“Avoid while major rennovations underway. No lobby, no lift, construction noise in the morning” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh

You added Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh to your Saves list
Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   136 Bui Thi Xuan Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #140 of 371 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It always annoys me when hotels give you no warning about major renovations that are under way At present the hotel looks nothing like the website photos. The "lobby" is a small table wedged near the stairs. There is no lift on the ground floor which means carrying bags up several flights of stairs to get the one lift that is working (sort of - it was out of service for two days when I was there). I'm sure that when full operational this is a hotel that provides good value - the rooms are clean and a junior suite was well under US$50 per night. The staff is nice and they speak English too. Not the best location but it is close the "backpacker district" a 5 minute walk. Bottom line I would avoid this hotel while the renovations are ongoing (betting it is 6 months to a year until finished). The morning construction noise was awful.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014

Maria Luisa and myself checked in at Empress Hotel last Sept. 20-22, from Bangkok,Thailand. Vietnam was our last destination before coming back to Manila, Philippines. The room was spacious, very clean, with a complimentary bottle of water....the complimentary breakfast was good, too. we opted the Saigon breakfast and Ms. Helen Nguyen was very warm with us..she was very energetic serving the hotel guests...one of the hotel staff even helped us buy Vietnamese fried noodles with beef and vegetables because we could not understand their language...he had even changed our US dollars to VN dong...we will definitely recommend Empress Hotel to our friends who would like to visit Vietnam especially if they are on a budget trip....Ban Tham Market is almost kilometer away and very near to a supermarket....

Room Tip: there is free wifi on the corridors/hallways but none inside the room. room 403 has larger view of t...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Ainslie ACT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

I used this hotel a few years ago and then it was just showing its age being decorated in a dark wood paneling style. The rooms were adequate and clean, had all the basic requirements for a great place to sleep and rest between shopping and touring. The rate AUD$35 included a basic breakfast of pastries, scrambled eggs, bacon, noodles, fruits, con-gee, coffee. tea juices cooked in small quantities so that it was always freshly presented.

I came back to this hotel last week as it was listed on a accommodation web site for a ridiculous AUD$25 with full breakfast and internet. We booked in for a nite just to try out.

IT WAS FANTASTIC.The place has had all the room renovated and they were the last stages of renovating the reception. The rooms are now in a lighter shades with cream and off whites. The bathroom is modern and plenty of free flowing hot and cold water. Air con is whisper quiet and pleasantly refreshing. Full range of toiltetries were provided, It may not have been name brand but everything was threre from dental kit, moisturiser, shampoos etc. Reception nist all spoke good English but had to be encouraged.

Breakfast is now on the second floor and you do not need to go outside to the the cafe. It is just as good and service was prompt and caring. Variety was the same but with the addition of cereals.

The beds were new and there were plenty of pillows and blankets. All very comfortable. Internet was fast with no drop out. Yes the rooms are not large but more than very adequate.

A great thing about the hotelsis its location as all around it if great food from street vendors selling all the vitnamese favouries of pho, coffee and breads with pate (ban mi) to air condition cafe ALSO SELLING THE VIETNAMESE FAVOURITES EXCEPT SEATING IN PROPER TABLES AND CHAIRS WITH TABLE SERVICE AND AT DOUBLE/TRIPLE THE PRICE OUT SIDE!!!

Around the corner maybe 5 minues walk are a couple of good large local supermarkets. I always do a wander arounf to compare how much more we pay in Austrlia. eg Sensodyne toothpaste double the size at half the price!!!!.Underarm deodorant at 75% off Ausssie prices. Also I get to see how the locals live, eat and induldge. I also get to buy local fruits in season and of course drinks at local prices. The better supermarket to visist is the CO-OP.

I would have stayed there the whole ten day we were there but the Vietnamese friends we were with the area was unsafe with bag snatching, pick pockets, women of the nite and booked us into the 5 starred WINSOR PLAZA HOTEL near Chinatown. I found it had all the same short commings (maybe not) of the locale around the Empress Hotel and the only difference was the room was 4 times larger, the windows had a good view over the cityscape and the bathroom had a bath tub (great for doing the laundry) and the decor all marble and crystal.

Reception spoke good English but tended to serve non Vietnamese guest far better. My wife an Aussie Vietnamese of 30 plus years was left waiting to be served by the hotel reception until I walked up beside her and was immediately served. WE JOKED, the reception probably thought that she may have been a lady of the nite accomapnying a guest!!! as we noted that there were quite a few elderly chinaman accompanied by much younger ladies....dressed very accomodatingly, ....mostly with fake luxury handbags and all hanging on to the elderly china man just abit too tightly. Maybe they were their nurse maids / carer!!!!! Benefit of doubt given.

If on a budget, wanting great service and facilities and only really rquire the room to rest and sleep EMPRESS is the pick for price, location, facilities and service.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The Hotel is nice and most of the staff is very friendly.
But not everything in the hotel describtion was promised.
We had only bad wifi nor no wifi.
The Air Condition was so noisy and at 7 in the morning building operations started. We talked to the manager and he said the workers will start at 9 next morning....but they started a 7 am again. Room was nice and comfortable. Breakfast was not the best and the waiter was kinda rude.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the air conditioning-Generator. If the Hotel is still under constucti...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I have to clarify but this is a very personal review. My situation is a bit complicated. I hold two passports, one of which is Vietnamese but I don't live there, therefore I do not have a local IC.

Booked the room for my boyfriend via Agoda under my name with the indication that he would be staying. Occupancy was meant for two (I beg to clarify, I booked for two. I was staying close-by with my parents but I booked for two anyway because we expected to spend some personal time together). But, big BUT. Hotel staff scrutinised whenever I visited, they asked for my IC, the front desk even phoned us at 11pm and said visiting hours was over. Excuse me, I booked this room, I paid for two! They were treating us like illegal hoarders. Fortunately it was only for two nights. Elegant hotel only a few meters away was no fuss, he came into my room and stayed there almost the whole day and no one asked anything, and vice versa when he stayed there the other time, silly us we just wanted to try something new and paid the price.

Never coming back there again, that was very rude and unreasonable.

Room Tip: Don't act local and try to speak Vietnamese, especially female Asian tourists, you may come unde...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is good for solo traveller who spends most of the time out of hotel. Nice room but not spacious enough. There is no view. Staff is very friendly and helpful. If they offer you a breakfast as a part of your room charge, dont depend on this breakfast a lot. They only have 2 juice, white bread and tea for breakfast. They can cook you some eggs and sausages however after being to many asian countries, this was very disappointing. they did make me noodles as per my requirement but that was thanks to the chef. Overall, value for money hotel. Not too bad for $50/nite.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night here,expecting a bit of luxury to what we have been staying in around Vietnam.Unfortunately our stay was very disappointing and feel slightly cheated.
I purposely booked this hotel as it advertises that it has a fitness centre.When we came to check in, it turns out there is not one,very very annoying. Our room was small and smelt musty but disappeared after the ac was on.The bathroom was the best bit, newish,clean with a good pressured shower. We couldn't get any signal for the wifi in our room, it was on the 3rd floor,right at the end,obviously the furthest away from the box,not very helpful when trying to send emails.
Breakfast was ok, there was not much choice and thought there should be a lot more on offer. Only orange juice for cold drinks,no cereal or yoghurt and not a wide variety on the western and Vietnamese hot foods.Some fresh fruits like watermelon and pineapple would have been good,only bananas and apples available.
All in all was really disappointed with the stay,for what you pay you can get much better elsewhere for less money.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh? Share your experiences!