“Positive experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kangaroo Hue - Cooking Class and Daily Tours

Kangaroo Hue - Cooking Class and Daily Tours
11 Pham Ngu LaoStreet | Kangaroo Hue (formerly Missy Roo Bar - Restaurant), Hue, Vietnam
(+84-54) 383-1923
Website
Improve this listing
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Useful Information: Activities for young children
“Positive experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I were at our collection point just before 0800 and waited for about 15 minutes. We only had to walk 50 meters to the restaurant for the class and then sat around til 9am before going by cab to the market. The market was such a great experience that we went back the next day for a slower wander.

Although our lessons were seemingly rushed and we were at opposite ends of the table preparing different steps for the same dish at times and switching to other dishes at other times there was a method in the teacher's instructions. It was very fast paced and my friend and I were often looking over to see how each other was going and discussing the process along the way. We understood what was going on and I was pleased to learn how to prepare and cook a couple of my favourite dishes.

Even tho we could eat all we made that was impossible to do. Our lesson ended at about 1145am. I thought it was good value for USD$15 and you have to remember that it's not a lesson out of a TV show and the differences simply in communication. Well done Siep.

Melbourne, Australia
“Don't go out of your way for this”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I had heard much about the wonderful food in Hue, but had difficulty locating a cooking class - we felt lucky to have found the Missy Roo Bar.

I attempted to book the class via their website however I did not receive anything from Missy Roo confirming our booking ,despite me requesting confirmation via email in my booking form. Our hotel contacted them the day before on our behalf to confirm our booking and was told that we had been booked in and that they would pick us up from the hotel at 8 am.

At 8:15 am we were still waiting at the hotel, prompting the receptionist to contact them - she was told that they would be there shortly. At 8:25 am we were still waiting and the receptionist contacted them again, telling them that we'd cancel our booking. Within a few minutes a girl on a scooter arrived, then booked us a taxi to take us to the restaurant.

They told us that the delay was because they were uncertain which hotel we were staying at, as I did not include it on the initial booking request (which is correct - it was not requested on the form), however they did not attempt to contact me using the information I'd supplied, did not ask the hotel when they confirmed our booking and pick up details and did not confirm them until the phone call at 8:25 am.

We had a quick coffee before heading to the market. At the market we bought some of the ingredients for the class (meat, noodles, peanuts etc) which was really interesting. However, this felt very rushed and our guide/instructor seemed more focussed on taking us to stores where we could purchase goods for ourselves (snacks, clothes etc).

Once back at the restaurant we started the class, which consisted of Hue pancakes, fresh spring rolls, fried spring rolls, beef and rice noodle soup and some dipping sauces. The class felt thrown together and while the food turned out OK, I'm not confident that we'd be able to recreate the recipes at home. Explanations were often minimal and she appeared more interested in the final product than the journey (eg. when I had difficulty with a technique she took over the dish, rather than assisting me with where I was going wrong).

The class cost $15 US each and while you get to eat all of the food that you cook (which is a substantial amount), our intent was to learn how to cook some amazing food and this was not achieved.

Please note that the wait staff are very quick to refill your drinks, however this is not covered by the class fee.

Visited March 2012
Melbourne
4 attraction reviews
“It was ok”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Not the best or the worst cooking class I've ever done. The staff seemed uninterested and very little explanation or information on what we were doing was forthcoming. Not a wool lot of 'hands-on' cooking either (which is what I prefer). Plus, if you want to be able to replicate any of the recipes at home be prepared to write LOTS of notes.

Visited August 2011
Frederiksberg, Denmark
“Nice cooking class in Hue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

My girlfriend and I enjoyed a day of cooking with Mr Hung at the Missy Roe Restaurant in Hue.

The cooking class reminds us in many ways of a similar cooking class in Chiang Mai, however this time we were the only attending the class, which was perfect.

If you had enough of sightseeing, taking a cooking class is a perfect way to have a relaxing day!