“Good Live Music - good party” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Guava is open from 7AM daily. Breakfasts include Eggs Benedict, Breakfast Burritos, and English Breakfasts.Enjoy our BBQ Garden, traditional Vietnamese fare cooked at your table. Special dishes include Crocodile and Ostrich on the Grill.Weekly specials such as Sunday Roast Dinners, Mondays Steak and Shrimp Night, Chicken Wing Wednesdays, and more!Proudly serving great meals in Nha Trang since 2003!
Phuket, Thailand
“Good Live Music - good party”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

There are two Guavas in town (same owner), this is the bar.
Wednesday nights they have live music with local expat Eric and his band. Eric is a rocker from Canada and brings the live rock scene. The music and party are wild enough for the younger back packer and musically deep enough for the more mature crowd looking for more than just another quiet evening.

It is THE place to be on Wednesday!

Guava is a regular BAR, not a lounge in an expensive hotel or a fancy restaurant so the ambiance is BAR. It is not a dive - far from it. The club has lots to offer, pool table in front (not my favorite - but lots of others seem to like it plenty) middle very comfortable lounge type seating (where the band is) and back open patio with a lush feeling.

They do a surprisingly good job with food in the minimal open area kitchen. The food is great for a bar, pretty good for a restaurant but a bit pricy for the location.

Service is spotty. Sometimes great, sometimes nonexistent - it seems to depend upon who is on duty. I understand that it is a bar after all, but waiting 20 minutes just to get another beer can become annoying. And like so many places in Nha Trang, if you don't order the second round when they come, you won't get another chance - they simply don't check in.

Kudos to the owner, Quin. He is an all around nice guy, always friendly and happy to see everyone come in. He is the type of person that makes you feel glad you are in his place.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
tara_trouble, Owner at Guava, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thanks for your positive comments on Old Guava - the original and party venue! We are happy to hear you enjoyed the live music nights. See you next time in Nha Trang, check out the new venue Guava Sports Bar & Restaurant.

london
“DO NOT EAT IMPORTED StEAk!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I visited this bar after great reviews on t.a, specifically for the food and the big screen, the big screen was well done, the 2 for 1 beers at 4 pm were also good. However, the food was beyond disappointing, the "Australian steak" imported quality for US$15.00 did not get eaten due to the poor quality, it was cooked to perfection, yet the texture was wrong and could not be chewed, when approaching the English barmen about the matter, he first told us we had ordered Vietnamese steak, this was shortly withdrawn and he then tried to justify that it was Australian fine quality but it was imported and under the conditions it would never be the same. This was unacceptable, and a pathetic excuse. I would believe that this steak had been frozen and defrosted regularly, he also backed up his statement by saying they served english roast dinners and they would never be the same. Sad but true. We were offered a free beer or coke as an apology, yet when asking for half of our money back, for a steak Which could not be eaten, I was told "your having a laugh". I gave up as this was beginning to spoil my day. I announced there was a free steak going, some back packer took it off my hands and ate it only as he was hungry, but also made the comment it was "horrible".
The second steak was given back to the staff.

A free beer and coke was put in front of eah of us, yet out total bill for four people(food and drink) remained at $75 us dollars, still hungry and utterly disappointed, we left after the game to find another food stop and told every body at the hostel not to bother with the place.

The staffs attitude was disgusting and being owned and run by westerners, I would expect much more.
I would hope no one else makes the same mistake as we did.

Avoid Guava bar at all costs, there are many more great places about who deserve business with a better device.

It's sad that I have to be negative on a nice traveling holiday. Thanks to Guava bar.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Great food, Great drinks, Great Prices, Great Staff...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

We found Guava bar a bit by accident. We got to Nha Trang late on the Vietnamese holiday weekend and didn't have any accommodation booked. Once we had finally sorted that out we were starving and looking for somewhere to have a bite to eat and get a drink. Directly across from our hotel was Guava, and there is also another one around the corner, 2 mins walk. The sign for $2 Australian Bellini drew us in first off. And it just kept getting better. The owner of the bar, Quinn, is Canadian, from Vancouver, so he had bottles of Coors Lite available for 15 dong and had the hockey playoffs playing on a big screen which was great for me as I am Canadian too and love the ice hockey. On another screen they had AFL games playing which was great for us as well cause we live in Melbourne, and then the football/soccer on another so most people from all over the world sitting in the bar were happy.
We had a few good breakfasts here as well, massive cups of black coffee just like in Canada, and good quality western breakfasts if you want a break from the local Vietnamese fare. There is also a great rooftop and back garden area where you can hang out and have a bbq. Overall this place is pretty western giving the people who own and run it are Canadian and English, but a great place to hang if you want a good cheap drink, great atmosphere, need a bit of home and want to watch your favourite sport while on holiday in Vietnam.

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“New Guava Rooftop BBQ is Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

The Canadian owned New Guava (around the corner from Old Guava) has an excellent rooftop BBQ option - they bring out pots of hot embers and you BBQ your meat right there at the table - great fun!

The rooftop is a nice setting to come with a friend or a larger group. They have what I consider fairly exotic stuff like Ostrich and Crocodile among all the regularly expected options - both those are delicious by the way - had it for my first time there.

A lot of people also go to New Guava for satellite TV sport events - they were setting up for world cup rugby the day I left town - they'll run the big games pretty much any time of day - sometimes you'll find 20 people there at 8am watching a hockey game!

Finally, good Bloody Mary's - and local beers around $1 - love it.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“The best place in town to catch drinks and tunes - the parties get pretty good here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I've been going back to Vietnam lots over the last 4-5 years and Guava is a spot I always go back to. They've got a proper DJ setup / soundsystem in there - as of recent they put on a rock band friday nights and the place gets packed up nicely.

I don't know if they have a website but if you are going to town do some googling they bring in international dj's from time-to-time and throw some of the best parties in town.

This review is for the 'Old Guava' owned by Canadians on Biet Thu Street - there is a new Guava around the corner that I'll write a review for next - they have an insanely good rooftop BBQ where I fell in love with Ostrich meat - it's like steak!

• Visited September 2011