“A great Westin but highly overpriced!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Dhaka

You added Westin Dhaka to your Saves list
Westin Dhaka
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Gulshan Avenue | Plot-01, Rd 45, Gulshan-2, Dhaka City 1212, Bangladesh   |
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Dhaka City
Karachi
“A great Westin but highly overpriced!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I have been staying at Westin Dhaka every 3-4 months now, last one being in May 2012. Over the last 2 years I have seen prices increase at a visible pace, and now I can say that the hotel is overpriced. Dhaka, unfortunately, does not have many 5 star hotel options, and I think Westin owners are taking advantage of this. I am hoping other 5 star international brands also open up so that prices come down to a sane level.

Having made this initial comment, I don't want to take anything away from the otherwise good experiences I have had at the hotel. I have found the staff to be pleasant, smiling, willing to help. Check-in and check-out have been generally hassle free. The rooms are of reasonable size, bathrooms are huge, all necessary amenities are present.
Breakfast spread is reasonable. I tried the italian restaurant, Prego last time around and the food was excellent, but again overpriced.
Suitability of the location will depend on where your business is in Dhaka. If it is in the main district business, then you need to give over an hour of travel time in the atrocious Dhaka traffic. If it is in or near the Gulshan/Banani area, then you are fine.
All in all, my only issue is the price and even with my Company paying for it, I am not sure if next time around I will be able to afford Westin Dhaka. Already have started to look for other alternatives for my next trip.

Room Tip: If you can, use any local connections to get best corporate rates.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Nazrul I, Manager at Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review of our property. It is good to see that you have noticed our friendliness. You have also written about our huge bathrooms and rooms together with our fine amenties.

We have noted down your concern our our prices as well.

Thank you.

Nazrul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

As our corporate hotel, The Westin is by far the best hotel to stay in Dhaka. There is a stark contrast between the hotel and surrounding area but as a western traveller it provides everything required to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. The staff are friendly and helpful and there is a relatively good choice of food. It would be nicer to have a greater choice on the room service menu but this does mean your more inclined to dine in one of the restaurants.
Room amenities are good and the bed is very comfortable. It would be nice to see wifi extended into rooms as this would save having to go to the lobby when using iPads etc, as I did. I especially liked the little treats left in my room each day by housekeeping. Something to enjoy after a long day on the road!
In essence The Westin certainly strives to make your stay a comfortable and pleasurable one.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Nazrul I, Manager at Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to see that you have described our hotel as the BEST CORPORATE HOTEL in the city. This will further motivate us to do better.

Looking forward to meet you soon in our hotel.

Thank you.

Dakar, Senegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have not stayed the night at the hotel, but as a foreigner living in Dhaka, I love coming to the Westin where I am a member of the gym and pool. I think the staff taking care of the gym is excellent. The equipment is state of the art and is always cleaned after each user. The showers are excellent and as well very clean. The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are in excellent in condition and very clean :-) If you get the point. The pool is great and there are always fun people to meet. I also love the breads from the bakery downs stairs, the mini cakes, the fish dish at the pool cafe and the italian restaurant serves some great salads and soups. This hotel is on the pricey end compared to Dhaka prices, but I still find myself ordering a caesar salad from the cafe downstairs after a hard work out at least twice a week and every weekend eat lunch after a hard work out poolside or in the italian cafe (if raining ) because the food is excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Nazrul I, Manager at Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Gym User,

Thank you for your review. It is great to see that are efforts to be our best in offering services everywhere are being noticed by our valued guests. We can assure you that you will receive the same level of services in all other departments of the hotel.

We will be very happy to have you as our room guest!

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Three days at the Westin, Dhaka was three days too much. Over hyped and over priced the hotel is best avoided. The quality of rooms, the lounge, dining room and service et al leave much to be desired. Actually the whole experience was a complete ripoff!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Nazrul I, Manager at Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We have taken your comments very seriously and would like to assure you that we will work on it.

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Westin at Dhaka, in Bangladesh, is a true oasis in the chaos of the city lying at your feet. The staff is very polite and helpful, ready to assist anyone who needs a little help, while the restaurant and bar at the 23rd floor offer a panoramic view of Dhaka. The only drawback is perhaps the very high prices, which may be normal for any other city in the western world but strike a sharp contrast with the reality in Bangladesh.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floors as the sound of the constant honking of the cars underneath can be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nazrul I, Manager at Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to see that you have noticed the 'true' oasis' in the city of Dhaka and the helpfulness of our associates. We always try to provide our guests with services that are of international standard in every respect but mixed with local flavor.

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We look forward to your return to our property soon.

Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

hotel would like to be what it cannot be...
room price overpriced compared a similar category hotel worldwide, and after charge more than 45 usd for dinner buffet, they charge by separate the plain water or soft drinks cost.

Understand that not too much options in dhaka, but use it like excuse for robbery , is not acceptable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Nazrul I, Manager at Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Comments from guests like you always guide us to improve our services.

Looking forward to welcome you at The Westin Dhaka during your next visit in the city.

Pattaya, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The Hotel have all what you need, but for this price you will expect more. The prices 250 + + USD for a normal room is very high but that is Dhaka and it will be also in the future before not more international Hotel chains are open Hotels there.

They have no Competiters there. There are only a Radisson more near to the airport what is from my side better then the Westin and a Pan Pac at the other end of the city.

It starts at the Airport when you arrive with long time waiting for your luggage and than when you drive to the Hotel you have the first feeling of Dhaka. Dirty, loud and traffic jams and it can take you up to 1 hour to reach the Hotel. But this have for sure nothing to do with the Hotel, only for general info.

The Hotel is a modern building with a lobby what I don't like at all. You go than for check in 1 floor up and it looks for me that the reception staff are not trained and un organized. It can take 1 hour and more for check in. The rooms are spacious but not well maintained and clean. The Housekeeping must be trained better in detail I found hairs in the shower dust everywhere and even 1 old slipper was under the bed.

The Breakfast is nothing special. The Lunch Buffet is average and the hot dishes are mostly luke warm and not very tasty. salad Bar ok, dessert i don't try because it was not looking good. Dinner Buffet same.
They have one Restaurant called Prego what ambience is great. But this is the only one what was great. It is absolutly overpriced and the food is very poor. I had a Beef tenderloin what was ordered medium, comes out well done, the sauce was water, the vegetables were totally overcooked and the fries old and cold. The Prego Bar is a Bar with live entertainment and the Band in the moment is not so good like the one before. Prices again to high even for soft drinks.Beer at the moment a 330 ml can 11 USD.

All in all in any other city from our globe i will avoid a Westin like this but you have no other change because also the Radisson is always full booked and you must be lucky to get a room there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
GMWESTIN, General Manager at Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for your comments based on you personal experiences with Dhaka and The Westin Dhaka. I understand your sentiments and can only assure you that we try to meet and exceed guest expectations. We shall as a team based on your comments take note and endevour to deliver. Once again thank you .

kind regards

Azeem shah

Been to Westin Dhaka? Share your experiences!