel book find that special on this place - we did not find it at all and we would say the high room price are not the value you expect !

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

When you book here, like it or not, you can end up in one of a number of hotels in the area run by the same people. In the hotel we stayed in the rooms were clean enough though a bit dark and hardly roomy. The service was ok but slightly officious to start with (maybe just a big city thing) but they did become a little friendlier over time.

We had to catch a bus in the morning (which the hotel had organised for us) but the breakfast took so long to arrive we really had little time to eat it. What we had was just ok.

There are certainly better places to eat than in the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I stayed at the Amber Villa for a week, and enjoyed it. They have nice big rooms, friendly staff and great food. They also included a free breakfast, which was always excellent, they had great coffee, free wifi and laundry. While it is not located near the popular sights, it central enough that everything is a short tuk tuk or moto ride away. I highly recommend the Amber Villa and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Amber Villa & Restaurant? Share your experiences!