“Nha Trang Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Since our opening 3 years ago, Yên's Restaurant has offered Traditional Vietnamese Cuisine (with a modern touch)to our customers. Our intense focus at offering excellent service, great atmosphere and utmost quality meals have brought us many praises by our regular patrons, guide books and tourists alike. Come visit us to enjoy of genuine brand of hospitality and see yourself why we have been in the Top Restaurant of Nha Trang on Tripadvisor since our opening. Don't hesitate to contact our team to reserve a table (or any other special request) at Yên's Restaurant; our team is at your service!NEW AT YÊN'S RESTAURANT: Live music, 3 nights of guitar and violin and 4 nights of traditional Vietnamese music. It never been so good to come to Yên's!
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Nha Trang Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good spot, enjoyed the food and service. Had the pork and shrimp spring rolls, beef salad and the chicken curry, all of which were delicious. Will definitely visit again on my next visit to Nha Trang.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
“Go with what you know”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Research pays off in south east asia and this is another example. For us it's about service, and there is something special about Yen that she obviously hands on to her staff. Food is fresh and value for money.

Visited September 2012
Melbourne
“Excellent food service very friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Very happy to recommend. We enjoyed our meals chicken hotspot, beef salad and prawn salad all good quality delicious meals unfortunately we found this place on the last night. Very friendly staff not large serves but we thought it was good value

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Budapest, Hungary
“Vietnamese cuisine for western tourists”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We went to the restaurant because of it's tripadvisor ranking, and ordered some fruit shakes along with "bun thit nuong" as lunch. The result was a little disappointing: the amount of meat was less than expected (but was excellent) and the overall feeling of the dish was mediocre. Our problem that the food had no edge, no character.
From one dish I would not like to judge the restaurant, but I expected more from one of Nha Trang's best ranked restaurant on TA.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Yen_nhatrang, Owner at Nha Hang Yen's Restaurant, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
My name is Yên, I am the owner at Yên's Restaurant (Next to Ha Van Hotel)

Sir, thanks for your review. I’m still no sure I should reply to your review (I think the readers can judge your arguments by themselves), but since my team and my name reputation is on the line, I will write a few lines.

First the title of your review. “Vietnamese cuisine for western tourists”. (I have written extensively about this before, please read our other management responses).

It is true that the location of our restaurant, in the heart of the touristic area and in the most popular beach city of Vietnam (+ next to one of the most popular budget hotel in Nha Trang) could give the impression that we cater exclusively for tourists. Nothing could be more wrong. Our customer base is very diversified and composed of locals, Vietnamese tourists, Asian tourists, Middle-east tourists, European tourists; Americans…in fact we proudly serves people from around the world, not only Western tourists.
If I had a restaurant near the Eiffel Tower in Paris that served a ‘’Coq au Vin’’ I would certainly no be ‘’accused’’ of serving French specialties to serve only Asian tourists. One would assume that we serve French food for everyone.

Our Vietnamese specialties are as Vietnamese as it can be. End of discussion. So why this persistent double standard? It seems rather strange that some people can have such pre-conception about Vietnamese food. Is our specialties too ‘’clean’’, too good looking? Too fresh? Is everyone an expert on Vietnamese food? My Canadian husband who has been raised by his Vietnamese Grand-Mother (an expert chef in Vietnamese Food) might be right when he says: ‘’in the mind of many tourists, Vietnamese food ‘’must /should’’ be served on (old) metal tables and people must be sitting plastic chairs or else it doesn’t feel authentic…in a dark, smelly and dirty alley the better! Put some duck heads hanging on the stall and a pot of ‘’mam tom’’ (smelly macerated shrimp sauce) and let it be served by an old gran-mama et voilà it would scream AUTHENTIC VIETNAMESE CUISINE’’
Some Emperors must be rolling in their graves…

As a reminder, Vietnamese cuisine is very varied and composed of more than 1000 national specialties. Our entire menu is ‘’built’’ within those specialties.
We have chosen our specialties in order to satisfy the most people possible and their taste. We could have chosen to specialize in cooking field rats, or cats, or dogs, or tarantula, or goat, or scorpions, or snakes, or seafood…that would not have made us more ‘’Vietnamese’’. Probably our restaurant would go bankrupt if we did choose the less accessible specialties for most foreign taste…beside, the most ‘’rustic’’ cuisines is rarely to be found in cities and that's a loss for tourists.

Now, the Bun Thit Nuong (rice noodle, salad, imperial roll, grilled pork and nuoc mam) is among our specialties that are wildly served (nationally) in the streets of Vietnam. We also think it is one of the best you could find in Vietnam. I won’t dispute your taste, it is your right to find it ‘’mediocre’’, no ‘’edge’’ and no ‘’character’’ (but the meat ‘’excellent’’???); that’s alright…but I don’t know about the amount of meat your expecting in a dish that cost less than 3$ (note that meat in Vietnam is more expansive than America and rice too BTW). My advice, pay 6$ and get twice as much! It would be still be cheaper than a Trio at your local McDonalds (and you would have more food and fresher meat).
Vietnamese people eat all the time, portion usually go accordingly.

Lastly, reviews of my restaurant on Tripadvisor.com are made by people from diverse horizons, diverse cultures and diverse taste. Please do not put too much ‘’faith’’ on those reviews, come and try by yourself with an open mind and, please, remember that Vietnamese food culture is complex and expensive. You dinner will taste better with that in mind.

PS. I hope I didn’t sound angry, I am not! Just passionate about what my team and I do!

Please accept my best regards,

Yên
Restaurant owner at Yên's Restaurant
3/2A Tran Quang Khai
Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa province
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
“Good food, cheap wine, friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Took the family to Yen's based on Tripadvisor reviews and wasn't disappointed. Extensive Vietnamese menu. Staff also went to the trouble of getting our 3 year old grandson some Western food from next door. French wine available and the normal range of beers. Vietnamese pancakes and fried chicken wings were a highlight for us. Clay pots of chicken and pork a little overdone but still okay. Nice place and very clean. Couldn't fault it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere