“the hidden gem...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramana Hotel Saigon

Save Saved
You added Ramana Hotel Saigon to your Saves list
Ramana Hotel Saigon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   323 Le Van Sy St., District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #159 of 347 hotels in Ho Chi Minh City

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

The hotel is fine, room and breakfast were good. The facade was under wraps so I couldn't see it. The location is lousy: on a very busy intersection far from the city centre and inconvenient if you want to be near downtown: it can easily take a half hour with average traffic. I had a local businessman visiting me and when he got to reception shortly after my check-in at 7:30 pm they told him that he had to be out of my room by 8:00 pm! I find this totally unacceptable. So don't book this hotel if you want to be near city centre or if you plan to have anybody visit you in your room, regardless of gender or appearance!

• Liked — good room and breakfast
  • Disliked — location and prohibition of visitors
  • Stayed November 2008
Hayward, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

I stayed at this hotel when it was still the Amara, so my impression could be outdated since it's been at least 2 years since my stay. I had booked on asia-hotels.com and received a decent rate. As others have mentioned, the front and entrance to the hotel looks awful, and I remember my Uncle was traveling there at the same time and took me and my husband to the hotel and he was totally freaking out and wanted to get us rooms where they were staying at the New World. Now, I had already booked, and we haven't even seen the rooms yet so I didn't want to jump to any conclusions, and I'm still glad to this day that we didn't leave. Our room was fine! Nice city view of the crazy un-ending stream of pedestrians and mopeds. Huge King bed and super comfortable, with clean linens and pillows. Large room layout, nice-sized TV, with a large comfortable American style bathroom. I was just coming from Japan so this was a big relief. Breakfast was included with our room rate, and the choices were unbelievable. I really enjoyed my meals here, and for whatever reason they made excellent steak sandwiches via room service. I think my husband had at least three of them during our stay! The only sketchy thing we noticed was one time, at breakfast, a Japanese businessman was hanging around with much younger Vietnamese women, and I am only assuming it was for unsavory reasons. Other than that, my husband and I weren't harassed or anything. They pretty much left us alone except for when we needed something. The gym is small, and pretty useless but not bad if you wanted to just do a little cardio. The rooftop pool was nice, small but well maintained. I would probably not stay here again, but if you've booked I would give this place a chance. When we visited the New World Hotel to see my Uncle and Aunt, we weren't impressed and were glad we stayed at the Amara. The only thing we liked at the New World were the tennis courts.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The front entrance/walkway
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

27 Sep 2008, 8.30am (Vietnam time)

I am not sure how Amara was run previously.

But I understand that the owner has changed hands since May 2008. It is now called Ramana. Certain renovations had been done. The new management has certainly "cleaned up" the sleazy acts observed by travellers in earlier reviews.

Step into Ramana Hotel today, and it is a clean, neat, proper, and pro-business place.

No doubt the physical surrounding is not as posh as Duxton, which is in the heart of HCMC (District 1), it is definitely a worthy hotel.

Having stayed in Duxton Hotel (Saigon) for the past few months (each time for a couple of days) on business trip, the comparison with Ramana fHotel rom a business person's angle is inevitable.

The new Ramana is competitive in terms of value for money, 1-to-1 comparison with Duxton, maybe more depending on how you negotiate with the hotel. One great plus is its nearness to the airport, free WIFI at the lobby area.

I write this review so that travellers looking at past reviews of this hotel would know the actual situation and that the hotel has turned around with the new management since May 08, and changes effected in June/July 2008 (which is very recent).

I have just made the switch from Duxton to Ramana, and so far my experience has been delightful. Room service level no difference from Duxton. Very pro-business place.

Mind you, I am just a business traveller and not an employee of this hotel, nor have any stake in this hotel. Just want to spend a little time this morning (feeling fresh with great anticipation to explore the surrounding places near to this hotel) to write this review to set the record straight, and do this refurbished hotel justice.

- from a frequent business traveller to Vietnam (from Singapore)

• Liked — Nearness to airport, value for money.
  • Disliked — Neutral
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ocean Grove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

Lovely hotel, which offers a bit of a break from the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh City. Our room was large and clean, and we were really pleased to glimpse a western bathroom - separate shower and bath, yay!

Because the hotel is geared towards business people, internet was really quick and the business centre was of a good standard. There is also free wi-fi in the downstairs lobby.

Small but well equipped gym, which was appreciated by us as we had been craving a bit of exercise. The pool is small but lovely and we spent quite a few hours swimming and laying poolside reading.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Holland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2007

During our 6 weeks journey through Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand, my wife and I stayed for 3 nights in Amara Hotel. From all the hotels, I would say this one was average, which means it was pretty good !

Location is not great, but within 10 minutes you are in downtown HCMC, taxi's are very cheap as long as you use the meter !

The room is not too big, but it was clean and had a nice bathroom. The breakfast was great, lots of fresh breads and fruits.

• Stayed April 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

Very tired and dull hotel. Many Asian hotels give great extra service on the club floor - Amara actually charges more and gives less than what regular guests receive (e.g. breakfast). In general, food was poor. Lousy location a long way from center of town.

Staff was disinterested and unmotivated. Asked for a late checkout and was told they would get back to me. They never did. And my biggest peeve, they accused my girlfriend of being a prostitute when we returned to the hotel one night. No apology. Nothing. Absolutely unforgiveable. One of the worst hotel experiences of my life. Stay anywhere but here.

• Liked — Nil
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ramana Hotel Saigon? Share your experiences!