“Disgusting experience. Food for tourist. Nothing authentic.” 1 of 5 stars

84 058 2471 674
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 263 Restaurants in Nha Trang
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Description: We have been operating since 2008 and hold half day cooking classes for visitors to Nha Trang at a cost of $24 USD per person. It is a great experience of travelling to the local market, buying food and then preparing 3 dishes as chosen by the guests. We also provide a small recipe book at the completion of the tour, as a memento and keepsake. We are also keen to differentiate ourselves from all the other dining places in Nha Trang and give the customer a unique Vietnamese experience. One area is, we are strongly supporting 12 local orphanages. I spent 2 months travelling through Nha Trang & Vietnam & spent a lot of my time with the children at orphanages. As a result, I am trying to give back to these kids, by teaching them life skills and how the real world operates, outside of the usual visits and photo opportunity.That's where the idea for Lanterns came. We invite kids and their careers to each at least one day per month, but any time they wish to come. We encourage the schools/orphanages to allow the older kids to gain work experience at our place and meet the people who visit Vietnam first hand, in a friendly helpful environment.One thing I am strongly committed to, is making sure the kids are not exploited in any way and nothing is ever done without discussing it & getting approval from the carers involved.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Disgusting experience. Food for tourist. Nothing authentic.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

After travelling a month in Vietnam and having the chance to experience many different restaurants being Vietnamese by my father myself, I must say this was an absolute disaster. Nothing authentic here, just good enough for tourists. Fish was overcooked, beef in claypot chewy and full of fat and MSG. A vegetable plate consisting on a few pan fried leaves and again, MSG and probably oyster sauce to cover the lack of flavour, herbs or spicies, like I can easily find in bad Chinese restaurants in Paris or in London, where I leave. Horrible atmosphere with drunk and noisy backpackers. The only good thing, the kindness of the staff although they messed up our order and forgot the side dish, and tryed to cover it by offering a plate of raw tomatoes, lettuce and onions. The dish we ordered arrived so late that we had already finished the others.
Vietnam has an amazing food culture, if you are interested in discovering the essence of this country, you need to get away from this kind of tourists spot, unless, and I was sad to be a witness of how limited some travellers are by watching the table next to ours having French fries and mayo, you feel comfortable visiting Vietnam and are happy with western food such as Chips, Pizza or burgers anywhere you go.
Unfortunately, mass tourist are of this kind, and this is probably why this Lanterns has so many good reviews.
Lanterns is one these bad, expensive and unpleasant restaurant I ever tryed in Vietnam.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
So once again, let us just comment on the facts here and let the reader decide whether this is a genuine reviewer or someone trying to affect our rating on Tripadvisor. So there is MSG in the dishes, so judging from your comments you must be a chef or worked in our kitchen, otherwise how can anyone have any idea what ingredients are used in our dishes. By the way, we don't use MSG in our cooking and have no used MSG since we have been opened. Once again comments about drunk noisy backpackers. I am sure if the recent comments are read together, its quite simple to establish a common theme and sadly all your reviews do is throw questions on the authenticity of reviews made in this forum. The reason Lanterns has many reviews and many good ones is because we operate a genuine honest restaurant which gives everything back to the local community. We will let our customers and returning customers decide just how terrible we are. We have never claimed to the best place or greatest of anything, but we certainly know your comments are not correct

• Korean first
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was a cool little spot. Menu had heaps of choices, food was really nice. The "lanterns" really do give it a lovely atmosphere at night. Food does take awhile to come out, so go before you are too hungry!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi and thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed the dinner and the Lanterns lit up at night time :) Sorry the food was delayed. I will speak to the kitchen again, as we try to make sure all meals are served between 15-20 minutes of guests ordering, depending on how busy it in the restaurant. I do hope any delays were as a result of us being busy or customers arriving at one time, rather than any unnecessary delays. I will speak to the Managers again to review this process and thanks very much for your support. Hope to see you back again, from all of us at Lanterns
London, UK
“Nice setting in the open air”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Lanterns stood out to us because of the setting with a large outdoor area filled with asian lanterns. The food lived up to the decor with many of the local dishes comparing very well to other restaurants we stopped in, in Vietnam.

Visited October 2012
Hello and thanks for your kind words. I am so pleased you were attracted by the décor and that the food matched the setting. We do work very hard to make coming to Lanterns a total experience and night out. Everyone working at Lanterns understands that we try to make good food, good setting and good staff all part of an enjoyable night out. I wish I could say we had it all perfect but we don't and we try to keep improving all parts of our restaurant to make sure we deliver the best we can to customers. Most importantly, am glad the food was goos as that is the most important part :) Appreciate your support and hope to see you again, from the Lanterns family
uk
“First and last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We ate here on our arrival based on the reviews on TA, (the genuine ones) very impressed with the service, value, decor, cleanliness and quality of the food, we were only in the resort 4 days but after eating at the other top rated restaurants we decided we had to have our last meal at the lantern, we arrived with 2 suitcases and a rucksack, not a problem the staff put them in a corner for us. Wife had beef ginger I had the chicken clay pot, both dishes were excellent, if anyone tells you the food and service is not good, take this with a pinch of salt. We found the staff very attentive and pleasant without being overbearing. I get quite annoyed when I read unfair biased criticism of a place that does not deserve it, if it was not up to scratch I would say so. Was it a bit more expensive than competitors, I didn't notice, and don't forget this establishment supports the under privileged in the local community so if it cost me a dollar more so be it. Give it a try and decide for yourself, or miss a treat.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hello, my Manager told me she had a chat with a couple about the TA reviews, so I assume from your comments that you are the person she spoke about, as it seems very similar, if not I apologise for getting it wrong :) I am sure from your discussion you were able to see she was quite upset about other comments made and I am sure you saw first hand the staff take all comments very personal, even if its obvious it isn't true. I appreciate all your support, especially coming back a second time. Glad you were able to bring your bags and sit down for your last meal in Nha Trang. Sadly we cannot control what people want to say about us and over the years, we have been accused of not doing any charity/community work and using it as a front to promote Lanterns, we have been accused of food poisoning and in recent times, people have decided to attack our staff about stealing and using MSG in our cooking, without any support of proof to make those comments? I would hope people who find us on TA take time to look over all comments and replies and decide for themselves what is truth and lies. I do want to say thank you for discussing it with the Manager because after you left I got an email detailing your visit and she was happy to meet some genuine people, so thanks for doing that. Hope you will come back to see us in Nha Trang one day soon, from the team at Lanterns
wales
“Absolutely amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This restuarant is fabuluous, the staff are so friendly and ready to help in any way they can, we enjoyed it so much we went back time and time again. Quite possibly one of the best vietnamese restaurants in Nha Trang.
great variety of foods all well cooked, some at teh table - I really recommend the hot pot. the watresses are impoeccable in their behaviour and manners and all have a good grasp of several languages.
I cant recommend this place highly enough...

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Hi and thanks so much for the kind words. We are so pleased you enjoyed the food and service after recent outrageous criticism it is nice to read some good words about our staff. We thank you for the support whilst in Nha Trang and hope you will be back one day soon, from all of us at Lanterns