“Royalty in the making” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 110 Hotels in Hue
vancouver b.c.
“Royalty in the making”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Travelling with a family of 7 is not an easy feat as one has so many diverse needs and concerns to address...finding just the right hotel to fit the bill such as ...does it have a good gym, is the restaurant really good, are the rooms clean and spacious, is the hotel centrally located? if the hotel is old, have any recent renovations been done to update the property are just some of the challenges I had to address. So, when I chose the "5 star" Imperial Hotel for 2 nights and one of them being on New Year's Eve, I thought that this place fit the bill! Although esthetically quite pleasing in that the entrance, lobby and rooms were all quite spacious, new and grandeur, the service was definitely not of an international 5 star caliber.

As an example, our New Year's Eve dinner gala was promised to be the highlight of our trip (a mandatory charge of $50 pp that we had to pay even though we did not want it) we reluctantly agreed as this was a condition to stay at the hotel and we were finally actually looking forward to this special New Years Eve in Asia. In the end, to say that we were extremely disappointed with this evening is a gross understatement.

From, the dinner buffet viewpoint, we found the food to be very unappetizing in both taste and appearance. As examples, an overcooked roast turkey was so dry that we could hardly swallow it and the fact that there was no additional turkey to be brought out even when there was nothing left on the first roast. As well, there was no additional "famous roasted suckling pig" when there was clearly no more to offer at around 8:30pm. The wine tasted like something that was homemade and there was not a hint of alcoholic content to it. The dessert selection looked like it was made by a very amateur person...
As it was billed as a spectacular gala, we expected at least a semi-formal dress code only to find that many were in the jeans and t-shirts.
With regards to the "spectacular entertainment", it was something of a local Vietnamese Idol contest from student type fashion show to Elvis impersonators. The volume of the music was so loud that it hurt our ears ...I had requested if it was possible to turn down the volume of the P.A. system but nothing happened. We left early extremely shocked and disgusted by this promised "highlight of our trip".
However, with regards to the breakfast buffet, this was definitely one of the better ones we encountered on our Vietnamese travels, a large extensive selection of western and authentic Vietnamese offerings.
My choice in selecting this newer hotel property versus an older one with charm and character (like Saigon Morin) is still a good one if you don't care too much about quality of service that is consistent with a European or North American standard 5 star property. You will still get a great nights sleep in a clean, new and spacious room decorated in strong Asian colors and teak furnishings. With regards to fitness, pool and spa, I can't comment as I didn't have a chance to try these places out. Also, there is a small smoke filled casino on site as well.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the river is a definite perk if you have time to enjoy it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Imperial H, Director of Sales at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear eatluvshop,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are all still rejoicing over your superb review of our Hotel.

We at Imperial Hue strive to make every guest feel special, sharing our Vietnamese hospitality and making sure that our guests stay and leave satisfied, making their stay a special one to remember - you obvious discovered this during your stay.

All of us are again saying:' Thank you very, very much!' and we hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again.

Best regards from Imperial Hue Hotel,

Hoai Nguyen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Korean first
Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent three nights here.

They boast of being the first 5-star hotel in Hue. That may be true but what we experienced is not quite on that par. We had booked (and pre-paid) a river view room. We were given a city-view room looking over unfinished construction. Just after check-in we went up to the roof for a drink and to take in the views. When my husband saw the spectacular view of the river from the rooftop he said, "I can't believe we paid for this type of view and were given a city view". He used the bar's phone to have a talk with the hotel about our room. They agreed to move us and did give us a riverview room. The rooms are OK, amenities OK, but it just felt aesthetic somehow. There was no clock in the room, which we found odd. Pillows were hard as rocks adn so thick we just slept without them.

After a long and very hot day we were craving a dip in the pool. It was closed during our stay, for cleaning. It must have been really dirty to take that many days to clean. We chose this hotel because we wanted a pool, and for the location in the city. We did get 50% of that.

We had lunch at Moc restaurant. It was really pricey for what we could have gotten elsewhere but we were hot and weary, so we took the easy route. The food was mediocre at best. We have had excellent street food in Vietnam that puts this to shame.

The spa...Our second day there we each booked a full body massage. they put a hard sell on us to have the VIP "first class" treatment over the "economy", handing us a brochure that indicated we would get a steam and private pool in the room, a much larger room. The economy was just a room. We took the bait. I was taken into a double room with a jacuzzi that had been drained and and shower and steam room that I was not given access to. I only received a massage; no steam or pool. Afterward the girl stood and watched me dress(!!), before handing me a bottle of water and escorting me out. My husband was very happy with his massage although he did not get the VIP part either. He said he wanted to book the same again for the next day. I was not going to do another, but decided I would book the head massage that had looked wonderful in the advertisement. We tried to talk to them about the "first class" part but they didn't respond, just gathered around giggling and acting like they did not understand us. We did get charged for the more expensive treatment. My husband is such a nice guy he said we would let it ride because it was too hard to be understood. Red flag - that I did not heed.
We returned the next day for our second treatment, mine to be a 40-minute head and scalp massage. We stressed we did not want "VIP/First Class" - just the regular treatment. The receptionist nodded and then stuck us both into the same room I had been in the previous day. My husband did get the same girl and happily settled in for his full body massage. I had someone else, not the gal I had requested. Why didn't I listen to my instincts and just cancel???
What I got was a back massage for about 30 minutes - literally, the girl massaged my back, kidneys and buttocks round and round until I thought my skin would come off. And to add insult to injury, she had something really sharp and scratchy on the palm of her hand that felt like a hangnail that scratched the heck out of my skin. I couldn't enjoy it for wondering when she would get to my head and stop tearing up my back. When I tried to communicate this to her she ignored me as though she didn't understand anything I was saying. She finally asked me to turn over. She then proceeded to smash her thumbs into my eyes. I moaned and jerked because I could literally feel and hear something crunching under the skin around the bones of my lower eyes. I flailed my hands and she giggled! I was nearly in tears when she finally addressed my head. She parted my hair, then started yanking it from the roots near my part. She did this about three times and then announced, "OK, finished!" I said, "That's it?" she stood aside, grabbed my robe, draped it around me and swept her hand aside as though indicating me to get up and get dressed. This girl also watched me dress, set a bottle of water on the table and walked out. I was so dumbfounded that I walked out toward the reception desk which was surrounded by giggling attendants. When I approached, one of the girls said, your husband can sign when he finishes". I started to say something but was literally on the verge of tears. I was furious more with myself mostly because I do not cry easily but my lip was trembling so that I decided there was nothing I could really do or say. They would just act as though they didn't understand me. When I told my husband about it later we decided it would do no good to say anything to teh hotel, because the spa is apparently provided by some Swiss company. I am writing it here though so that someone else does not have to go through this if this gets read. The next morning (today actually) we hasd to get up very early for our ride to the train station. I awoke with an excruciating headache and back ache. I have been taking ibuprofen all day for the pain. I hope this is temporary.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Barbjgladney,

Completely agree with you that we are the first 5 star hotel in Hue city and we cannot deny that our price is much better than others, so when you booked a city view room, you did get the best price! We was very happy when we had one river view room which we offered you as a solution in your case with free of charge.

About swimming pool, monthly we take just a day to clean and re-open at 8p.m to bring the best quality for our guest, we are so sorry if you feel bothersome about that!

With reference to your feedback that you were experiencing a problem from our hotel staff service and the the pillows, we sincerely apologize and please rest assured that remedial action has already been taken to ensure that there wouldn’t be a recurrence of this nature.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Imperial Hue and look forward eagerly to welcoming you The Imperial Hue on your next visit.

Best regards from Imperial Hotel Hue,

surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night as part of a tour of Vietnam. It was a great hotel with excellent service.
Our large room had a double aspect and whilst it was classed as a city view you could also see the perfume river. It was our wedding anniversary and when we returned to the hotel later that night they had left a personalised cake .

We had dinner at a near by local restaurant but did have breakfast in the hotel, where there was a great selection of continental, western and Vietnamese food. All areas of the hotel are well decorated and maintained. We did have drinks in the roof top terrace, and whilst they weren’t cheap they were worth it for the view across the perfume river & the service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Imperial H, Director of Sales at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear mm29,

Thank you most kindly for your review of our property and your stay with us.

We are extremely pleased that we were able to make your special stay one to remember and that your expectations about our service and amenities were met.

Trusting that you will be able to return in the future and experience more of our Vietnamese hospitality, we remain with

And once again, happy your wedding anniversary!!!

southport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in early March and only have great things to say about the hotel.

We arrived late in the evening to friendly staff and a drink of tea and were swiftly taken up to our lovely corner room on the 14th floor (1418). The room was very clean and the largest we had our whole trip to Vietnam. The decorations were dark wood, the huge bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely with good toiletries. The view from our two massive windows was great, overlooking the river and the city/citadel.

The service at breakfast was good and the choice of food was excellent. We also really enjoyed spending time in the Panoramic Bar and found Binh Thind & San to be a credit to the hotel, so genuine and friendly.

We would 100% recommend this hotel and should we come back to Hue we would stay here again.

Room Tip: room 1418 had great views over the river city and citadel.
Dear juzzap,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

It is our aim to always exceed our guest's expectations and we are very delighted to know that San, Binh, Thinh and other staff have made your stay a very pleasant one to remember.

The comments have been shared with all of them and that you have been satisfied is our reward!

We hope to be able to welcoming you in the near future and remain,

with best regards from Imperial Hotel Hue,

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The lobby is spectacular -- employees attired in traditional dress. The service is impeccable. The rooms are dark wood with lots of carvings--lovely. The roof-top bar is a nice place for a late night drink. Really not much to walk to as a tourist, but there's a beautiful pool.

Room Tip: overlooking the pool rather than the street is probably a good idea
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Imperial H, Director of Sales at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you very much for your very complimentary feedback posted on trip advisor.

We are indeed, very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and trust that you will continue to come back again to the Imperial Hotel Hue.

Your comments have been shared with all our associates and they were very pleased to know that their efforts have been duly appreciated and recognized.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

we arrived here on our honeymoon as part of an organised tour and our tour manager mentioned we were just married and the hotel had fresh flowers, fruit and a cake decorated with happy honeymoon piped onit delivered to our room. the hotel is very much a five star and so for the best hotel we have stayed in in Vietnam

• Stayed April 2012
Dear mazzy20,

Thank you very much for posting your most positive response about our services, facilities and staff on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read that your stay with us was memorable and enjoyable, so that you keep excellent memories from Imperial Hotel Hue.

We hope to welcome you in the near future to show you even more of our Vietnamese hospitality.

Happy honneymoon Once again!

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The staff, room and rooftop restaurant were all fabulous. Would stay again!
The only thing missing was the "swim up bar."
The staff was very helpful with transportation and private tours. Reasonably priced and very professional staff

• Stayed March 2013
Dear lnsfavorite,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful to receive such remarkable comments on the services provided to you during your stay, wonderful and positive remarks about the staff, facilities and services.

Rest assured that your feedback will inspire us to continue to give the best experience to all our guests.

We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.

Best regards from Imperial Hotel Hue!

Hoai Nguyen

Been to Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!