“Tiny room, poor breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Madam Cuc 184
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   184 Cong Quynh, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #121 of 370 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Haifa, Israel
“Tiny room, poor breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Room 102 which we got after booking on the telephon was really small. It felt like a small prison cell witthout even a window! I have to admit the room was clean. The shower was good too. The breakfast wasnt a catastrophy but full of margerine... You can defenetly find better places in 15 usd. Maybe try to remove the breakfast for a discount that will make this a good deal.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel is nothing to look at but the beautiful, friendly staff are what make this place a joy to stay at. The rooms are basic but clean. Depending on what room you stay in, one things is for sure - there will lots of stairs to climb. The staff are what set this place apart from others.Just ask them and they can help with anything for you. It is more like staying with a family as they take a genuine interest in what you are up to and how they can best meet your needs. There is always a radiant smile to greet you when you seek refuge from the summer heat. Give it a go and you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Try and get a room near the bottom floors - don't opt for one "with views" as it isn...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

The staff at 184 made our stay very enjoyable and were very reliable, friendly and very helpful. A great way to start our trip in Vietnam.

The only reason I haven't given the extra star is the lack of a lift which would make things difficult if your knees weren't up to it. Having said that I am sure that they would do their best to accommodate you on a lower floor.

The hotel is off the street a little which may be an advantage over 127, but I haven't tested that.

The breakfast was good also.

Stayed April 2012
Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I booked this by email on the madam cuc website for madam cuc 127, emailed them with the specific details of what we wanted from the website and they emailed back swiftly to confirm and ask about our arrival, they advised that if we wanted a pick up it was $13 per person each way in a taxi, but our bus stop was literally a 5 minute walk away so would have been a total rip off, however they did email us and say we should walk there to save money when they knew our drop off location.
We arrived at 127 and they didn't have us on the check in, tired and fed up, they advised us that we had to go across the road to 184 with little explanation as to why, which is not on the main street and down a tiny alley, I was not happy with this as I had requested 2 times by email for 127 as the reviews were a lot better, if I had known we wouldn't be staying there we would not have stayed with madam cuc.
We requested a double bed in the room, there were were 2 singles in the room we were given which was annoying, the bathroom was dated and the bath with shower was too low and there was a crack in the bottom of the bath, the TV was part of the promotion with 70 channels which was not true and also on the email they advised that it was $20 per night when we arrived they said $25. Breakfast and noodles for dinner was included in the price and also wifi. Breakfast was ok, wifi didnt work on our laptop at all to start, upstairs was completely useless never worked and the staff even admitted it did not work, and it took the receptionist 2 attempts to get it working in the lobby but that was the extent of it.
The staff were very friendly and helpful with directions to restaurants and laundrettes, very honest and we didnt have any problems with them at all. However we did cut our stay short by one night due to our dis-satisfaction.

Room Tip: Try and stay in 127, and make this as clear as possible as there is 127, 184 and 64 they own, howeve...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

The women running this place and their counterparts are super friendly! We were welcomed so warmly. The place is very clean and they have free wifi. The breakfast is great they give you a baguete, butter and jam, an egg and there's bananas and coffee or tea all day. It's right next to the big backpacker hang out spots and walking distance to most major sights. Only draw back is all the stairs lol. We are 26 and 30 and would def stay again!

• Stayed March 2012
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

16 dollars got us an aircon room, cable tv, lunch and dinner included. tea and coffee all day and a very helpful friendly staff. they even take your bags up on a winch.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

For my first solo tour of an "undeveloped" country in over 4 years, I really put my faith in word of mouth and tripadvisor. Madame Cuc was the name that kept popping up for a comfy, clean place to stay. And I was not disappointed. I arranged the booking via email direct with the hotel from the UK and was surprised to receive a speedy response confirming my room and assuring me that I would be picked up at the airport. I usually like to travel by local transport upon arriving in a new country but given my anxieties after not having travelled in a while, I agreed that I would pay the $12 and just go with it.
My taxi driver was waiting for me with my name on a board and the car was roomy and clean. The traffic was the only thing that unnerved me and continues to do so 3 days in! Arrived safely and was greeted at the end of the alley (MC 184 is just a short way down an alley off the main road) by one of the girls. my backpack was hoisted upstairs. I kept assuring the girls I would be OK - until I realised my room was on the 6th floor!! Not a sticking point for me but do take into account that you may end up with a room very high up and there is no lift so do reiterate any mobility issues if you want to stay here. Free breakfast and free dinner and friendly staff (and a cute doggy). They also arrange trips and stuff from here. All good. Bear in mind, the door gets locked at night but there is a bell. I did walk back at around 1am on my first night and the area was considerably quieter even though the hotel is just round the corner from the bars of Bui Vien. Room and bed comfy, basic but clean and thats all you need really if you're backpacking and not spending a lot of time indoors. All good, would definitely recommend without hesitation but reconsider location if you dont want to be in backpacker world - the issues surrounding the crazy motorbikes can slow your walking time down - and if meeting lots of other young crazy things is your priority you may want to find a place with a shared dorm.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a lower floor if you're lazy and see if you can get one facing the front of hotel...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Madam Cuc 184? Share your experiences!