“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

84 058 2471 674
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 260 Restaurants in Nha Trang
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Description: We have been operating since 2008 and hold half day cooking classes for visitors to Nha Trang at a cost of $24 USD per person. It is a great experience of travelling to the local market, buying food and then preparing 3 dishes as chosen by the guests. We also provide a small recipe book at the completion of the tour, as a memento and keepsake. We are also keen to differentiate ourselves from all the other dining places in Nha Trang and give the customer a unique Vietnamese experience. One area is, we are strongly supporting 12 local orphanages. I spent 2 months travelling through Nha Trang & Vietnam & spent a lot of my time with the children at orphanages. As a result, I am trying to give back to these kids, by teaching them life skills and how the real world operates, outside of the usual visits and photo opportunity.That's where the idea for Lanterns came. We invite kids and their careers to each at least one day per month, but any time they wish to come. We encourage the schools/orphanages to allow the older kids to gain work experience at our place and meet the people who visit Vietnam first hand, in a friendly helpful environment.One thing I am strongly committed to, is making sure the kids are not exploited in any way and nothing is ever done without discussing it & getting approval from the carers involved.
Geelong
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

This was very disappointing, the venue is very nice looking, and the service was good, however, the food was not great. My husband got the seafood noodle dish, which comprised of 2 pieces of calamari and 2 prawns and that was it. It was the most pathetic amount of seafood we had seen. Really not good.

• Visited January 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
Hello and thanks for your review. Firstly, i wish to apologise for the disappointment in your dish at Lanterns. I am sincerely sorry the amount of seafood in your dish was not up to standard and please rest assured I have already spoken to the kitchen to review their preparation of the Seafood Noodle dish and make sure it is prepared and sent out according to the standards we have set ourselves.

We pride ourselves at Lanterns on the size and quality of our portions but sadly this time we didnt deliever. I know we dont always get things right and unfortunately this was one of those instances when our kitchen made a mistake.

Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention and once again sorry for the occurence. Hopefully this problem will not accur again. The team at Lanterns.

• Korean first
Whitehorse, Canada
“Best Hotpot we've had in 3 weeks...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

I've been traveling with my Veitnamese wife who has been taking me to inexpensive local restaurants. The food has been cheap but for the most part the quality has been average.

Based on TA reviews I decided to give this place a shot. We ordered the beef hotpot and it was excellent. Even my wife (who has commented after every meal we've eaten that she can cook better) enjoyed it...

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
I must say thank you so much for the words in your review and while i have responded to many reviews here in tripadvisor, none has set me back and humbled me as much as your review. To enjoy our food is a great compliment to me and i am glad when i hear people have enjoyed their evening, but the fact your Vietnamese wife was complimentary of the food and enjoyed it, is a huge compliment to all of our staff and to everyone in the kitchen.

I will pass your words onto all our staff and can only say once again, thank you so much for taking the time to write such kind words.

I hope we get the chance to see you back again in Nha Trang. The team at Lanterns
Nha Trang, Vietnam
“Really good food, service, and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Lantern's is one of the best restaurants in town. The service is really friendly and they have fantastic food. The Pho is excellent. Our favorites are the hotpot with beef, the ginger chicken, the lemongrass chicken, and the vegetable spring rolls. The only thing we didn't really like was Chicken in a Coconut. It wasn't bad, just a little too bland for our taste. If you're someone who finds ginger or spicy pepper overpowering then the Chicken in a Coconut may suit you. We love the mango smoothies with yogurt as well. For the price, the portions are excellent as well. Lantern's also offers cooking classes which we will do in the future. Overall, a great experience every time we go.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hello and thank you so much for the generous words in your review. Glad you enjoyed the dishes but i will mention to the kitchen about the Chicken in Coconut to make sure it is up to the standard we expect for all dishes that leave our kitchen. Always happy to hear from customers and do hope you get the chance to get to one of our cooking classes. All the best and enjoy Nha Trang
London, United Kingdom
“Truly amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Had an amazing experience there twice!

First time around we ordered a mini BBQ to the table. The chef marinates the chicken for you and you can cook it or if you don't trust yourself the staff can cook for you at your table. We just found this fun! you can order pork and I think beef.

Next time around had Lemongrass chicken which was nice and spicy. Never do this normally but ordered it twice at the same dinner. Not that the portion wasn't good i just got greedy!

Veg spring rolls came out fresh and piping hot. They went down a treat!

I also had a tropical twist smoothie which was nice.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Hello, just wanted to send a big thank you for your kind words in your recent tripadvisor review. I must admit the Sizzling BBQ is a favourite of mine and the novelty is still fun for me no matter how many times i tried it.

I am really pleased that you went back for dinner again, in a very competitive market and travellers coming and going, it pleases me to know people value our food enough to come back and eat again.

I am really glad to receive your feedback and will be sure to pass your comments to all the staff. We will keep working hard to maintain our quality. Thanks from everyone at Lanterns
Adelaide, Australia
“So good we went back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Being the top pick in Lonely Planet we were always going to try Lanterns and are glad we did. Very pleasant surrounds and the food was excellent. What was important to us was the quality of the ingredients such as the pork, chicken and beef. This is often an issue in Vietnam and we were very happy with the meat used. Its worth spending a few thousand extra dong to dine here compared to some of the other more modest establishments. Still very good value at under AUD$20 (for 2) for entree, mains and a couple of drinks. We made a point of returning to Lanterns on our last night in Nha Trang to ensure we left on a high note.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Hi there, i just wanted to pass on my heartfelt thanks for the kind words in your Tripadvisor review. We place great importance on the freshness of our ingredients and being a westerner myself, i understand how important the quality of food is when travelling anywhere, especially South East Asia. Luckily, we have a good group of people working at Lanterns who also understand this concept and work to achieve the same quality to everyone who eats at Lanterns. I know we need to keep working hard and we dont always get it right, but i am happy to see they get it right more often than not :)

We make sure we source the best quality meat and produce that we can to ensure our food is prepeared and served fresh. I am really glad you could identify our subtle differences and more importantly, i was really glad you returned again.

As with all reviews, i will pass your comments to all our staff and the kitchen and we will make sure we keep improving and building on our reputation. Thanks again for your review, appreciate you taking the time to write. The team at Lanterns