“Terrific budget hotel, but let's be realistic” 4 of 5 stars

HueNino Hotel
13/2 Lane 14 Nguyen Cong Tru, Hue 054, Vietnam   |
Ranked #4 of 109 hotels in Hue
Fresno, California
“Terrific budget hotel, but let's be realistic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Based on the many favorable reviews on TripAdvisor, we stayed at the Hue Nino on our recent visit to Hue. And we were happy with our selection. As many have said, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is a tremendous value.

But... let's get real, TA reviewers. When there is not enough room between the bed and the wall for two people to walk past one another... when the only furniture to sit on is a wooden bench with a very thin cushion... when someone who is size 38 touches the walls on both sides when trying to sit on the toilet... this is NOT a five-star room (and I think we were supposed to have a "superior" unit.) I am not complaining: the Hue Nino brought back fond memories of my travels as a starving student. After a little initial shock, my wife and I ENJOYED staying there. But we also know people who would KILL us if we recommended a place like the Hue Nino to them as having "five star" rooms. To most people, I think calling the rooms "average" would be generous. Granted that there is no accounting for taste, rating scales are supposed to mean SOMETHING. You can give the Hue Nino five stars for service and cleanliness, five stars for location (even though it is 100 yards down a narrow pedestrian walkway), or five stars for your subjective experience... you just can't give the rooms (or the 10 x 15 lobby which also doubles as a breakfast room and business center) five stars.

Again... we loved it, and the right kind of person will love it too. But stop the insanity.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

629 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Apia, Samoa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Hue Nino is a great little boutique hotel! Our room was full of interesting bits and pieces and felt really homely as well as being spotless. It didn't have loads of room but for the price it was an absolute bargain. On top of that the hotel staff are really friendly and helpful. We only stayed one night but would definitely recommend it to people visiting Hue! It's located right in the backpacker area and not too far from the old town and citadel - we rented bikes and cycled around from the hotel with no problems at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Silverthorne, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A charming retreat in the heart of Hue, down a quiet series of alleys with lanterns lighting the way.

Right on the the front steps of this small hotel, you find an array of guests' shoes, removed before entry into the small lobby/dining area/reception/funky art gallery. The owner Mr. Trang designs interesting pieces with paint and dolls. The hotel definitely has some green goings on, with repurposed plastic bottles and string turned into flip flops, resting right alongside the guest shoes along the hotel's front steps.

Staff member MyMy and Mr. Trang welcome guests heartily and sincerely. For a small, budget hotel (my room was $14) you receive 4 star treatment. MyMy curbs thirst and weary travelers with a fresh mango smoothie upon arrival, while Mr Trang takes your luggage up the narrow staircase to your room. The entry area houses a couple of computers for guest use, three tables for dining and lounging and the registration and travel desk. And bookshelves filled with books and curios.

My room was a small single without window; staff apologized for not having a windowed room available. This was completely surprising because no apologies were necessary and certainly no complaints on my end. It simply goes to show how customer service minded they are at Huenino - they anticipate guest needs and most guest love a view... of something.

Although small, the lovely touches within the room made it seem homey; traditional Vietnamese woodwork from bed frame to cabinetry, and colorful local and modern art on the walls add a nice balance to the sense of history with the traditional woodwork. Other small touches include the thoughtfully provided Chinese box filled with desk items like scissors, thread, glue and pens. Just in case you were to stay and write, or perhaps scrapbook for a while.

The bathroom was surprisingly large, with a sizable and impeccably clean tub and fluffy soft towels. Water leaked from under the basin, which flows to a drain at the back of the bathroom. I didn't have time to ask about conservation methods. Bath soap, shampoo, cotton buds and more are provided in-room to guests. Books on the shelves are available for your reading pleasure. Lamp and coat rack help you feel like you've been thrown back in time, and plasma tv on the wall simply adds to the wonder of being in the ancient city of Hue in modern times.

Breakfast was simple - options of either bread and fruit or Vietnamese noodles. Staff was quick to respond to my inquiry as to whether or not they served eggs, and cooked one up to go alongside toast. I sat at one of the few tables below the staircase, which is lined with doll heads crafted into art by Mr. Trang. If you're not keen on dollheads art, I recommend sitting over by the computers. Would have loved to stay another day, but had booked a hotel room elsewhere . Without even asking - and so generous! - HueNino discounted the price of my room by $2 because they didn't have a different room available. I was very happy with my room, perfectly comfortable there, as I am sure other travelers have been and will continue to be.

Huenino's customer service is fabulous, room furnishings are beautiful and their creative anticipation of guest needs is second to none.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

MyMy, Kim and Trang...I will never forget the service at HueNino Hotel.
I just returned from my 17 day travels in Vietnam (Hanoi to Saigon) and my favourite stop was the three (3) days in Hue and my stay at the HueNino Hotel.
My room was perfect and I got everything that I expected (I'm older in age and expect a clean room, clean sheets, hot water and a temperature controlled room).
Wonderful! Wonderful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in a superior double room which small, clean and with a comfortable bed. The stand out staying here is definitely the service. The staff are very helpful with tours, suggestions and directions. On arrival on our 1st night and then at the end of each day, we were greeted with a warm hello and a lovely drink and cake. The breakfasts were good. We used the bikes from the hotel a couple of days to get around, please note they do charge you a small amount but they are still worth it to get around if you don't want to pay for taxis etc. Due to the small size and design of the bathroom, every time you had a shower, the majority of the bathroom was drenched. Overall we would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrow, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place was great! From the moment I pulled up, the staff took care of everything for me, and did it with genuine smiles. It is a smaller, budget hotel with a very unique, artsy style to it. The room that I had was the cheapest room in the place (I booked my room with very little notice, so it was the only room available). The room was very clean though, and well decorated, and the bathroom was great...also clean and though a bit of a tight fit, well designed to make it comfortable none the less. The room was definitely small, but that was completely made up for by the HUGE heart of this hotel and it's staff (and remember that I did have the cheapest room available). These people were ridiculously kind and helpful. By far, the nicest and most attentive hotel staff I have ever come across. Hue Nino puts guests above all else. Pretty much every hotel seems to take advantage of guests' needs in order to make an extra dollar or two, but not this place. From the cheap minibar to the check out in which they exchanged my small water bottle with a large one for free and without me asking for it, and giving me a little bit of extra change rather than troubling me to look for smaller bills in my pocket. I was just amazed at how great these people were to the guests. So you know that this care they put into taking care of their guests shows in every aspect of your stay there, including a fantastic free breakfast (which they even made for me after breakfast time was over since I'm a bit of a late sleeper), the cleanliness of the place, making sure guests are comfortable and taken care of, etc, etc, etc. I highly recommend this place, and when I go back to Hue, I will stay here again without a doubt, and stay longer next time. Hue itself is an amazing city to visit, and staying at Hue Nino is the perfect compliment to making this stop in your Vietnam trip one of the highlights. Respect!

Room Tip: If you want more space, spend a couple of extra dollars per night, and try to book early to avoid ge...