“Art Deco in Hue” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 112 Hotels in Hue
London, United Kingdom
“Art Deco in Hue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is truly stunning, the original residence for the French Govenor. The building is an amazing sight and maintained true to its original style. The interior follows the art deco theme which I personally found a little dour and austere, reminded me too much of an old hospital. The plum red bar area was heavy in style and overimposing.
The staff were super efficient and extremely courteous and helpful, we were upgraded to a suite which was very nice, but again too old fashioned for us, with a colour scheme of brown and yellow, and lots of heavy dark wood! The bathroom was very small and could only accomodate one person at a time.
The pool is georgeous and the gardens lovely. The pool lunch menu was very good. We also had a very enjoyable and reasonably priced massage in the spa.
We didn't dine in the restaurant primarily because it appeared to lack a cosy intimacy, it's very spacious and brightly lit, with formally laid tables, although you can dine in the garden.
I must give a mention to the excellent taxi service in Hue, efficient, clean, cheap and professionally run, most with an understanding of English.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LaResidenceManager, Manager at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Finechoice,
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your opinion and sharing with us your comments pertaining to your recent visit to La Residence Hotel & Spa.
The entire team are extremely motivated to read what you have enjoyed very much your time with us and your outlined including: the “stunning” hotel building, Art Deco style, the “efficient staff”, “good lunch menu”, great Spa treatment with “reasonable price”.
Once again, many thanks for choosing La Residence for your recent stay. We look forward to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Acting General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed in La Residence for 3 nights on our recent trip to Vietnam. In short the hotel is beautiful, the pool area and pool are fantastic and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Great views over the perfume river and easy access into the rest of town. You will not be disappointed if you stay here.

My only disappointment was that I did not buy more in the gift shop, the quality and the individuality of the merchanise is great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LaResidenceManager, Manager at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear LauraT,
The entire team here at La Residence Hotel & Spa is very happy to receive your positive feedback via Trip Advisor. We are inspired to see you have really enjoyed staying at our “beautiful hotel” and have outlined your favorite areas, in particular the “fantastic” swimming pool, “friendly & helpful staff”, nice view and convenience location. Also, we are thrilled to see that our Boutique really make a good impression to you with its unique, great quality & individual design.
Once again, please accept our sincere gratitude for choosing La Residence Hotel & Spa during your vacation & for recommending to our future guests.
We hope to have an opportunity to serve you/your family again soon.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Arriving at the front gate should have been enough warning as to what was to come at this magnificent Hotel/Spa. The architecture oozed french/colonial right from the start as you drove through the gates. Originally built in 1920 with extensions later on that strictly adherred to the original building,absolutely fabulous,but wait there is more,the welcome,check in and the staff as we arrived a bit hot and thirsty after 3 hours from Da Nang was more than we expected...thank you to all the smiles,drinks from the staff. The room was large with one of the most comfortable beds the I have slept in,bathrooom was a good size with a great shower. Gardens superb with one of the largest herb/vegetable gardens I have seen in a Hotel. Good sign as we ate several times "in-house" and weren't disappointed. Pool was well set out and slightly warm which also eased the aches and pains. Used the spa several times,at my age it is a must,the massages were gentle and very relaxing. My thanks go to all the staff at this Hotel/resort,they are a credit to their profession. We will be back.

Room Tip: No need to pick and choose,seems to me that all rooms were equally good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
LaResidenceManager, Manager at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Grumpytraveller_13,

First of all, please allow us to thank you for choosing La Residence Hotel & Spa as your accommodation whilst in Hue; It is rewarding for us to receive the great feedback within your review.

The entire team will be extremely motivated to read that you have been more than satisfied with the overall experience of the hotel and have taken time to outline positive compliments such as the “French Colonial architecture”, the check in efficiency, comfortable room, great garden, good restaurant, nice pool, “very relaxing” Spa. At the same time, the staff is very pleased to see the compliments you have written to them by your kind words: “smiles”, “professional”, hotel’s key power.

All your comments go a long way to provide honest insight into our hotel experience for all our future guests when they are researching places to stay in Hue.

Finally, we hope that the first impression on arrival as well as during your stay will inspirit you return to La Residence Hotel & Spa soon. Please let us know if you plan to do so.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Along the corridors, the walls are decorated with framed black and white photos taken in france and vietnam, pretty stuff from the old days. There are nice common areas on the ground floor. A great looking bar, though empty. A room with a beautiful pool table. (Just around the corner from there is a tiny bathroom, not at all in line with the hotel. Though i dont spend my time in the common bathrooms of hotels, or try to seek them out, it was the only one to be found on the ground floor, and you'd expect something more extravagant, french hotel colonial style - this was more like a rest stop facility.) The deluxe room overlooking the perfume river was really nice. A bit small, but stylish and modern with a comfy bed and an excellent veranda. My wife had a spa treatment and she was delighted, and she's not easy to please on that side. The pool was really nice, but I'm not sure what was going on with the water. It was a bit murky, like if they took it from the river below, and there were some bugs swimming in it. This might be a familiar thing in Vietnam though, since I saw a fat toad swimming cheerfully in a large, very clean pool in Saigon. The restaurant had a nice setting, especially the outdoor area. But the food, oh my good... The first night we had the Rossini. Now, my apologies, but I mixed up where I had this Rossini and wrote in another tripadvisor review I had it in Trois Gourmands in Saigon, but it was actually here in Hue I had it. But that doesn't really makes a difference for that other review i wrote, because I had something just as bad there, their slow cooked oxe cheek, and that one, was a waste of time for the chef to prepare. Anyway, back to the Rossini, second grade meat and second grade goose liver. Or just passed best before date, who knows? I heard something about a German(!) chef running the kitchen - maybe he knows something about it. The second night we started out with carpaccio. The meat was fine but it was so much oil over it. I had the sea bass for main, among the most awful things I ever tasted. I couldn't eat it. My wife had some strange object for main that I can't even recall the name of. Or wouldn't recommend to order. The waitresses did a good job, apart from that they neglected my feedback to their question if I liked the food, with just a smile. You could tell they didn't wanted to hear me evolve on the subject. For breakfast they make out a big buffet which looks really nice. Unfortunately I have to say the items were so so. Like the poached eggs for instance, they were too well done. I can go on here, but it was also some nice things indeed. But no fresh orange juice, even though they charge you an additional 20 bucks on top of the room, per person for breakfast, hmmm...
I'm giving the place 4 stars despite my complains, because its a nice place with friendly staff, and we had a good time, albeit the semi lousy food.

Stayed April 2013
LaResidenceManager, Manager at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear “LMKS1”,
Our entire family of service professionals at La Residence Hotel & Spa would like to extend our sincerest appreciation for posting your details review on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled to read that you had a good time with us, you have enjoyed the “nice common areas” and the “pretty stuff from the old days” of the hotel and your wife was “delighted” with our Spa treatment. We also are really regret that you experience was not at the highest satisfaction, especially your experience at our restaurant. I myself and the FB team have discussed on the points that you have given to us and we take actions to ensure the food serving to guests to meet the expectation and requirement of all our guests; we also ensure that every feedback from guests to be valued as a great opportunity for us to improve our level of service standards, and the feedback to be well communicated to the management for a good handling of the situation. With regards to the hotel common bathroom on the ground floor, kindly be informed that we have 3 different bathroom areas, one by the Pool table, one infront of the main restaurant and one by the Art Gallery. Yet, the one by the Pool table is a bit tinny as it has been with the old colonial mansion, but the other two are much more with space and comfortable.
Once again, we thanks for staying with us, it was a real pleasure to have been able to have you and your family to share in experiencing all the wonderful sights and sounds that this majestic city of Hue has to offer. Our team members will be happy to read that you found the staff here are nice and friendly.
We look forward to welcoming you again in Hue, and do let us know if you have friends or family members who plan to visit Hue,
Thank you again.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa is truly a world class hotel. First, it is very conveniently located with a commanding view of the Perfume River of Hue. Second, its architecture is full of history and timelessly beautiful. I particularly like the fact that the hotel is not a high rise building. My room was large, clean and tastefully decorated. Third, the hotel garden is very attractive and the facilities are excellent. I enjoyed swimming in the hotel’s large, deep and well maintained pool. Sadly, I did not have sufficient time to try their famous spa and massage services. Fourth, the food served at breakfast is both wide ranging and delicious. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the hotel staff are very professional and attentive. They are all polite yet friendly. In particular, I have found the reservation receptionist most efficient. I feel the hotel represents excellent value for money and would like to return in the future. I strongly recommend the hotel to visitors who wish to experience the best hotel in Hue.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the Perfume River
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Very stylish hotel by the riverbank surrounded by luscious gardens. Hotel is a very beautiful Art Deco building, restored to the highest extend. Very friendly and professional service, great breakfast with wide selection of tropical fruits. Amazing and very stylish swimming pool.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LaResidenceManager, Manager at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Bouji,
First of all, thank you very much for choosing La Residence Hotel & Spa for your recent stay and thanks for taking your time to post your nature feedback on the hotel experience.
We are particularly pleased to see how much you enjoyed your stay at La Residence in both hotel’s hardware by the beautiful hotel location, Art Deco building style and software by “friendly & professional service”, “great breakfast & amazing pool”.
Finally, we appreciated very much for your kind sharing the useful information above to our future guest on Trip Advisor and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome back you/your family in the future.
Godstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We loved this hotel with its beautiful art deco design, you feel like you have been transported back to the 20's or 30's. The staff are all very professional and friendly providing excellent service. The pool area was lovely, the spa looked good too but we didn't have time to visit the spa. The hotel is out of the town but we quite liked this as it was a little oasis to come back to, it will take you circa 20 minutes to walk into the town which we actually enjoyed doing (or you could get a taxi). It's situated on the river opposite the citadal, so a 20 minute walk in the other direction over the bridge will take you to one of the old town gates. We had breakfast on the restaurant terrace every morning and a lunchtime snack by the pool which we enjoyed. The Ho Chi Minh museum is right next door which is worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!