Firstly, I think the earlier review by member 'dirtmay' is a bit over the top.
There is an accusation made that there was theft by staff. While I recently stayed there, my locked door was opened while I was inside. A person used a card to jemmy the door latch, and that was not a staff member but another guest (from U.K.) at the hotel. The confrontation resulted in the guy getting booted out.
All hotels in Asia advise valuable items should be kept in their secure safes.
With so much poverty in Vietnam, desperate people will steal. While I am not forgiving them, travelers must take extra precautions.
In all of Vietnam, the people do not want to involve police. Many of the police in HCMC are very corrupt. When I was assaulted by a fellow traveler, Police wanted me to pay them to make a report, but said they would do no more than that. They also said they would go to the bar where I was assaulted and would have them pay money to police for allowing me to be assaulted.,
Vietnam is a different country and as such, different circumstances prevail, not just at Giant Dragon Hotel, but throughout Vietnam.
As an earlier review by 'myvietnamid' said, staying at Giant Dragon is like staying with family. It's 2 star, clean, tidy and the staff are fantastic. I paid $15 a night for the room, but that was increased to $18 a night after a new elevator was installed. Had no problems with internet from the hotel, but the ISP themselves were trouble. Internet and cell phones are unreliable all over Vietnam.
The country of Vietnam is regarded as the poorest across Asia, so do not expect the best all the time.
I can honestly say that I have stayed in many hotels across Vietnam after visiting regularly for past 3 years, and I always return to Giant Dragon Hotel when in HCMC. I have stayed in 3 and 4 star hotels that offered worse service than Giant Dragon.
I have left a small quantity of cash on the bedside table which was not touched by staff. (I do that deliberately as an integrity test) However, that same 2 or 3 dollars has disappeared at 3 and 4 star hotels elsewhere.
* Helpful, friendly and honest staff
* Budget Price
* Clean and tidy
* Quiet considering near main street and rooms at other hotels not as quiet.
* Maintenance issues were repaired immediately. (leaking toilet)
* Dollar or two more than other nearby hotels of similar quality
* Electricity and internet frequently dropping out (once or twice a day for a few minutes, but not fault of the hotel)
* Only higher priced premium rooms have windows (but they suffer from street noise)
* New elevator installed while I was there was frequently down for maintenance.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, HostelWorld and Venere so you can book your Dragon Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Giant Dragon
- Giant Dragon Hotel