“Very nice rooms beautiful river view” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Hung Vuong Boulevard, Hue, Vietnam   |
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Hue
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Japan
“Very nice rooms beautiful river view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

This is a huge hotel with big, very nice and clean rooms. All the amenities of a 4 star hotel. Free internet available in all rooms and in the lobby. Beds are very comfortable. Helpful staff. The hotel has a roof top bar, but don't expect too much about the service. The real catch here is the superb view of the river specially during sunset. Breakfast was very good, with plenty of dishes to select. No dinner available, maybe because there are cheapest options to go for in Hue. Tours from the hotel are expensive, but you can find cheaper options available in Mandarin Cafe (just cross the street, exit through the bar in the 1st. floor), or cross the street, exit from the lobby, and head a few steps to the main avenue (Stop and Go Cafe).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
sonimperial, Assistant General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give your kind comments on December 27th, 2009. It was so great to be heard that you liked nice and clean room, comfortable bed, good breakfast and helpful staff of our hotel. But we feel a shame you mentioned that the poor service at Top Bar (even it has the superb view of the river specially during sunset). We would focus more in it and also consider to amend the tour price more reasonable.
Again we thank you very much for bringing this important information to us.
Looking forward to seeing you back our hotel in near future.

Best regards,
Le Dinh SON
Hp+8490 585 6666

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

My husband I stayed at the Imperial Hotal for one night as part of a three night tour of Hue/Hoi An.
The hotel staff were welcoming and efficient. Our room was spacious, clean and had a great view over the perfume river (although the hallway did smell damp - most likely due to the high humidity in Hue). We were also given a "honeymoon cake" which was a lovely surprise. The buffet breakfast was excellent in terms of selection and quality - exactly what we'd expect from a 5 star hotel.
The hotel offers free internet access in the reception area. Whilst this was a lovely touch (the Melia charged by the minute), the internet connection was extremely slow and temperamental.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
sonimperial, Assistant General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give your kind comments on December 23rd, 2009. It was our pleasure to hear that our staff was very helpful with you, hotel room was spacious, clean with a great view over the Perfume river, and breakfast was excellent as you were expecting from a Fiver Star Hotel.
We agree with you that in the high humid weather in Hue, sometimes the carpet has a little smell damp, we do apologies for this thing and have already had solution with it. Thank you very much for let us know this thing and we look forward to seeing you back our hotel in near future.

Best regards,
Le Dinh SON
Hp+8490 585 6666
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Stayed two nights at this hotel, great location few minutes walk to the riverfront. The facilities were great, lovely big rooms.Staff very friendly. Lovely pool area. The open air rooftop bar is a fantastic area to sit and take in the wonderful views over the city especially at night. Had breakfast both mornings lots of choice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

This hotel may look ok but comes with abusolutely terrible service. Even worse than 2-3 star hotels.

I used the Panorama Bar on a top floor to cool down and work, escaping from the terriblly hot weather in Hue. I arrived there and ordered a "iced black coffee." It should have been a simple order for them.

I then got a hot cofee with excessive amount of sugar in it (for those who stayed in Vietnam would know how sweet it would be). Well, I said, "this is hot and sweet. Please gve me iced black coffee, a coffee without sugar."

The waiter went back to the bar counter with a pissed-off attitude and said something to his colleagues in Vietnamese in a very rude manner, obviously complaining about me returning the coffee to them This made me feel abusolutely terrible as they behaved as if I was wrong and they were blaming me (for their mistake!!).

After some talk at the bar counter, he came back to me with ice cubes in a glass and then gone back to the bar counter. I asked again, "do I get another cup of coffee without sugar?" They said NO, asking if I want to order (=pay for) another cup of coffee.

I responded that they needed to replace the bloody sweet hot coffee with iced black coffee as I originally ordered. But, they insisted that the coffee on a hotel menu always comes with sugar in it -- they are blaming me not mentioning "without sugar."

I said to them that internationally "black coffee" means coffee without sugar. I don't care if "it is normal" in Vietnam to add sugar to the black coffee, but this hotel is bloody five-star international hotel, so they should know it.

I think this is ridiculous that they blamed and offended a customer just for the sake of saving a cup of coffee. They didn't even say sorry for thier mistake.

I left the bar and went down to the reception to ask for General Manager. The receptionist said that I could not talk to the GM because he/she is Vietnamese and does not speak English at all. What kind of a GM of a five-star hotel who does not speak a single word of English? Finally I taked to the Assistant Manager to report the problem, but I wanted to leave the hotel as soon as I can as I was really disgusted the way they treat their customer at the bar.

They claim they are five star, but they tried to save even a cup of coffee to increase their profit margine. I have to say I really hate this hotel and would never never never come back again.

---------------

They call themselves a "five-star" hotel, but nothing was at that level in this hotel. When you enter the hotel, door boys are often sitting somewhere else, making himself completely useless for guests (occationary they are there at the door though); hotel rooms are quite average at 4 star level at the most; quality of restaurants are not at all five-star; and the service at spa and panorama lounge are abusolutely poor as compare to its self-rating.

When we used the spa, the spa staff came with their mobile phones to the treatment room and were actually taking phone calls and sms during the treatment. The treatment room and facility were nice, but the staff had no idea about how to control the temprature or jet flows -- we had to try pushing many buttons to adjust everything by ourselve (in a treatment room!). Some staff had long nails that hurts our body. Everything was understandable when we saw the spa manager, who did not obviously look like a spa manager. He was a nice, harmless guy, but I really didn't think he had had any working experience at a five-star spa in his whole life!

When we went to the panorama bar (lounge), the staff (assumingly new staff) in uniforms were sitting and leaning on a couch, taking pictures of themselves in different poses. Some were completely into TV (they changed the channel from English to local Vietnamese channel to entertain themselves,,, in a five-star lounge!).

I would still accept the above if I was staying at 2 or 3 star hotels, but this is a "five-star" hotel for Christ's sake. If you expect anything 5-star, you would be surely dissapointed at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
sonimperial, Assistant General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Dear Kenyalang

On behalf of Imperial Hotel Hue I would like to say thank you for taking the time to give your kind comments on 23 October,2009. Though this happened over one year already, but we still remember clearly in my mind and feel what a shame with 5 star hotel to let that happened. It is person like you that helped us understand where we were standing and how to improve hotel’s service better. Mr. Kenyalang many things have already changed from that time, now we do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to Imperial Hotel Hue Vietnam. We shall have no stone unturned again to provide you with the most beautiful, comfortable rooms, delightful cuisine, and personal attention that you have a right to demand this time.
Regards,
Le Dinh Son
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

This hotel surpassed expectations. The check-in/out procedure was very efficient and trouble free. Rooms were large and clean with all the amenities one would expect of a four/five star hotel. All the hotel staff treated us as their guests and the restaurant and bar staff were particularly friendly and courteous. Internet access was free. The hotel is centrally located and within easy walking to markets and the river.

• Stayed August 2009
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

Being recommended by some of my experienced friends, we finally chose Imperial Hotel Hue for my stay during my second visit to Hue, Vietnam.
The Hotel offered very warm welcome from the airport to the Hotel's Lobby. Bellboys, front office's staff and even F&B staff called us by our name. We felt at our sweet home. Hotel's design and interior decor are so amazing. From Panorama Bar on top floor, we could have an overview over romantic Perfume River, the old Citadel and some historic sites. Bar, Swimming pool, Gym, Gaming center, Spa... are all inclusive. We enjoyed all days long in-house. This is truly a 5-star International Hotel. I surely come back here shortly.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!