“Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ararat hotel

You added Ararat hotel to your Saves list
Ararat hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Grigor Lusavorich Street, Yerevan 0015, Armenia (Formerly Best Eastern Hotel Ararat)   |
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Yerevan
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

During a recent 9 night stay at the Ararat Hotel, I found only one person who exhibited excellent customer service. His name was Hakob and he was enthusiastic, very friendly, and accommodating. The gentlemen in the restaurant during breakfast were also good. Unfortunately, the front desk was awful. The ladies acted as if they were doing you a favor to wait on you and when I was presented with a laundry bill totaling $182 and I objected to it, they were not willing to negotiate at all. They claimed that the laundry rates were listed in the room and when I told them there was no rate information in the room, they told me they didn't believe me. Twice, our wake-up call was late (by 20 minutes) and one day, the wake up call didn't come at all. The business center was a joke. When my laptop lost its charge and I wanted to use the business center, I went downstairs and it wasn't open. I was told to check back in 15 minutes. When I checked back in 20 minutes, I was told to check back at a specific time (I don't recall right now exactly what time it was). When I came back at that time, I found that the business center was 1 computer. The room cleaning was satisfactory, but one day we would have a bath mat and the next day we wouldn't. The drinking glasses in the bedroom were not replaced on a daily basis. The pillows were terrible and when I called down to the front desk and asked for a flatter pillow, I was brought a pillow that was exactly the same as what I had. I will not stay at the Ararat Hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Most of the staff were lovely. Always willing to help out and offer advice. Room was a good size and comfortably furnished. However, it was very hot and I couldn't find a way to make it cooler other than opening the windows, which was not ideal as the road outside was very noisy. I was disappointed with the size of the pool and didn't feel at ease using the gymnasium. Location was good as I could walk to all the main sights without any problems.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Bad start! Pre-arranged pick-up NOT at the airport to meet me - they forgot - took three phone calls and an hour to sort. Hotel definately not up to the star rating but rooms comfortable - spacious - HIGH! Bed linen clean but thin. My room was at the front on to a busy road so very noisy. Room service took an hour but this was a language problem -most of the staff have little english - but then lets remember most of us have zero Armenian!! Don't plan on using the gym - equipment all looked battered and with wires and plug sockets everywhere.
All that said - once I got into the rhythm of the place - used face -to-face conversation and not the phone everybody was up-beat and smiley. Certainly gave you a sense of being in a different country rather than a major hotel chain so it had some uniqueness which for me made it more memorable than some of the more bland 5* hotels I've stayed in. Young friendly staff spoilt by the fact that it would not take the owners much to make this hotel much better than it is. Example - 'Do you have an hotel business card?' - 'No'. See what I mean? Small stuff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Yerevan, Armenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

I haven't been in Armenia for a while and came to meet my friends. In order to make my stay more comfortable I decided to stay at a hotel. My friends arranged my stay at Ararat Hotel. When I saw previous reviews I complained. I didn't want to stay at a bad hotel with problems. But when I arrived I understood why they chose it.
VERY VERY friendly stuff. They were always smiling and did everything to please their guests. Although there was 1 receptionist but they were doing a great job and I didn't have to wait.
The room was very modern and well-furnished. TV with satellite. Free access to a high speed internet for 24 hours.
The housekeeping just amazed me. I never knew how they came, when they came and cleaned up my room.
A wonderful winter garden, good music.
I just really enjoyed my stay there.
Thank you guys! a lot!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

If you're buying a BMW and want the convenience of a hotel attached to a dealership, this place is for you. The Ararat Hotel bills itself as 5 star; in reality it musters 2 stars, maybe 3. I stayed in two different rooms; the first had a defective neon light over a picture which strobed all night even when the power was off (they use the room key card for the electric power); the bathroom tile grout was filthy, the carpet was dirty, the windows did not open, the halogen lampstand was broken and had tape on the cord... the ceilings in this room were also twice as high as normal, so it felt like sleeping in a bus station. The second room was slightly better, but for some reason the hair dryer and towel heater had their power cords dangling limply with no outlet at all in the bathroom in which to plug them. The shower was one of those massage cabins but did not work at all. The service is incredibly slow; despite 6 people present when I checked in at 5 am from a red-eye flight, it still took 30 minutes to register and numerous attempts to use the antique credit card validation machine. Check out was even worse and took several telephone calls to someone who knew how to use the computer system before I could escape. The neighborhood around the hotel is barren; one must go to Republic Square to find a restaurant. Wi-fi was exceptionally slow, and reception was tricky. Only really positive thing was the breakfast on my first day. The Ararat Hotel is a wanna-be luxury hotel which struggles to provide the basics; not recommended.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Buenos Aires
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

Just a poor sample of what a 5 star hotel may mean. Carpets are dirty and with stains. Breakfast is poor and bad presented. Swimming pool is small and water is terribly cold. There is no solarium. The gym has no machines...
For this kind of mony there are many other better options, believe me. Try the Golden Tulip. It's not great, but it's defenitely better.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

The hotel is in a funky postmodern
building that it shares with a Mercedes dealership;
there is a beautiful atrium in the center with a fountain
and bar. The rooms are nothing special (thin bedding, and
a small bathroom), but they are clean and functional, and
come complete with free wireless and wired internet connections.
I tried only the wired internet, which was a bit flaky but after a few
attempts worked well enough. The public areas are fun to walk through, although
a few sections of the building seemed to be works-in-progress.
There is a small pool, a sauna, and a somewhat-decrepit fitness room.
The restaurant served a good breakfast spread (included in the
standard rate); I am not sure if it served dinner, and the "piano bar"
that was advertised in the lobby was closed during my stay.

The price here was cheaper than at the Marriott, and the location is only
slightly worse: about 10 minutes walk to republic square; you have
to cross one busy street, and after that you stroll past a series
of pleasant parks and cafes. My only warning is that
this is by no means a full-service hotel. Often during my stay there was
only one person on duty who could speak to non-Armenian-speaking guests.
Since that person doubled as receptionist, telephone operator,
and manager-on-duty, she/he would normally only have a few seconds
to answer questions between phone calls or other crises. On the other
hand, I didn't find the "do-it-yourself" attitude of the hotel unpleasant.
It meant you didn't have someone bowing at every turn, and the fact that
the pool and sauna were there for use unsupervised 24 hours made
these areas quieter and more convenient. If you do not require a lot
of help getting around the city and country, this is a very reasonable place
to stay.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Ararat hotel? Share your experiences!