“Tranquil spot in busy Phom Penh” 4 of 5 stars

The Quay
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   277 Sisowath Quay, Phnom Penh, Cambodia   |
Ranked #43 of 203 hotels in Phnom Penh
London UK
“Tranquil spot in busy Phom Penh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

Great location along river, small and personal, with good service. We had booked 3 rooms for 5 of us and initially they gave us the wrong rooms, but it was just a case of exchanging cards between us. Had panoramic room so we could have an extra bed to make a twin room - no problem in this huge room (with huge bathroom too). Balcony over the river front view was great place for taking photos, looking down to spot the greatest number of people on one motorbike - we spotted family of 7! Potentially noisy but good double glazing and aircon so it wasn't a problem. They had roof terrace with large jacuzzi, and bar stools with great view. Breakfast was to order - good choice and well cooked, their scrambled egg was best I have had. Lots of good restaurants to hand - eating in PP is so cheap. Would definitely stay there again. Only downside was the strange kind of plug in the sink - it sort of screwed up and down - not great for contact lens wearers, but we got a small bowl to use.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I booked this hotel online on 27 Sep and paid full via PayPal. (Reservation number GK4545, USD286) Due to changes in travel arrangements, I had to cancel my reservations on 03 Oct. This is definitely in line with the cancellation policy since my reservations are for 05 Nov, and I should get a full refund. My cancellation was acknowledged on the same day, but there was no response to my query on when would my payment be refunded. ONE MONTH, and FIVE reminder emails later, there is still no word about my refund. Not a single response from the hotel. So be warned! The photos look great, and they are quick to take your money, but they will not respond at all if you cancel and want to get your rightful refund.

• Stayed October 2009
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

It's a shame that this lovely hotel is crammed between 2 buildings in one of the noisiest parts of the city. For those who like the sound of college fraternity parties, stay on the top (fourth) floor where you will hear every drunken laugh from the rooftop bar above. Designed in great taste, with nothing Cambodian about it, the acoustics are the worst I have ever experienced in a hotel. The standard rooms are small and without windows, so you could be anywhere. The panoramic suites larger, with views of the river and the construction.

Staff could not be nicer and apologized for the noise, but even the $30 a day credit at their family of restaurants and free WiFi could not compensate for the paper-thin walls and poor acoustics. I regret that I didn't move to the third floor at the start of my stay. Better yet, I regret that I was unable to book the Pavilion Hotel sooner as they offer it all: peace, beauty, comfort, and a taste of Cambodia.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

To be honest I did not have high expectations of the Quay, the reviews are generally favourable but not great. I was pleasantly surprised from the time I arrived at the airport until I left, The Quay exceeded all my expectations.

The rooms are nice, very stylish and modern. I stayed in the larger rooms with the view of the river/road. Some people complain of the noise from the road, but it was not a big issue for me and you have to be realistic......you are in Phnom Penh, quiet roads are few and far between.

The lobby restaurant serves great food, and breakfast can be served in your room at no extra cost (doesn't happen in many places!). The roof top bar is great for a chillout cocktail after a hectic day. The local area has many restaurants and bars and you are walking distance to the Palace and museum. The location is perfect!

This costs a little more than other places in PP, but alot less than other similar places around Asia. I wish there were more places like this. I often stay in large 5* hotels but both my girlfriend and I loved staying in this small hidden gem in Phnom Penh.

Beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Location is great to be able to walk to the palace and museum. Hotel is right on the river bank, however rooms facing to the front of the building are really noisy at night. Design of the hotel is nice, but upkeeping is not as good. The room that we had seems to be tired already. Restaurant was quiet when we were there.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed at the Quay twice during our trip around Cambodia and enjoyed our stay on both occasions. The hotel is situated on the quayside and is in a great location for plenty of bars and restuarants. As it was during the low season, we were able to take advantage of the internet offer and get one of the standard rooms for USD80 per night with USD20 to spend in the hotel or at the FCC down the road. We found this was very good value and recommend people look out for the offers on its website.
As I said we stayed in one of the standard rooms at the back of the hotel and despite not having a window to the outside world, the room is cleverly lit and spacious. The fitting were high quality and it had a great bed and bathroom. There was also a very nice plate of fresh fruit and welcome drink on arrival.
One of the strong points of the hotel is its roof terrace which looks out onto Tonle Sap and the Mekong and a great place to take advantage of the hotel's happy hour drinks whilst the sun sets. It also has a rooftop jacuzzi for residents which is extremely pleasant after a hot day of sightseeing. In addition the food is good quality if a little expensive for PP but no worst than the other big hotels in the city.
All in all our stay was very pleasant and good value. Definitely worth a visit for drinks at happy hour alone if you don't stay there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

This place is a gem and we really enjoyed our two night stay at The Quay.

The location of the hotel is great, the rooms are spotless clean, the design is nice and the food is delicious.

If you stay at the hotel, they give you a $20/day credit to spend at their sister establishments in PP including the FCC.

Look no further if you are looking for a place to stay in PP.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Quay? Share your experiences!