“Hotel with amazing view” 4 of 5 stars

Imperial Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Hung Vuong Boulevard, Hue, Vietnam   |
Ranked #22 of 109 hotels in Hue
Toronto, Canada
“Hotel with amazing view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The first time I have come to Hue City, Vietnam. How wonderful! Hue is very poetic and peaceful, people often say such like this. My family stayed at Imperial Hotel for 2 days. My first impression here is the spacious lobby with pillars of dragons on it. I took occasion of taking some photos for souvenirs. The staff, in general, are very helpful, friendly and professional when I need help. My room is Deluxe River View, the reception said so. What an amazing view from my bed. I can admire Perfume River and panoramic view, especially at night, very romantic. The following day, I enjoyed breakfast at Imperial restaurant. A variety of dishes and breakfast is very good. The reception introduced me some tours, and I chose half day tour to Citadel and Thien Mu pagoda. Though my family was a little bit tired after tour, we are very happy, new experience in Hue City. I will come back to Imperial Hotel for future trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here to treat ourselves at the end of our 2 week tour of north and central Vietnam. Whilst the hotel was fantastic, we were very disappointed with it's associated Spa!

The room and view were great, specifically the shower was just fantastic by comparison to other hotels we have stayed in, the late-night cocktail and view from the 16th floor King's Panorama Bar was extravagant but worthwhile, the breakfast buffet was excellent and the staff were helpful. However, the Spa experience was very different. It seems it is run by another company and was disorganised, poorly communicated and executed, cumbersome, confusing and well below other less "exclusive" experiences we have had in Vietnam.

The Spa experience aside, we found the hotel a great central spot to enjoy a more upmarket and relaxing experience in the historical city of Hue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Imperial H, Director of Sales at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear newda02,

Thank you very much for your most complimentary feedback about our facilities.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed our spacious rooms,staff, breakfast, King's Panorama Bar and the located in the central which allowed you to relax and make your stay very enjoyable.

We hope to be able to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards from Imperial hotel hue!

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I've been staying with my family for 3 days at Imperial hotel (on 6th of April). The stay was really nice and we are so delighted when realize that we made judicious choice for our stay during our trip in Hue. The first thing about the staff, upon arriving we were welcomed in a valley of smiles from the very first person I met Hang (i'm not sure this is correct spelling). She explained everything (about breakfast, internet access, roof top bar...) and we had available room for us with the key card (we did not expect so cause we know that the check-in time should be at 2pm). We really appreciate this because our child so tired after overnight train. Entering the room, it was clean and quiet (couldn't hear a noise). The bathroom is also spacious and very clean. Very rich and tasty breakfast, I love scrambled eggs :). Staying 3 nights, we have many time for the tour and shopping. Congratulations to Imperial hotel that you own fantastic location with a city hotel. 5 minutes walking to Perfume River, 15 minutes to Imperial City and the same time for walking to shopping area (Chu Van An street). I found Tropical garden in guide book and fortunately that it's also in this area and not too far from hotel. The only thing we regret is the swimming pool is on maintenance during our stay and our son a little disappointed about this. Any way, just want to send you a congratulations from the heart, you are so fantastic.

Room Tip: Room on high floor with river view (we were in room #1403 with fantastic view to Perfume River)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Imperial H, Director of Sales at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear DoraLee410,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful to receive such remarkable comments on the services provided to you during your stay, wonderful and positive remarks about the staff, the atmosphere, facilities and services.

Rest assured that your feedback will inspire us to continue to give the best experience to all our guests.

We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.

Best regards from Imperial Hue,

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is really good hotel with wonderful services! We stayed for 2 nights and my wife just wanted to stay more due to the good services. Hotel staffs were very helpfull when we needed help. They introduced about the city attracttions and plan the route for us. The location of hotel is the best. We can walk anywhere for 5-10mins from the hotel, Our room has the very good view of perfume river. Strongly recommend book the junior suite river view. It was deserve for money. Again recommend this hotel for anyone who want to discover the attraction of Hue city. Thank you all and would like to come back.

Room Tip: There is a shop in front of hotel which has the bicycles for rent. it is very good for travelling in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ryan h,

Thank you very much for having taken a moment of your valuable time to write a review regarding your excellent experience at Imperial Hotel Hue.

On behalf of the entire staff I would like to thank you very much for providing your wonderful comments. Our biggest reward and motivation is, that we have made your stay a pleasant one to remember.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Best Regards,

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We traveled here as part of a tour with Riviera Travel so our hotels were obviously their selection. This has been decorated in a traditional style and was lovely and rather refreshing to see after so many other 5* hotels which all are similar. However, the lighting in both the bedroom and the bathroom was dire, but this was my only real complaint. The bathrooms had a separate shower which was nice, and there was also a bath. Our room was double aspect, large and comfortable although we were unable to see the river. Well located and an easy walk to the river and the markets. The staff were friendly and courteous.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Imperial H, Director of Sales at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Funtington,

Thank you for taking time to post your review on Tripadvisor.com

The Management team is very delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel facilities, services available and the friendliness of our staff.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we did hope that you told your problem with us immediately then we could deal with that to make you stay more comfortable.

We appreciate your stay with us and truly want to make your experience as pleasant as possible and we hope you will continue to choose Imperial Hotel Hue for your future travel needs in Vietnam.

Best regards,

vancouver b.c.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Travelling with a family of 7 is not an easy feat as one has so many diverse needs and concerns to address...finding just the right hotel to fit the bill such as ...does it have a good gym, is the restaurant really good, are the rooms clean and spacious, is the hotel centrally located? if the hotel is old, have any recent renovations been done to update the property are just some of the challenges I had to address. So, when I chose the "5 star" Imperial Hotel for 2 nights and one of them being on New Year's Eve, I thought that this place fit the bill! Although esthetically quite pleasing in that the entrance, lobby and rooms were all quite spacious, new and grandeur, the service was definitely not of an international 5 star caliber.

As an example, our New Year's Eve dinner gala was promised to be the highlight of our trip (a mandatory charge of $50 pp that we had to pay even though we did not want it) we reluctantly agreed as this was a condition to stay at the hotel and we were finally actually looking forward to this special New Years Eve in Asia. In the end, to say that we were extremely disappointed with this evening is a gross understatement.

From, the dinner buffet viewpoint, we found the food to be very unappetizing in both taste and appearance. As examples, an overcooked roast turkey was so dry that we could hardly swallow it and the fact that there was no additional turkey to be brought out even when there was nothing left on the first roast. As well, there was no additional "famous roasted suckling pig" when there was clearly no more to offer at around 8:30pm. The wine tasted like something that was homemade and there was not a hint of alcoholic content to it. The dessert selection looked like it was made by a very amateur person...
As it was billed as a spectacular gala, we expected at least a semi-formal dress code only to find that many were in the jeans and t-shirts.
With regards to the "spectacular entertainment", it was something of a local Vietnamese Idol contest from student type fashion show to Elvis impersonators. The volume of the music was so loud that it hurt our ears ...I had requested if it was possible to turn down the volume of the P.A. system but nothing happened. We left early extremely shocked and disgusted by this promised "highlight of our trip".
However, with regards to the breakfast buffet, this was definitely one of the better ones we encountered on our Vietnamese travels, a large extensive selection of western and authentic Vietnamese offerings.
My choice in selecting this newer hotel property versus an older one with charm and character (like Saigon Morin) is still a good one if you don't care too much about quality of service that is consistent with a European or North American standard 5 star property. You will still get a great nights sleep in a clean, new and spacious room decorated in strong Asian colors and teak furnishings. With regards to fitness, pool and spa, I can't comment as I didn't have a chance to try these places out. Also, there is a small smoke filled casino on site as well.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the river is a definite perk if you have time to enjoy it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Imperial H, Director of Sales at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear eatluvshop,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are all still rejoicing over your superb review of our Hotel.

We at Imperial Hue strive to make every guest feel special, sharing our Vietnamese hospitality and making sure that our guests stay and leave satisfied, making their stay a special one to remember - you obvious discovered this during your stay.

All of us are again saying:' Thank you very, very much!' and we hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again.

Best regards from Imperial Hue Hotel,

Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent three nights here.

They boast of being the first 5-star hotel in Hue. That may be true but what we experienced is not quite on that par. We had booked (and pre-paid) a river view room. We were given a city-view room looking over unfinished construction. Just after check-in we went up to the roof for a drink and to take in the views. When my husband saw the spectacular view of the river from the rooftop he said, "I can't believe we paid for this type of view and were given a city view". He used the bar's phone to have a talk with the hotel about our room. They agreed to move us and did give us a riverview room. The rooms are OK, amenities OK, but it just felt aesthetic somehow. There was no clock in the room, which we found odd. Pillows were hard as rocks adn so thick we just slept without them.

After a long and very hot day we were craving a dip in the pool. It was closed during our stay, for cleaning. It must have been really dirty to take that many days to clean. We chose this hotel because we wanted a pool, and for the location in the city. We did get 50% of that.

We had lunch at Moc restaurant. It was really pricey for what we could have gotten elsewhere but we were hot and weary, so we took the easy route. The food was mediocre at best. We have had excellent street food in Vietnam that puts this to shame.

The spa...Our second day there we each booked a full body massage. they put a hard sell on us to have the VIP "first class" treatment over the "economy", handing us a brochure that indicated we would get a steam and private pool in the room, a much larger room. The economy was just a room. We took the bait. I was taken into a double room with a jacuzzi that had been drained and and shower and steam room that I was not given access to. I only received a massage; no steam or pool. Afterward the girl stood and watched me dress(!!), before handing me a bottle of water and escorting me out. My husband was very happy with his massage although he did not get the VIP part either. He said he wanted to book the same again for the next day. I was not going to do another, but decided I would book the head massage that had looked wonderful in the advertisement. We tried to talk to them about the "first class" part but they didn't respond, just gathered around giggling and acting like they did not understand us. We did get charged for the more expensive treatment. My husband is such a nice guy he said we would let it ride because it was too hard to be understood. Red flag - that I did not heed.
We returned the next day for our second treatment, mine to be a 40-minute head and scalp massage. We stressed we did not want "VIP/First Class" - just the regular treatment. The receptionist nodded and then stuck us both into the same room I had been in the previous day. My husband did get the same girl and happily settled in for his full body massage. I had someone else, not the gal I had requested. Why didn't I listen to my instincts and just cancel???
What I got was a back massage for about 30 minutes - literally, the girl massaged my back, kidneys and buttocks round and round until I thought my skin would come off. And to add insult to injury, she had something really sharp and scratchy on the palm of her hand that felt like a hangnail that scratched the heck out of my skin. I couldn't enjoy it for wondering when she would get to my head and stop tearing up my back. When I tried to communicate this to her she ignored me as though she didn't understand anything I was saying. She finally asked me to turn over. She then proceeded to smash her thumbs into my eyes. I moaned and jerked because I could literally feel and hear something crunching under the skin around the bones of my lower eyes. I flailed my hands and she giggled! I was nearly in tears when she finally addressed my head. She parted my hair, then started yanking it from the roots near my part. She did this about three times and then announced, "OK, finished!" I said, "That's it?" she stood aside, grabbed my robe, draped it around me and swept her hand aside as though indicating me to get up and get dressed. This girl also watched me dress, set a bottle of water on the table and walked out. I was so dumbfounded that I walked out toward the reception desk which was surrounded by giggling attendants. When I approached, one of the girls said, your husband can sign when he finishes". I started to say something but was literally on the verge of tears. I was furious more with myself mostly because I do not cry easily but my lip was trembling so that I decided there was nothing I could really do or say. They would just act as though they didn't understand me. When I told my husband about it later we decided it would do no good to say anything to teh hotel, because the spa is apparently provided by some Swiss company. I am writing it here though so that someone else does not have to go through this if this gets read. The next morning (today actually) we hasd to get up very early for our ride to the train station. I awoke with an excruciating headache and back ache. I have been taking ibuprofen all day for the pain. I hope this is temporary.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Barbjgladney,

Completely agree with you that we are the first 5 star hotel in Hue city and we cannot deny that our price is much better than others, so when you booked a city view room, you did get the best price! We was very happy when we had one river view room which we offered you as a solution in your case with free of charge.

About swimming pool, monthly we take just a day to clean and re-open at 8p.m to bring the best quality for our guest, we are so sorry if you feel bothersome about that!

With reference to your feedback that you were experiencing a problem from our hotel staff service and the the pillows, we sincerely apologize and please rest assured that remedial action has already been taken to ensure that there wouldn’t be a recurrence of this nature.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Imperial Hue and look forward eagerly to welcoming you The Imperial Hue on your next visit.

Best regards from Imperial Hotel Hue,

Hoai Nguyen

Been to Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!