“The Holiday Inn feels like a safe haven in Baku-- wheelchair travel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Baku Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Baku Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Baku Airport Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Heydar Aliyev International Airport, Baku 1044, Azerbaijan   |
Ranked #21 of 89 Hotels in Baku
Anaheim, California
“The Holiday Inn feels like a safe haven in Baku-- wheelchair travel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

We were in Baku for a friend's wedding. The Holiday Inn at the airport was the newest hotel in town when we went. This was important because we needed a wheelchair-accessible bathroom. The bathroom worked, but wasn't great. The shower water drained out of the bathroom and soaked the carpet every time. On the plus side, the room was huge and had a great view of the airport.
Traveling to Baku in a wheelchair is not easy, but we did it. The city center has sidewalks without cutouts. Unless, you can jump them, you'll need help. There are no crosswalks, and the cars drive any which way they want. Instead of signaling, they honk. Instead of slowing down, they honk. It's pretty chaotic on the streets. Driving lanes are mere "suggestions." You get the picture.
The worst part of our trip was trying to board the aircraft to leave Baku. Our wheelchair would not fit through the x-ray scanner, and we could not pass through the metal detector because it was not wide enough. No one spoke English. Everyone boarded before us, even though we arrived 2 hours early for our flight to London. When they finally got an escort and a boarding chair for us, one guy tried to dead lift my 170 lb, paraplegic husband to get him into the aisle chair. It was not a pretty sight. I got very angry because they could have injured him by lifting him inappropriately. We finally got to our assigned seats, and I was still seething. I absolutely do not recommend travel to Baku if you are in a wheelchair, and do not speak the language.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
aberdeen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

I have stayed here for 1 night every 2 months for the past 2 years as it is right beside the airport and handy when you are flying home.
Service has never been that good, especially when trying to get breakfast.
Rooms are nice, sometimes have an issue getting a decent shower.
They will quite regularly try to overcharge you when you are checking out so be careful.
All in all it's a pretty nice hotel, but the food although not bad could be improved and the service in the dining room and breakfast time is very poor.
Staff are generally polite and corteous.
This is no longer a Holiday Inn. I think They have pulled out, as I stayed there this week and all Holiday inn signs-logo's etc have gone.
Now just called Airport Hotel.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants somewhere close to airport if waiting for a following morning flight, other than that don't bother as there is plenty other quality hotels in Baku and probably not as expensive.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Nicest Holiday Inn I have stayed at.. We are used to Marriotts when travelling abroad, however, this Holiday Inn is rated 5 stars and I would not hesitate to stay there again.. Definately not your typical Holiday Inn!

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

I frequently stay here before flying home, as it's handy for the airport, but there's usually some sort of problem each time I do.

Check-in/out can be painfully slow, like most Baku hotels, and they frequently try to over-charge (take a copy of your booking confirmation). I've had a deposit wrongly charged to my card, then refunded 8 hours later, but I then lost out on exchange rates.
I've been put in a smoking room when I've requested non-smoking, I've been given rooms with u/s air-con in the height of summer, & sometimes I've had no hot water.

One good thing about the hotel is that they do not disable the cooling part of the air-con during the winter, so you are not forced to suffer a 30 deg C bedroom, unlike some other Baku hotels.

• Liked — Handy for airport
  • Disliked — Check in/out can be problematic
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

Very nice hotel just right at the airport. Very spacious.
Rooms are very spacious as well (both bedroom and bathroom). Huge window in the bedroom with airport view (nice!), but no disturbing noises from the airport.
The staff is great, very helpfull and very kind, it feels that they are doing everything to serve you in the best way they can.
There is a free shuttle bus from/to the airport and to the downtown too. Meals in the restaurant are very tasty, they have local food there. Loved meat and juices they have there!
They do have a wellness area, which I heard is nice, it' s working from 8:00 till 22:00. Although I didn't have a chance to visit it myself.
I was very satisfied with my stay!

Stayed March 2008

Been to Sheraton Baku Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!