“Nightmare for my honeymoon” 1 of 5 stars

An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ninh Van Bay, Nha Trang, Vietnam   |
Ranked #5 of 108 hotels in Nha Trang
Pleasanton, California
“Nightmare for my honeymoon”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

At first, I was planning not to write this review as I don't want to think about it, but it was still haunted and upset me every time I think about our honeymoon so I have to do it. An Lam was the final destination for our Vietnam Honeymoon Trip (after Halong Bay) that we would like to spend and splurge ourselves for 5 days. However, it was indeed my nightmare memories!

To be fair, the property is a nice, private resort with friendly staff, good food option. We love our rooms (Lagoon villa) as it is spacious and lovely. They even treated us like VIPs when we first arrived on the deck. However, our experiences had gone downhill -- and most of the bad rating is contributed to its professionalism, services (some good attempts, but nothing near 5-star resorts) and its ability to solve problems.

- Nice looking beach from the photo - but the sand was so rough with many rocks/- not a good white sandy beach to swim
- Poor coordination between sales and hotel staff: after our confirmation, we received a questionnaire asking about our preference (music, meals, etc) - which I think was a lovely touch except that I was asked 3 TIMES to do this questionnaire form (twice by the sales, and once at the hotel) and I did pointed out to them when I already sent back the email. This made me wonder if they ever take it seriously. To no surprise, nothing was specialized or customized as they were asking us in the questionnaire. --> I won't feel bad if they didn't ask me, but because they did set up my expectation - and failed miserably

- crisis management: on our 1st day of arrival, we decided to walk along the beach to see the nice sunset. Along the way, we saw a little pony nearby (~20-30 feet away)..but didn't think about anything. While I was taking picture of the sunset, I realized that the pony walked towards me..and I was a bit scared, (my husband still think s/he wanted to play with me), so I turned my back and that horse "BITE" me at my back! It took us the next 20 mins trying to distract that horse away (my husband waving camera and throwing rocks to distract it). It was a scary moment - and let me remind you that we were walking on the hotel property - the beach is pretty much in front of our lagoon!!! I understood that this is not a typical case (and probably i'm the first one) - although they get their doctor on site but the way they handled it was not that impressive. 1) manager came and apologize though some of her language suggested that I walked to the horse territory (but it is a public beach, still in front of hotel!) 2) they offer free dinner (which was supposed to be on the beach), but I was so scared, so I just barely ate my room service and spa (which was just ok) for this compensation 3) We talked to them the next day about that we do care to make our honeymoon memorable and how can they help us get a good experience. We didn't even ask for monetary value - all we asked were to make sure that we get to all activities we wanted - it was a good attempt by the hotel, but everything ended badly on the last day.

- awful services after you pay! - Because we had to leave at 6am for our flight, we checked out and paid everything the night before. We requested for a "BREAKFAST TO GO" and we paid $25/- per person. On the departure date, we were told 1) they had to change our car services because some mechanic issues (not too impressed given that we booked so long ago - but nevermind 2) HORRIBLE Breakfast TO GO - TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE- we felt cheated, and I personally felt mad because this is just show that their attitude of not caring for their guests after they paid (please see photo for yourself - 1 tangerine, 1 bottle of water and 1 sandwich - fish feeding bread + 1 thin sliced of chicken + butter). I felt like all my bad + ok+ somewhat good memories are now wiped out because of this sandwich! It was so bad that I decided to write a long note, and return this sandwich back to the driver 3) No communication from the hotel - I did write about my frustation with the breakfast, my contact, my rationale and also some thoughts on how I think this hotel can be improved - No action was taken from An Lam - that actually upset me even more.

- Butler services: good attempt to personalize and give you lots of attention, they are super nice, but honestly their english is not qualified so hard to understand and communicate our preferences as well as their knowledge and ability to suggest activities (like a concierge). For example, we booked a private lunch on an island + hike to waterfall - it was great in name, except that there was no water - because it was a dry season! - why didn't you tell me before so I can make informed decision? Also, it was a 40 min hike - and he didn't even tell us about that.

- Others: spa was ok, - not too great. They should improve on the spa quality because guests are willing to spend. I was planning to do it everyday, but after my first visit, I decided not to coz i didn't like it at all.

Overall, this hotel has a nice property, but I think it fails on its 5-star services. I don't want to give bad reviews, but I could not help feeling like a nightmare or horrible after thinking about our honeymoon. To the hotel, we might be just another honeymoon couples, but to us, this is THE ONLY honeymoon we had. We spent so much money and looked forward to this trip, but all I could remembered now was a horse bite, a bad ending of my breakfast to go and bad customer service that the front office manager never care to email or contact us (we addressed to them specifically and gave out our contact).

I hope they are doing better because it has a good potential, and it will be a shame or waste if they can't keep their services up to standard.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
AnLamVillas, Manager at An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear NorCal1929,

I am very surprised to read your review considering your stay was well over one year ago. For the sake of our other valued guest I do feel the need make a few of your points clear as some of your points.

the area that entered with the pony is indeed private property and there are signs to indicate this.

The breakfast to go items were from your menu selection and I can assure you we bake the bread three times a day on the island and would never serve fish feeding bread to any of our guest.

The photo's you have posted claiming to be room service are actually your cooking class photo's as these items are only on the cooking class menu and the style of plates are only used for coking class. I'm sorry for your misunderstanding with this area of concern.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, As you can see by the majority of our reviews this is very unusual.

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

The An Lam Ninh Van Bay was beyond a luxury resort: it was an experience. The people here make you feel special and they remember every little thing that you love and enjoy while staying completely out of the way so you can relax and do what you came to do: get away from it all. Our butler, Tran, almost felt just like a friend and treated us like family. We just adore her. The staff was too wonderful and they dote on your every want and need. Ursula always made sure we were having the time of our lives and Hien made every one of our meals feel like we were at Gary freaking Danko in our hometown of San Francisco (we even took cooking lessons with the head chef who was not only hilarious but friendly and such a fun guy to just hang out with). If you want to experience the very definition of luxury and relaxation affordably, and if you want to learn why everyone, EVERYONE should visit Vietnam in their lifetime, come here. We cannot say thank you enough to the staff for our once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear andrewhoolhorst,

We are glad to hear your great comments. It was an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us. I will pass on your comments to Tran, Hien, Ursula and the rest of the team for you. We hope to see you back at the resort again in the future.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at An Lam in April as part of our honeymoon for 10 nights. It was amazing in every way. We didn't want to leave. In fact 10 nights was not long enough!

We stayed in a hillock villa and were very kindly upgraded to a beach front one towards the end of our stay. Both great, wonderfully comfortable! Loved the turn down service.

The service was personal and exceptional, without being intrusive. Our butler Binh met our needs and was only to happy to help. Always with a smile on his face. Ursula was also amazing and helped to make our honeymoon extra special. A huge thanks to them and also tour guide Nguyen, Tam and all the staff in the restaurant.

We did two excursions which we thought were good value. The breakfast fishing cruise and the day trip to the private villa KaLam, where we walked up to a refreshing waterfall. We also had a private picnic there and had full use of the villa for the afternoon, it was wonderful.

Ignore the negative reviews what a load nitpicking nonsense! I hope we can go back someday.

Thanks to all again

Amy & John

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bellfraser,

Thank you for your kind comments. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Binh, Ursula, Nguyen, Tam and the rest of the team. We are glad you enjoyed your excursions and the turn down service. We hope to see you back at An lam Villas again soon.

Phnom Penh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

There's a reason A-list celebrities escape to places like St. Bart's, St. Tropez and Cannes. It's the exclusivity - the feeling of having a small slice of paradise all to yourself even if for a few days.

That's what An Lam Villas feels like, truly one of the most memorable places I've ever stayed.

Originally concerned about being isolated that far away from the happenings of Nha Trang, that soon melted away when I saw the resort. Even though it was relatively full when I stayed, you hardly saw a handful of people at any time. That's what having your own spacious plunge pool will do for you.

Beach? A+ for its deep green glass-like water and perfectly horseshoe shape. The bottom was a little silty but nothing to take away from the natural beauty of the bay.

Dining? Awesome. Meals were spot on and the freshly baked breads were a surprise.

Facilities? Great. Super quiet, lots of umbrellas and loungers all over. It was a regular Sophie's Choice to decide where to hang out - private plunge pool? gorgeous infinity pool? beach cabana? If only these were my everyday problems...

All in all a fantastic stay with super staff. Splurge and you'll be forever happy that you did...

For more photos, please check out my travel blog: http://flyicarusfly.com/luxury-redefined-in-ninh-van-bay/

Room Tip: Beach front villa was amazing. Just for the fun of it, next time I'd love to try the tree house...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AnLamVillas, Manager at An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Jt10s,

We are thrilled to receive your comments from your stay. I will be sure to pass on your review to the whole team. We hope to see you back at the resort again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

To our Butler Thuy, to Chef Matthew, Manager Ursula, Guide Mui Sang we are so very thankful to you and the team for creating the perfect honeymoon retreat. It was nothing but idyllic and we haven't stopped raving about our stay to friends and family. Personal touches at every turn: handcarved villa sign named after us, local tea & sweets every afternoon, lessons in Vietnamese coffee making with local beans from Thuys fathers farm, specialised picnics, candlelit breaky at dawn on the pier before final send-off and a bananaleaf packaged lunch to have on our way back to the airport! And that's only some of it! Gahm uhng to all!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Verity C

Thank you for you kind comments and I will be sure to pass on your thoughts to the team. We are very happy to hear that your honeymoon was enjoyed by you both. We all hope to see you return again in the future.

An Lam Villas Team
Queensland Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had 7 perfect nights in a Hillrock Villa #32. Total privacy and total luxury.
Staff are so friendly, always smiling and just want to help you.Particular thanks to Matt and his crew of chefs for the most amazing meals, Trang in the restaurant for her great memory and good service, Nghiem who has a wonderful vegeatable garden and produces such fresh produce for the restaurant and Quang our butler for taking care of our daily needs.....and Ursula for rescuing my phone :)

Room Tip: Normally we would stay in a beach villa but opted for a Hillrock Villa this time and glad we did. I...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

As part of our trip to Vietnam, we planned our overall trip around visiting An Lam. Once you've experienced the hustle and bustle of Hanoi, this is the perfect place to re-charge your batteries, sit back and relax. We have travelled around South East Asia quite a bit and tend to include a 'luxury' element with more budget options to suit our pocket!

On arrival at the resort's pier you check-in and are given options that suit you - music, drinks and level of butler service you would like. As we don't like too much fuss, we chose the 'discreet' service which was just right for us, left in peace but with the knowledge that if you need anything you can contact your butler who will arrange anything that you would like.

One of the most impressive things about the resort is how it has been sympathetically built to the beautiful surroundings, without disturbing the natural beauty of the area. From the sea you are pretty much unable to see any of the rooms and from our villa, we couldn't see any of the others nearby (although we had a neighbour that liked to play music quite loud and you could hear that!).

We didn't book any of the activities or special treats that were on offer, so unable to comment on those. We were just happy by our pool, walking along the beach or taking the kayaks out.

The staff at the resort really go above and beyond to make your stay special, I don't want to single anyone out as they were all so nice! Our butler Mai, taught us how to play the Vietnamese stone game in the bar and we became quite hooked (we've even played it at home since being back!).

I don't have many negative comments to make, although I would say that the cost of food and drinks is pretty costly and whilst I understand that the location of the resort means that food / drinks have to be brought over from the mainland - it isn't that far a trip. I also think that some clarity would be helpful, on our first night we were offered the buffet or a la carte, we opted for the buffet without knowing the cost until we signed our bill. Costs are clearly printed in the a la carte menu so I think it would be a good idea to include the buffet details somewhere on the menu. The all inclusive option was quite expensive and as we don't tend to eat lunch, it didn't seem good value for money for us as we already had breakfast included with our room.

I have seen some comments about the level of English of the staff, but we didn't find it a problem at all and yes, the villas are 'rustic' being mainly outdoors there is likely to be some wear and tear from the elements. But the space you have, lovely pool and seclusion more than makes up for that.

We have fond memories of our time at An Lam and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to friends and family. Thank you for giving us those memories!

P.S. The Vietnamese Iced Coffee is the best we had on our trip, we've tried to make it at home without success so please Zok, could you send us the instructions?!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Hilltop Villa 33 after seeing other recommendations on Tripadvisor, lovely villa in a g...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Zok R, General Manager at An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear SSNotts,

Thank you very much for your great feedback and making An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas as your home away from home. We have shared your review with the team and they are delighted that they could make your stay with us very special. I do have Vietnamese coffee preparation guide ready. Can you drop me your personal email on : rm.nvb@anlam.com. We are looking forward to welcome you back in near future .

Warm regards,
Zok Rustamovich
Resort Manager

Been to An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas? Share your experiences!