“Rip Off Hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Nhat Le Hotel

Nhat Le Hotel
You added Nhat Le Hotel to your Saves list
Nhat Le Hotel
6/34, Nguyen Tri Phuong | Phu Nhuan Ward, Hue, Vietnam (Formerly Thai Binh Hotel 1)   |
Ranked #36 of 112 Hotels in Hue
new york
“Rip Off Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

I experienced all of the problems the other reviewers mentioned (taken to the more expensive Thai Binh 2 despite having booked the cheaper 1, pushy staff, etc). The agreed upon price was $12 w/o breakfast and $15 including. However, after the first morning when I was only served coffee for breakfast, I told them no thanks on the breakfast for the remaining two mornings.

The room was ok (what you would expect from a $12/night), but the airconditioning was not so ok. Luckily I have a high tolerance for heat so it didn't bother me too much. There was no water pressure in the shower.

When it came to checkout, I had to fight w the girl who tried to charge me $15 for all three nights. She relented to charging me $13 for the two nights when I didn't eat breakfast. I felt a bit of sympathy for the establishment; afterall, what's $2 to me when it obviously means so much to the Vietnamese? Had I read the previous reviews, I would have fought her for the extra $2 she ripped off me, though.

I am really disappointed w my experience here and also w Rough Guide for recommending this place.

Your money's better spent on honest Vietnamese who work hard for your money! Don't stay here!!!!

P.S. Don't book air or train tkts from them; you can find them much cheaper shopping around. Sinh Cafe down the street offered honest prices for all 3 types of transport (I shopped around and they offered consistent prices to what I was quoted from other travel agencies and Vietnam Airlines).

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff, dirty/run down bathroom
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Xiamen, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

Upon arrival, we were shown a front room with a balcony and three windows facing outside, but we thought the price was too high. So, for 250,000 dong a night (for the two of us), the manager (?) offered us a neighbouring room with a window looking into the hallway, opposite another window looking into a window well. We said we'd like the front room if the price was lower, but the manager was adamant. We were just about to consider going elsewhere when suddenly the price for the better room came down to the same as for the lousy room. So we stayed for two nights, and there were no problems with the room, but we had had to haggle for it. The man there was out for every dong he could get.

The day we left Huế, our train was leaving in the afternoon. My friend and I left our luggage with the hotel and then when we came back for it, the man there (a different one) very curteously summoned a taxi for us to take us to Huế station. He then told us "You can give the taxi fare to me. It's all right." It was pretty artless of him, but extremely dishonest nonetheless.

My friend then gave him a lecture about this and how this kind of thing will hurt Vietnam's tourism industry and so forth, but I don't imagine that it sank in.

So, you have the hassle of having to haggle for your room at the Thái Bình I, and the staff will try to rip you off if you are not alert at all times. Otherwise, it's not a bad place!

• Liked — Good room
  • Disliked — people trying to rip us off
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

We booked the Thai Binh 1 hotel by phone, but were taken - unasked - by the hotel's pick up guy to the more expensive Thai Binh 2 hotel (he came to pick us up from the bus station).
Our room was clean and the view over the city was great. Other than that, staff were rude and very pushy about booking tours. The food (1 lunch and 2 breakfasts) were without any taste whatsoever and served in a very sloppy manner (no plates, no paper napkins, you had to ask for sugar etc.). At $30 a night for a triple room (breakfast not included), we received much, much better service at other hotels in Vietnam.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northants, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

We were approached by a PR guy at the train station before we boarded offering us good cheap accommodation in Hue. When we arrived in Hue, we were picked up by minibus and driven to the Thai Binh 1 Hotel. At first, everything seemed ok but we woke to find ants crawling all over our bedside table and up the walls. Some of them were our beds as well. We had to stay there for a further 4 nights owing to the Typhoon cutting off transport links and it was kind of hard walking down the street knee deep in water; so we stayed put. Unfortunately though, power was intermittent - the TV and lights would go off for hours, only to come back on again at 3am waking us both up. There was no water one day so we couldn't use the loo or shower. When the power was off, the generator kicked in which was sited right outside our room. We couldn't hear ourselves speak over the noise of it.

We were sold the hotel on the basis that it had free internet; which was hardly ever working, and when it was it was painfully slow so we gave up and used the net cafe down the road instead.

Despite all the above, due to the Typhoon we felt kinda sorry for the Vietnamese people and didn't complain. But we drew the line at being stolen from. My friend made the classic error of leaving cash in her room one day when we took a day trip and came back to find it missing from inside her rucksack.

We went down to reception and complained. The guy either didn't understand or wasn't in charge, so brought along another guy to listen to our problem. Both of them stood there listening, but funnily enough their previous perfectly good broken English failed them and they couldn't make head or tail of what we were saying. After several minutes of head shaking, confused looks and shrugged shoulders they told us they were "too busy" to help us. As soon as we walked out they resumed their positions on the sofa watching football.

We checked out the next day and complained again but our words fell on deaf ears and instead of apologising or offering some sympathy, they offered to call the Police instead. We paid the hotel bill and left.

• Liked — Cost. It was cheap to stay there and when the TV was working we caught up on news.
  • Disliked — The ants! The power failures. The noisy generator.
  • Tips/Secrets — Yeah - don't stay here. Stay at the place down the road who had no problem with power.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Nhat Le Hotel? Share your experiences!