“Amazing, perfect honeymoon destination!!!” 5 of 5 stars

You added An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas to your Saves list
An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ninh Van Bay, Nha Trang, Vietnam   |
Ranked #5 of 108 hotels in Nha Trang
“Amazing, perfect honeymoon destination!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

After spending 2 nights in the chaotic Ho Chi Min City, we came to An Lam which is the most tranquil place we have ever been to. We were greeted at lobby with drinks, cold towels and cakes and filled in a questionnaire about our preferences, then we got a speed boat transfer with amazing views to an lam. The head chef, Matthew was on the boat with us, which was really helpful as I worried being vegetarian I might struggle with the menu, but the team were amazing and cooked something special for me when I couldn't find anything on the menu.

We were welcomed on the jetty by our butler Quang and the general manager and we were shown to our hill top villa. Quang was brilliant from the outset making us feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble, in fact everybody was. The villa was amazing (we stayed in 31) and it was very private.

We decided to upgrade to all inclusive once we arrived, so we could just indulge and enjoy without worrying how much we were spending. Well worth doing.

Quang gave us a tour the following morning, he showed us the beach & lagoon villas which both amazing, especially if there is more than two of you staying as most of them have two bedrooms. Had a look in the spa and went up to yoga point where there is an incredible view of the bay. We also saw the pigs, horse and eagle. Very enjoyable and informative.

Quang arranged our excursions for us and met us before and after each. We went on the sunset cruise, which had the most breathtaking views and whilst you are on the boat you are given champagne and canapés. I would definitely recommend this trip.

The following morning we went on the walking trail with our guide Wo, who again was amazing and very patient with me!! ( I was very clumsy & a bit of a wuss). I probably held Wo's hand more during the walk than I did my husbands throughout the honeymoon- ha!! It's quite a difficult walk but definitely worth it to see the waterfalls and views! I would recommend to do the walk with a guide so you don't miss any of the view points

The next trip Quang arranged for us was a boat trip to Monkey Island and a few other island to see ostrich and deer. A guide from An Lam (Sam I think) came with us, whose knowledge for Vietnam is great, very interesting man! The monkeys were brilliant, I was a little nervous to begin with as they roam around and I didn't know whether I could trust them, but we had such a good time feeding them by hand. It was amazing to be so close to them. We had a private lunch on the boat with champagne which was very nice. I got sunburnt on this trip and when we got off the boat Ursula and Quang noticed, so Quang brought some fresh aloe Vera to our villa.

The next day we took advantage of the free speed boat transfer to nha trang to visit the markets and the temple. As we were leaving the island without a guide, Quang gave us a mobile phone in case we needed any help with translation directions etc. we were fine, but it was nice to have.

Our last full day at an lam we spent lazing around the beach and pool. The staff were very attentive, bringing over cold towels and drinks. We borrowed some kayaks in the afternoon, which are free to use. Again definitely worth doing.

I literally don't have anything bad to say about An Lam. The place is break taking, the staff are so friendly and extremely efficient, the food is delicious! I could go on more.... We would love to come back one day! Absolutely amazing. Special thanks to Quang, Matthew, Wo, Ursula and the general manager. Superb place

I will post some pictures of an lam & excursions soon x

• Stayed February 2013

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Transport from airport was efficient and welcoming but one of the first disappointments happens at the port. For a start I think if you build a hotel that's only accessible by your own boat you shouldnt charge people to use it. And if you do it should be per room not per person. It wasn't even a private crossing so hotel made over a hundred dollars on just our one 15 minute trio. If you are only staying a few nights factor this additional cost into room rate.

I wasn't impressed with check in - we were greeted with a tepid glass of water as a welcoming drink and given we had to wait 20 minutes for another couple to arrive it was a bit lame. other hotels of the same standard always made a big deal of welcome and this felt a bit of a disappointment.

Met on resort jetty by butler and taken to room - a few nice surprise touches I won't disclose but cute.

We had a garden villa which was lovely - very private - covered outdoor seating area, private pool, sandy bank of river and sea beyond. Beware some of the garden villas were not so private - around the lagoon and closer to restuarant and when we were there some guests were playing really loud music which would have driven me mad if I'd been there.

The private pool could have been cleaner and the pump was very noisy so had to be switched off if you wanted to spend time in the garden.

The outdoor bath was nice in principal but a in reality feels a tad exposed As the fencing could be better.

Rooms large and airy and a nice L shape giving sense of space - I particularly liked the reed ceilings.

Would have been nice to have some explanation of the coffee machine given they told me where the wardrobe was - I think some things I can fathom for myself - others not so easy.

Not sure what you could get your butler to do - ours was lovely but really it's just someone to take you to the restaurant - everything else is really a housekeeping job - a nice touch on paper but not entirely essential. The room was always nice to come back to though.

there's no receptionist so if you try to call with an emergency the phone often just rang and rang.

I think the restaurant should have changed their menu more as there's no where else to eat so became a bit tiring especially if you are a vegetarian or don't like seafood - although in fairness they did make me a great pasta to order one night - so maybe they can make you stuff to order.

The service could have been bettacronym a number places For example you could die of thirst trying get drinks in the beach. They just aren't aware and there's no way of attracting a waiters attention. Im surprised because I'm sure with better service guests would spend more.

I didn't like that in our first evening during dinner they started clearing away the tables and chairs around us at 10.30 - I hadn't even had desert so it killed the romance. And a simple 'why not take your deserts to the bar?' would have worked.

We complained because it really did spoil our night and actually the hotel was very good - tool the complaint seriously and worked hard to make it up to us which they did (although I note they it didn't stop staff clearing away the moment the last person had a BBQ just made us feel better).
When you arrive you are asked to fill out a profile and I don't think te hotel used this at all. We ticked options saying we like beach activities, snorkling, spicy food and were interested in cooking classes. And noone ever asked me if I'd like a cooking class, told us where to snorkle, to my knowledge there were no beach activities and as our food got blander and blander we asked for more spice we were told they though we didn't like spicy food. So it's a nice idea but not well executed.

Without doubt this is a stunning resort, with an abundance of butterflies and birds and magnificent gardens and beach. It's very relaxing and perfect for a romantic few days. There is nothing to do and nowhere to go though so think carefully about how long you want to be here for.

I know the management take reviews seriously and respond well to positive critism so it is worth bringing things up. In a way the flaws make it feel personal and not corporate so don't sanitise too much - just improve the service

We would go back - and it's well worth a stay

• Stayed February 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

we stayed at the beach villa this resort for 2 nights only after Xmas 2012.However the experience left an everlasting impression on our family .My 11 years old son declared it was "the best hotel he has ever stayed in" and he was a fussy traveler who rated the hotel standard by looking at its bathroom.The food was amazing.I recommended the catamaran trip and the massage .The service level was extraordinary.Once again thank you the An Lam Villa staff for making our first return to Vietnam after 34 years away a very memorable one .We will see you in the near future (Hopefully you can tell the Customs at Tan Son Nhat Airport stopped giving the expat Vietnamese a hard time then we will return more often).Dr Tan Letran

Room Tip: Villa 7 and Villa 8 close to the restaurant
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Zok R, General Manager at An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Docletran,

Thank you for sharing your experience at An Lam Villas
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort and have communicated your comments to all our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back in future,
Best regards,

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The first thing that strikes you at this resort is the great service. every guest is offered a butler whose only role is to make your stay as memorable as possible. every bungalow comes with a private pool and a view on the lagoon.
The service always gives you something over expected. The activity arranged by the resort is very good . Me and my girl friend enjoyed a very relax yoga.

We had the most luxurious and relaxing stay. This resort is highly recommended for your holiday

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zok R, General Manager at An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Corrall,

Thank you very much for being our guest. We very proud to have your positive experience at An Lam Villas. I did share your review with my team and they feel proud that we could make you stay very special. Please contact me personal in future if you need any assistance.

Zok-Resort Manager
An Lam Villas
Derbyshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at An Lam villas for 12 nights at the end January 2013 to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary. We stayed in a hill rock villa (or rather two hill rock villas as we moved from villa 32 to villa 33 half way through our stay as we preferred the layout in villa 33).
Ursula, the duty manager, took us to look at a number of hill rock villas which are all similar in design but each seems to have a unique pool set-up to fit in with the surrounding environment. For example, hill rock villa 27 had a great sea view and that pool reminded me of a Roman bath as it was built into the rock itself. Hill rock villa 24 also had a great sea view but that pool was a round plastic pool. We also looked at a lagoon and beach villa which were very nicely set out but didn't seem to offer the privacy of a hill rock villa as the areas in front of the villas were not completely private and allowed people walking along the beach to glimpse a view.
We did have a few maintenance issues with our villas during our 12 night stay but our mega butler Quang made sure they were all resolved in a matter of minutes - isn't that what a five star resort is all about?
The food during our stay was fresh and of excellent quality although it did start to get a little repetative after 12 nights. We had two private BBQs whilst we were there (one at Ka-Lam, the private villa a boat ride away) and both were well worth the money. We also had a picnic on a secluded beach which again was a complete "food fest" and well worth it.
We went on the 1km walk (or should I say "trek") to see the two waterfalls with our guide. It was very nice with amazing views but I must admit I spent most of the walk moaning about how difficult it was and we ended up being the slowest couple ever to complete the walk! At least it made me hungry for lunch!!!
Our butler Quang was amazing. He brought us daily tea and cakes at 4pm, he made us two wooden plaques for our wedding anniversay and my birthday, he arranged tables on the beach for romantic meals and his overall mantra was "making you happy makes me happy". What more can you ask for?
Overall, I would say that the resort isn't perfect but it is definitely a work in progress. We had a very enjoyable holiday and all the staff and management were lovely to speak to. We would certainly consider it again for future holidays. Thanks again Zok, Ursula and Quang - hope to see you all again in the future!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Zok R, General Manager at An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your wonderful review on behalf of An Lam Villas Resort on TripAdvisor. We really appreciated the nice comments you made about our resort.

Thank you again for making An Lam Villas your home during your stay in Nha Trang. We truly enjoyed having you with us and hope that we will have a chance to serve you again in the future.

Best wishes,

Earby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We booked this part of our Vietnam trip early 2012, based on the very positive reviews we had read on Tripadvisor and then we kept checking all the reviews right up to setting off on our trip.
We were looking forward to something quite special but 2 weeks before we left for Vietnam we received communication regarding a change of management of the resort and that TJ (who had received many positive reviews) had been replaced. We were then required to cancel and re-book our reservation, causing us some concerns.
However, we decided to continue with our plans and set off with open minds.

The transfer from the aiport to the resort by private car went well and we arrived at the welcome sala and were given water and warm muffins before the boat crossing to the bay.

We arrived late evening to a complimentary cold platter and sparkling wine which was set out by our butler in our outside living area. First impressions were good.

The location is beautiful and the accommodation blends perfectly into the surroundings.

We stayed in a hill villa which was spacious and had an unusual layout over 2/3 floors, the wardrobes and bathroom being downstairs whilst the bedroom was upstairs, however there is another toilet off the bedroom.

There was nowhere to sit by the plunge pool and dry after a dip, however when we asked for sunbeds these were arranged and brought by the staff quite quickly.

Apart from problems with plumbing in the villa and the fact that we were unable to lock up the villa when we went out (we found this very strange) the hillside villa was good. It was quite private and secluded (villa Number 23).

Half way through our stay we were upgraded to a beachside villa (Number 8).
It soon became apparent that the cleanliness and maintenance of this villa were below standard, for example we killed a few insects and cockroaches which were not cleaned up for the remainder of our stay. There were cobwebs and dust in the bathroom areas and the main light fitting hanging from the ceiling in the bathroom was dirty, full of dust and dead insects.
The net curtain at the bathroom window was dirty and brown stained.
Privacy in the bathroom was also a problem to us. There was only the net curtain so when using the bathroom at night with the light on privacy was compromised.
Again there seemed to be problems with the plumbing system.

We don't know if other villas were affected but each night some animal would visit our bathroom and steal the soap! When we mentioned this to the staff their comment was 'it must be the squirrels'- a bit off-putting having them scrambling over your personal items and toiletries (we do understand that we were staying in a tropical forested area but this could have been avoided by some simple preventative measures).

During the first part of our stay breakfast was a la carte and well presented as you would expect in a 5 star establishment. There was plenty of choice and the quality was very good.
However things deteriorated during the second part of our stay. The hotel became full and standards in the restaurant at breakfast were not as good. Sometimes we would not receive the food in the right order or would be kept waiting too long even though we always dined early when the restaurant was quiet.
The waiter service was replaced by a buffet service which would have been OK but the cooked food was kept warm in clay pots over coals which wasn't always successful, for example the baked beans were completely cold.

At dinner there were regular theme nights with live cooking stations and barbeques with a wide choice of fish and meat or the a la carte menu. The standard of these were very good but we did feel that the a la carte menu would become limited if you were choosing this every night over a period of longer than a week.
We did like the fact that the staff were always replenishing your glass with complimentary still water (a really nice touch).
As we had stayed in An Lam Saigon River we were given a complimentary barbeque on the beach one evening and this was thoroughly enjoyable and we were well looked after by several staff members. However, we were a little surprised to be charged for the drinks.

Having experienced spa treatments in several hotels throughout the world I have to say that whilst it was good it wasn't one of the best. The therapist did not ask about the pressure of the massage or if everything was ok for me.

Because of the management changes and the inconvenience caused to us we were given a complimentary sunset cruise.
We thoroughly enjoyed this and the nibbles and sparkling wine (shame there was no sunset that evening)!

There was a complimentary transfer over to Nha Trang which gave us a great opportunity to visit the city and sightsee which we think is a great service.

Having experienced the transfer from the resort back to the airport at Cam Ranh by shared minibus we would recommend if possible a private car transfer as this is a long and uncomfortable journey by minibus.

We had high expectations for our stay at An Lam Ninh Van Bay,unfortunately we were disappointed and did not feel that it merited the amount of money it commands or live up to its 5 star rating.

The resort is a lovely place but could be perfect.

Room Tip: Hill villa 23 was very private and secluded with a large plunge pool. Hill villas have lots of steps...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our stay here was simply amazing. The choice to relax and soak up the sun and scenery or go on a tour made our 7 days seem like not enough. The market tour with Chef through Nha Trang and the Snorkling speedboat (thanks Action Man Nguyen!) daytrip were activity highlights. A beautiful breakfast every day and a culinary journey every night added to the experience (best steak ever!). Huge thanks to Thuy, our friend, for making the stay so special, with her energy, warmth and enthusiasm (and soothing Aloe Vera!). The communal events - beach cocktails and sunset cruise - were a great change to mingle with other guests in an otherwise private stay. TJ - it was great how you interact with the guests; the friendly, not servant environment creates a much nicer atmosphere. The Villa was exquisite and the personal touches (wooden name plate) were beautiful. The overall experience at An Lam was exceptional and praise cannot come higher. Hope you see you all again.
- Jay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at An Lam Villas
We look forward to welcoming you back in future,
Best regards,

Resort Manager

Been to An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas? Share your experiences!