“Not Really a Five Star Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rex Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rex Hotel to your Saves list
Rex Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   141 Nguyen Hue Blvd | District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #32 of 362 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not Really a Five Star Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel has a lot of things going for it including the location. We were in a rennovated room but it was still dark and dingy. The bathroom was nicely appointed but the water pressure and temperature in the shower were variable. We had the same experience as some of the other reviewers in being given wildly inaccurate directions and time to destination on restaurants. The drinks at the Rex bar were great. We had a breakfast buffet package...again, it wasn't horrible but not even close to the Softel we stayed in at Hanoi. It was the first hotel on our trip that didn't have soya milk or some other non dairy alternative. Laundry service was fast and efficient. We are fine on the whole water conservation thing and will happily reuse towels, etc., but requested some clean face clothes after two days and got the old, clearly soiled ones neatly folded up in the bathroom vanity. This wouldn't be my choice for a return visit hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Arrived to find we had been upgraded due to a mistake by the hotel. Had a lovely big suite around the inner courtyard so it was lovely and quiet. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable (expecially the beds) and clean. Sadly, as at lots of 5 star hotels the prices for drinks particularly were on the steep side but what can you say whenon the rooftop terrace bar - the home of the 5 o' clock follies?
Lovely breakfast included thought the coffee was not good.
Great spot and good location for getting around.

Room Tip: opt for courtyard room - no view but quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have just enjoyed a week at The Rex. It is a superb hotel. As soon as I set foot through the door I was struck by the calm, good taste, relaxing ambience, and friendliness and professionalism of the staff.
Our room, facing the inside courtyard, was spacious, quiet, comfortable and well-equipped. We enjoyed some of the best sleep ever on holiday, aided by the large comfortable beds and quality pillows.
The breakfast buffet is extensive and good quality (with plenty of choice for Europeans).
When I broke a suitcase lock the concierge staff were prompt and inventive in finding a solution.
I would find it hard to fault my stay at the Rex. If I travel to HCMC again I will certainly return there.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with windows facing into the courtyard
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Northern England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel is in the most perfect location in Saigon, and is convenient for most tourist sights and good restaurants. The entrance is impressive, and we expected something special at what has been regarded to a 5 star hotel. However, we were very underwhelmed with our junior suite - it was damp and dark - so dark we looked behind sliding doors expecting a balcony rather than a wardrobe! As we had three nights booked we asked to move the next day, and , after some deliberation we moved to another room, but whilst it's size was similar we had to pay a surcharge, as it was deemed a better room. It seems some rooms have been refurbished, and our new room was lovely - just a pity our original junior suite was so awful.
This hotel seemed stuck in time - it has a fabulous history to build on, but fails to attract a younger clientele. Drinks on the rooftop were in a marvellous setting, but with live singing belting out 'Dancing Queen' it really wasn't current, and couldn't rival some of the other places we found nearby.
The staff were helpful, but didn't seem to be able to offer a lot of flexibility.
Compared to other hotels we stayed in, it was a little disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first . But avoid 232!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I am currently staying in this hotel and booked based on all the reviews I had read but now I am here I think it is grossly over priced and full of toffee nosed people or older retirees! the bar is lovely but again overrated and over priced if you like to listen to music from the 1960s or to serenade you to sleep then this is the bar for you! And such a shame cause this bar could make a killing and cater to the needs of everyone rather than a certain type of clientele after all were in vietnam a true melting pot! I have stayed in many hotels over the years and would not rate this any better than the hotels you can pick up for $60 as oppose to the 150-200 you could pay staying here! yes the staff are lovely and so is the hotel but for the price and what else is around I won't be staying here again. For the business traveller or middle age and older perhaps is the perfect hotel! new wing is nicer than the old wing but don't be fooled by balcony that it is not!

Room Tip: make sure you try and stay in the new wing
Surbiton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I travel to Vietnam 4 to 5 times per year and stay at the Rex Hotel each time and my last trip was in October. The welcome I received from the staff made me feel very much at home and they were always smiling and friendly. The rooms are very comfortable, good television channels, nice walk in shower and a really comfy bed. The self service buffet is varied and tasty and the coffee, especially Vietnamese style will certainly get you ready for the day ahead. The guest relations team are great helping me with my business requirements and the location is top notch right in the centre of Saigon and a great new shopping centre has just opened opposite so great for shopping. You must try the roof top bar, an iconic part of the Saigon skyline and a great place to have an early evening meeting with a Saigon Beer. Overall, great value for money, looking forward to the next trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bentonville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

For context I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and by saying that you will know I have also stayed at some of the worst.

I am amazed that REX is listed at #47. I was at the property in October of 2012 for 4 nights on business.

I found the property to be excellent. The staff was wonderful. The breakfast had something for everyone and was excellent quality. And for all of this the price was cheap.

I cannot think of any better value I have ever had. Historic, classic, well appointed, great people. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a sidewalk right outside which you would want to avoid. Also, while a bit noisy, the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Rex Hotel? Share your experiences!