“Building site and windowless room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Orient Hotel

Orient Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ho Chi Minh City
Orient Hotel
You added Orient Hotel to your Saves list
261 Hoang Van Thu Street, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #256 of 371 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
London, United Kingdom
“Building site and windowless room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

We chose this hotel as in LP's SE Asia on a shoestring guide. They wanted to charge us $20, though we got it down to $17.
We were given key to room, only to find that room was not ready. Sheets dirty and used bottles of water on the side.
We waited for room to be cleaned. I was felling bit rough, so wanted to sleep. Turned out every other room on our floor was being gutted with drills and hammers. It was soooo loud. And dust everywhere.
Breakfast was poor. So checked out as soon as possible.
Staff were friendly enough but they shouldnt be selling rooms if not fit for guests

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Booked this hotel months before, and reconfirmed 3 times. They did not have the correct rooms when we arrived. the rooms were musty and not nice at all. Having stayed in HCMC before these were very overpriced for what they were

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

We had booked a room for four people for 4 nights on the internet at USD 40/ night. We were offered a first floor room with two queen size beds - no soap in the bathroom and no toilet paper either. The room was tiny so we placed one of our bags on top of the closet - there was a huge cloud of dust accompanying it when we took it down a few hours later. Apparently dusting had not been done in our room for a long time. The room was really worn down.
We left our luggage and went out to see the city - when we arrived later in the afternoon we were met by a cockroach in the bathroom which was disgusting - and the drop that made us leave. We took our luggage and went down to the reception where we were offered another room but not the possibility of a refund. The staff was polite but not friendly - there wasn't any smiles on their faces at any time. We just left and decided to forget about the USD 40 we had paid for nothing. We found a brand new three star hotel at USD 60/night for the four of us to replace Orient - only 10 minutes away. We ended up spending 4 super nights there (Blue Diamond).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

US$25 per night including breakfast for a room with a window. Make sure you ask for a quiet room at the back of the Hotel as the traffic starts at about 3am. Walk to Ben thanh markets, Museum and coffe shops for time out. Nothing flash but well worth the money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

I stayed at the Orient for 2 nights. I paid $25USD for a room with a private bath. The room is basic, no frills, but it was clean and the shower was hot. The location is right in the heart of the Pham Ngu Lau area. Centrally loacated near plenty of tour operators, cafes, bars, restaurants and a 5 minute walk to the Ben Thanh Market. The staff was very friendly. My only problem at this hotel was with the transportation to the airport. I had to leave around 4am for the airport and the front desk receptionist told me she would arrange a car for me to the airport for $8USD because it might not be safe for me as a single woman to hail a taxi myself at that hour of the morning (fyi - metered rate is probably about $5USD). She told me my car would be ready at 4am, so I went outside to wait but no taxi arrived. I went back inside to wake up the sleeping night staff and the guy comes out and hails me a taxi.....the same type of taxi his colleague told me would not be safe for me to hire. But in the end I arrived at the airport safely.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

A great value for money hotel in a fantastic location right in the heart of the backpacker area. The rooms are basic but very clean but at about $20 USD per night, greats ized rooms with everything you need.
Can be a bit noisy at times but you step out your door and everyhing you need is at your fingertips

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

A group of us stayed at this hotel for a month. It was basic but clean with air conditioning and hot showers. The staff at the front desk were extremely nice and helpful. I left my laptop, cash, and passport in their care when I left to go traveling over the weekends and everything stayed safe. Overall I would recommend as a great place for budget travel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Orient Hotel? Share your experiences!