“Do not stay here for now!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh

Save Saved
You added Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh to your Saves list
Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   136 Bui Thi Xuan Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #121 of 362 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Hk
“Do not stay here for now!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Their cute notice saying minor renovation work from 9-6 should read
Major renovation work including impact drilling and demolition starts at 8am and goes on incessantly til 8 pm.
Staff were helpful and considerate but even the top manager was powerless to stop them at 8am. Having got back from the clubs at 3am I was not amused. It also meant no sleeping in and no afternoon naps.
This was over 3 days

Otherwise nice hotel tho a bit overpriced. I saw similar hotels at 50% of the rate I was paying.

They should not be taking paying guests while this work is going on. So check.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CaryLeung, General Manager at Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Mr. Ferguson,

I'm terribly sorry for the noise that deprived you of rest and sleep during your recent stay with us and I thank you for understanding the difficulties in controlling the construction crew. I would like to point out though that we did inform all our partners in early September that we were under renovation. We shall follow up with the agent concerned.

If you are planning to visit HCM again in the future (hopefully after our renovation), please feel free to contact me direct so I can take care of all arrangements personally.

Empress Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I have been travelling south through Vietnam with ho chi Minh being the last stop on our road to Cambodia. This hotel got our hopes up when u get to the reception and see the lovely entrance and reception area as well as all the awards it has received from 2007 to 2009. Obviously that was when the hotel had seen better days. Once we got to our room we found it to be nothing special but that is not saying that they were bad then were simply average compared to what we were expecting. They are building extra rooms and there is a gym available as well. But the staff were brilliant and helped us to work the shower (tricky to do) and also booked us on a bus to Cambodia. I highly recommend booking the tour of the cuchi tunnels through them too or go straight to happy tours, they are cheap pick u up at ur hotel and five u a full tour and of the tunnels as well as explaining the ways of the Vietnamese people. Extremely worth while and "jerry" as he called himself was a spectacular tour guide!

• Stayed October 2012
CaryLeung, General Manager at Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

I'm sorry for the late reply but I was away on hoilday (a deserved one may I add). I hope you had a pleasant with us. However, I am sllghtly suprised to learn that you had difficulties with the shower mixer since this is the first comment I received during my eight months here at The Empress Hotel. So for the benefit of other guests, I would like to clarify that we have two type of mixers in our hotel. You had the round TOTO mixer. To operate, pull the lever up towards yourself to get water, turn right for cold water and turn left for hot water. Viola!!! Sorry there is no function for me to attached some photos.

For your information, some of our newly refurbished rooms will be back in operation later this month with an additional floor coming back before Christmas. I hope you like what you see and I look forward to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to our new facilities at The Empress Hotel HCM.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently went to HCM city on a solo trip and had a 3 day stay at Empress hotel IMS upon check in it was smooth and i had a small request to the reception desk staff to help me call a friend in HCM and talk to her that i have arrive,they did it with a great smile without hesistation. When i was about to go out on the street to walk around the security named" HERO" was so kind to advise me to take good care of my belonging as there are pickpockets around even when i came back to hotel after my short walk he escorted me to my room that's really a good security this hotel have i must say.As for the room, its not really big as i had superior room only but the view i had is opposite a school and i can see a cathedral so not that bad after all for a price of like $40 sing dollar a night. As for breakfast it was alright i had buffet the first day had some meat noodles quite plain taste to my liking second day had bacon and eggs.I gave the restaurant 2 waiters some tips after my meal they serve me well one of the guy name was "David".Overall it was a great stay at a 2 star hotel we can't expect more but good service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
CaryLeung, General Manager at Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Kelvin,

I'm glad to learn that you had a nice stay at Empress HCM and thank you for taking time to commend Hero and David which will be passed on to them. I'm sure this will encourage them and the rest of the team to continuously strive to serve our guests with a smile.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Rooms fairly standard (a little dated) but all with aircon, phone, fridge, flatscreen TV, bathroom, ample storage spaces and sofa/chair. Beds relatively comfortable.

Breakfast buffet is good - not a huge choice but ample to set you up for a days sightseeing

not that central for walking, but taxis are cheap.

hotel staff helpful - check in quick and easy. They dont speak a lot of English though so you might have to explain things a lot.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
CaryLeung, General Manager at Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Katie,

I'm glad to learn you had a pleasant stay with us. Your comments on the breakfast and the level of spoken English are noted and these are actually two of the areas that we would like to make improvements besides renovating our rooms. Unfortunately this will not be done overnight but as the saying goes, it will be done "slowly but surely".

Venice, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I originally booked this hotel because of my American Express points and really didn't expect a lot! And I was really quite happy with the outcome of my stay. I met the owner of the hotel and we had an amazing time at dinner. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. The staff is as great as she is, its like going on vacation and staying at one of your relatives home but without having to worry about feeling guilty that you are imposing on them.

David who served us breakfast the 7 days we were there was just one of the most polite people I met ... they accommodated every request with a smile. Tony the bellboy just took care of all our taxi needs and gave us directions to anywhere we wanted to go. Joselyn and Hoang the night servers also took care of us so well.

The hotel is located centrally and is about 1.50 - 2.00 dollars away from everything by taxi ... there is also an amazing pho restaurant around the corner that just serves amazing pho for 2 dollars ... and about a 10 minute or less walk is the best banh mi store where there is a line as soon as they open close to the hotel.

The rooms are always clean and they give you free drinking water everyday. Its a budget hotel so for the price of 22 dollars a night ... this place is a bargain!!!

I will only stay at this hotel when I visit HCM which will probably every other month!

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are actually for 3 people ... the extra room has an extra bed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CaryLeung, General Manager at Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful compliment. It's not everyday that guests will take time to commend on our staff by name. I will definitely pass it on to David, Tony, Joselyn and Hoang and I am sure they will find it most encouraging for them to continue to serve all our guests with the same smile and attitude.

Once again, thank you and I hope we will soon have the opportunity to welcoming you back to The Empress HCM.

Yours gratefully,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

nice rooms ,right for your budget. quite a walk from ben tanh market.good breakfast , polite staff,the doorman even speak fluent mandarin for chinese guests.although during our 2 night stay,there was some hammering on the floor above ours.over all,it's a good stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

I hope the hammering did not spoil your otherwise "good stay". Yes, we are in the process of renovating 3 rooms as mock-up rooms as we shall soon embark on a renovation programme whereby we shall have an additional 30 rooms to our current 40 rooms. To limit the disturbance, the contractors had been given strict instructions that noisy work could only be carried out from 9.00am-6.00pm daily and I believe they adhered to the schedule.

If you happen to return to HCM in the future, I hope we can have the opportunity to show you our new facilities. In the meantime, I remain,

quezon city, philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Quite far from Ben Tahn. Very good breakfast buffet! Clean, and ample room space. Nice small lobby. Very comfortable stay with basic amenities.

Room Tip: Hallways are narrow, honking is quite annoying from our room which faces the street.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
CaryLeung, General Manager at Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for the pleasant compliment and I hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Just to let you know, we shall be undergoing a renovation programme in the very near future whereby we shall have an additional 30 rooms and an extended open lobby area while maintaining a colonial theme with a cozy feel.
I hope we will have the opportunity to show you our new rooms should you plan to visit HCM again in the future. Once again, thank you and I remain,

Cary Leung

Been to Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh? Share your experiences!