At first, I was planning not to write this review as I don't want to think about it, but it was still haunted and upset me every time I think about our honeymoon so I have to do it. An Lam was the final destination for our Vietnam Honeymoon Trip (after Halong Bay) that we would like to spend and splurge ourselves for 5 days. However, it was indeed my nightmare memories!
To be fair, the property is a nice, private resort with friendly staff, good food option. We love our rooms (Lagoon villa) as it is spacious and lovely. They even treated us like VIPs when we first arrived on the deck. However, our experiences had gone downhill -- and most of the bad rating is contributed to its professionalism, services (some good attempts, but nothing near 5-star resorts) and its ability to solve problems.
- Nice looking beach from the photo - but the sand was so rough with many rocks/- not a good white sandy beach to swim
- Poor coordination between sales and hotel staff: after our confirmation, we received a questionnaire asking about our preference (music, meals, etc) - which I think was a lovely touch except that I was asked 3 TIMES to do this questionnaire form (twice by the sales, and once at the hotel) and I did pointed out to them when I already sent back the email. This made me wonder if they ever take it seriously. To no surprise, nothing was specialized or customized as they were asking us in the questionnaire. --> I won't feel bad if they didn't ask me, but because they did set up my expectation - and failed miserably
- crisis management: on our 1st day of arrival, we decided to walk along the beach to see the nice sunset. Along the way, we saw a little pony nearby (~20-30 feet away)..but didn't think about anything. While I was taking picture of the sunset, I realized that the pony walked towards me..and I was a bit scared, (my husband still think s/he wanted to play with me), so I turned my back and that horse "BITE" me at my back! It took us the next 20 mins trying to distract that horse away (my husband waving camera and throwing rocks to distract it). It was a scary moment - and let me remind you that we were walking on the hotel property - the beach is pretty much in front of our lagoon!!! I understood that this is not a typical case (and probably i'm the first one) - although they get their doctor on site but the way they handled it was not that impressive. 1) manager came and apologize though some of her language suggested that I walked to the horse territory (but it is a public beach, still in front of hotel!) 2) they offer free dinner (which was supposed to be on the beach), but I was so scared, so I just barely ate my room service and spa (which was just ok) for this compensation 3) We talked to them the next day about that we do care to make our honeymoon memorable and how can they help us get a good experience. We didn't even ask for monetary value - all we asked were to make sure that we get to all activities we wanted - it was a good attempt by the hotel, but everything ended badly on the last day.
- awful services after you pay! - Because we had to leave at 6am for our flight, we checked out and paid everything the night before. We requested for a "BREAKFAST TO GO" and we paid $25/- per person. On the departure date, we were told 1) they had to change our car services because some mechanic issues (not too impressed given that we booked so long ago - but nevermind 2) HORRIBLE Breakfast TO GO - TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE- we felt cheated, and I personally felt mad because this is just show that their attitude of not caring for their guests after they paid (please see photo for yourself - 1 tangerine, 1 bottle of water and 1 sandwich - fish feeding bread + 1 thin sliced of chicken + butter). I felt like all my bad + ok+ somewhat good memories are now wiped out because of this sandwich! It was so bad that I decided to write a long note, and return this sandwich back to the driver 3) No communication from the hotel - I did write about my frustation with the breakfast, my contact, my rationale and also some thoughts on how I think this hotel can be improved - No action was taken from An Lam - that actually upset me even more.
- Butler services: good attempt to personalize and give you lots of attention, they are super nice, but honestly their english is not qualified so hard to understand and communicate our preferences as well as their knowledge and ability to suggest activities (like a concierge). For example, we booked a private lunch on an island + hike to waterfall - it was great in name, except that there was no water - because it was a dry season! - why didn't you tell me before so I can make informed decision? Also, it was a 40 min hike - and he didn't even tell us about that.
- Others: spa was ok, - not too great. They should improve on the spa quality because guests are willing to spend. I was planning to do it everyday, but after my first visit, I decided not to coz i didn't like it at all.
Overall, this hotel has a nice property, but I think it fails on its 5-star services. I don't want to give bad reviews, but I could not help feeling like a nightmare or horrible after thinking about our honeymoon. To the hotel, we might be just another honeymoon couples, but to us, this is THE ONLY honeymoon we had. We spent so much money and looked forward to this trip, but all I could remembered now was a horse bite, a bad ending of my breakfast to go and bad customer service that the front office manager never care to email or contact us (we addressed to them specifically and gave out our contact).
I hope they are doing better because it has a good potential, and it will be a shame or waste if they can't keep their services up to standard.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the ultimate and unique experience at An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas. Situated in the picturesque Ninh Van Bay, An Lam Villas will indulge you with exquisite food, flawless service and its stunning white sand beach. Soak up the surrounding environment of tropical forests and mountains studded with massive granite boulders looking out over the SouthChina Sea. Slip away with a gourmet hamper or indulge with a therapeutic spa treatment - it's all about peace, privacy, and the ultimate holiday in authentic Vietnamese style luxury.Nha Trang City is located 300 km East of Ho Chi Ming Ciy and 25 minutes by car from the Nha Ttrang airport. An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas are located 10 minutes away from Nha Trang by speed boat. An Lam Villasserenityare on the lay side of Ninh Van Bay, with the Ocean in front of the resort and protected by beautiful hills and vegetation behind the villas.The An Lam Villas welcoming lounge and jetty is located 16km north of Nha Trang city centre. Here you will be met by our speedboat which will whisk to away to An Lam Villas, a leisurely 8 minute boat ride away. If you are arriving in Nha Trang, our hosts will greet you at Cam Ranh airport, 35kms south of Nha Trang, where they will assist you with your luggage, and bring you to the An Lam Villas welcome lounge. The boat transfers are included in your room rate. With a total of 35 private pool villas, our Beach and Lagoon Front Villas are set in exclusive, private locations with stunning views over the lagoon and Ninh Van Bay. An open plan layout is designed to take full advantage of the spectacular views and create an inviting indoor/outdoor ambiance. Set into the rain forest our elevated and private Hill Rock Villas offer tree-filtered ocean views. The three store layout provides a spacious sleeping area with king size bed set in the tree canopy; a large entertaining deck and living area where you can enjoy a private dinner cooked by your personal chef; and a substantial bathroom on the lower level. While you feel a million miles away from reality, we do not want you to compromise on comfort. Each villa has a personalized intimacy butler service to attend to your every whim, while rooms are fitted out with every modern convenience including ipod docking stations, wireless internet and full entertainment TV system. For those who want to forget about technology - you can wile away the hours in your hammock or sun lounge and discover how quickly you can adapt to the life of true busy relaxing . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, Jetsetter, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas Hotel Nha Trang