“Convenient Location with Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bali Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added Bali Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Bali Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   82 Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City 70000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #95 of 644 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Convenient Location with Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent my 2012 Christmas in Ho Chi Minh City (Dec 21 - 24) at this hotel and I was greatly satisfied with the hotel location (in the heart of Bui Vien street) where you can find all the good restaurants, massage shops, and travel agencies along the street. The hotel was admittedly not a big one and was just one of the hundred hotels you can find on the street. However, I would like to highlight the excellent service by its staff (especially the sales manager). She responded to my email quickly prior to a few days before my arrival to make sure my room was reserved and provided me with some info for the Mekong River trip (1-day US$10) and Cu Cui tunnel trip (half-day US$6). I just paid the trips at the reception desk when arrived as these trips were organized every day. You may be surprised by how Vietnamese organize traveling trips as the agencies pick up people from different hotels and sometimes the bus was a bit crowded.

In terms of airport transportation, you can actually take bus 152 ($4000 VN dong / pax) and get off at De Tham station (the next station after passing through the biggest market in HCM city). The hotel is conveniently located and it will only take you 5-min walk from De Tham station to the hotel. Similarly you can also take a bus back to the airport. If you do not want too much trouble or are afraid of any scam in the city, you can contact Ms. Nguyen for an airport pick-up service which will cost you around US15-20 one-way.

In short, Bali Boutique Hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed in this 14-day trip across 2 countries / 3 cities. I highly recommend to people want:-
1) Convenient hotel location
2) Friendly staff (again I need to credit to)
3) Good restaurants and travel agencies around the hotel
4) Easy transportation to/from the airport
5) Reasonable room price 如果你是一位華人,又相信香港人的眼光,我絕對覺得這間酒店是超值

Sightseeing/Attractions Tip:
1) Get VN dong in the airport => It gives you a better FX rate
2) Massage costs only US$5-8 for 60-min. Worth to try
3) Different food (Vietnamese/Indian/Chinese/Italian etc) is served along the street.
4) If you do not carry too much luggage, taking a bus is a cheaper option and gives you a taste of local Vietnamese.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bunbury, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, the hotel is new, clean and in a good position in Bui Vien Street.
Some of the rooms are small and designed badly. But after hearing about this from other travelers we upgraded to their top room at $38 per night.
The biggest problem I had is that when another guest booked out a couple of days before me. They gave him my passport.
There is nothing that a hotel can do that is worse than this. You have to hand your passport in to them when you book in. And they have a responsibility to safeguard it until you leave. When I went to book out they gave me someone else's passport!! For this reason I cannot recommend this hotel and would never stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
South Yunderup, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Had been recommended to this hotel but was a little disappointed when it took the reception staff so long to find my booking although it had been done and confirmed a couple of months earlier. I was even more disappointed upon entering my room. The bed is located in an alcove in the room and is bound by 3 walls so you can only get out on one side. If there is two of you one will be climbing over the other during the night to get up to go to the toilet. The air conditioner is mounted on the wall at the furthest point from the bed thus rendering it ineffective in the main whilst sleeping.
The bathroom is tiny.
I was given the opportunity of seeing another room and it had an even tinier bathroom and the bed was only bound by walls on 2 sides but was still not good enough in my opinion.
Needless to say I checked out after just one night. I recommend you see the room, or any room in any hotel for that matter, before checking in.
On the positive side it is one of the cleanest hotels I have been in throughout my travels of Vietnam

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Bali Boutique Hotel is walking distance from the Ben Tanh Market and is situated in the middle of cafes, restaurants, bars and travel agencies, specifically the Singh Tourist (formerly Singh Cafe). The rooms are spacious and clean, the hotel personnel are nice and courteous, and the breakfast buffet spread is delicious. I highly recommend this hotel for budget conscious tourists.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Our first impression of Bali Boutique was quite good as all the staff on the ground floor were pleasant and smiley. We stayed there one night and for practical reasons (although rooms are very noisy due to proximity of obnoxious bars dedicated to tourists only) we asked to book another night one week later. Indeed we would be landing at 1am in Ho Chi Minh City and needed to have a room in a hotel that would accept booking so late at night. The staff told us this was no problem for them and simply asked us to pay in advance, which we did.
Eventually when we arrived in the middle of the night at Bali Boutique, exhausted by the long journey we had just lived, the young employee at the front desk told us our room had simply been given to other tourists ! Imagine yourself at 2 o'clock in the morning with your girlfriend, both very tired and carrying huge suitcases, in the middle of Ho Chi Minh City with nowhere to go. I must confess I got very mad at this point and asked (euphemism) to talk to the manager. I first had to argue 15 minutes in order to do so. Eventually I spoke to the manager who gave me the wildest explanation ever (which I now find quite funny) : "I'm sorry sir but tonight is Valentine's day and we thought you had gone to another hotel.". Right... Yeah, I usually like to book 2 different hotels on Valentine's Day, you never know, in case I just randomly want to change bed in the middle of the night... Please ?
Anyways after arguing the hotel manager told me I would be reimbursed and another room would made available for us in another hotel. So we took our big suitcases and walked with the hotel employee to the other hotel where we were settled in an even noisier room which was twice smaller than the one originaly booked - but at that point I was in no mood to argue once again. Or so I thought...
When we came to the second hotel's front desk we learned that Bali Boutique had not paid for the room as the Manager had told me on the phone. (rage !) It is now 3 o'clock in the morning on one our last days of a long awaited vacation and I am walking back to Bali Boutique to get a final explanation. As the hotel employee sees me once again, I notice his facial expression change in despair and I start to realise that he is also suffering from that situation. We argue once again and the final blow came when this employee told me with a tremolo voice that he could not call the manager on the phone and that he would pay for my room with his own money ! Of course I declined but I realized under how much pressure he was at that point to offer something like that, especially knowing the price of the room in comparison to the average salary in Vietnam. So I left Bali Boutique feeling sorry for him and a little guilty for having pushed him this far.

In conclusion, I do not know if such overbooking practices are common in Vietnam, however I believe there is no justification to this sort of management. I strongly recommend that this hotel be avoided and wish I knew Vietnamese legislation to see what actions could be taken against such practices.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was at first a little skeptical about getting a hotel on bui ven st but to my surprise Bali Boutique was outstanding. I see reviews saying it was noisy, but take those comments with a grain of salt because your on a main tourist street that nearly never stops. The rooms were large, air-con cooled the entire room, flat screen TV and the amenities were clean.

The staff were friendly and went above and beyond the call of duty for patrons.

Room Tip: Depends, facing the street is a little noisier and vise versa.