“A Classic in Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Majestic Saigon
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   01 Dong Khoi St, Dist 1, Ho Chi Minh City 8, Vietnam   |
Ranked #53 of 385 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Laguna Beach
“A Classic in Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

This is a beautiful old hotel overlooking the Saigon River. The hotel opened in 1925 so you can imagine the architecture. I picked this hotel based on reviews on TA and coming from a small boutique hotel in Hanoi city I wanted a hotel with few more services.

The first contrast that I noted between Hanoi and Saigon is that the weather is much warmer in Saigon ( locals call it Sai Gon ) but the air seem much cleaner. Also Saigon looks much more modern than Hanoi .. you can actually see many high rises in Saigon .. in fact next to the hotel there is a majestic 68 story building that is almost completed.

Also in Saigon everything is far more expensive .. my guess is that the food costs about double what Hanoi costs. I also found out that if you book the hotel through their own website the airport transportation ( $ 28 each way for a 7 km distance ) is complementary. Without traffic it is a 20 minute ride at the most. I got to the airport way too early based on the one hour that the hotel suggested!

The hotel provides a good breakfast buffet .., other than that I thought their food was over priced and not really good. The one dinner I had at the hotel I had to return the beef dish because it was too tough to chew .. something that I found with beef dishes in Hanoi as well!

The hotel had a beautiful pool in the courtyard and a spa with very reasonable massage ($40 for 90 minutes) and facials. If you are looking for "monkey business' massage this is not the place.

The location is great .. walking distance to all the stores and restaurants. BUT, the moment that you leave the hotel you are going to be hit by everyone wanting to give you a ride of some kind .. in the evening there are couple of "girlie clubs" very close to the hotel and they are try to sell you a different kind of a "ride" .. the hotel also has a casino which I did not visit.

The room is clean and large. With construction going on around you it is tough to have a quiet time in your room but the hotel apologizes for it in advance. My first day there I left the room at 10:00 a.m, and returned at 2:30 p.m. and the room was not made up. The second day it was much better.

All in all if I come back to Saigon I will probably stay here at the $ 150 rate .. the double what I paid in Hanoi. I did not use the mini bar, the room service nor the laundry because I felt it was too expensive. Also soda is $ 2.50 vs 80 cents that I paid in Hanoi and no Diet Coke!

Across the street is a small cafe where you can actually get Diet Pepsi ( the first place I found in Vietnam with Pepsi ) and you can sit and watch the people trying the cross the busy street in front and survive!

Right on the corner of the next street there is a good restaurant called Jaspar which I liked very much. Actually had tender beef .. apparently owned by Australians .. I am going to write a separate review on the restaurant.

Tip for the hotel? Have your breakfast there ( starts at 6:00 a.m. ) and eat somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Polish first
Leatherhead, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

My wife stayed here in September 2010 as the first stop in our Vietnamese honeymoon.

We stayed in a deluxe superior room, either room 223 or 233, which overlooked the main river. The double glazed door/windows meant that the noisy traffic could barely be heard.

The staff on arrival were extremeley welcoming, congratulating us on our marriage and personally showing us to the room. They were actually excited about what was awaiting us, which turned out to be swans made from towels and rose petals on the bed! What a lovely start.

The room was very spacious and comfortable, the bed was almost as good as the one we have at home - lovely and comfortable with 'proper' pillows that allowed for a comfortable nights sleep.

There was two bottles of water always waiting for us after room service and a refreshed supply of fresh fruit. The shower and bathroom in general was superb - a very futuristic toilet!

Breakfast was the best spread we had during our stay in Vietnam. Plenty of choice, friendly staff and a mixture of hot food, made to order omlettes etc. We literally waddled from breakfast and didn't eat again until mid-afternoon.

Overall, a brilliant place to stay. Loved every bit of it, the only suggestion would be for the hotel to have Siagon green beer but that's hardly a reason to not stay here. Staff are a credit to the hotel and it's history, simply fantastic.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

We very much enjoyed the charm of such a lovely historic hotel. Our stay in a standard 'colonial' room was a very good value. We only noticed the lack of view (of which we were aware upon booking) when we heard rain outside but not really see it. Next time I stay here, I'll probably upgrade to a city or river view for something different.

Pluses:
+ Room was neat and clean. Best of all it was very spacious.
+ Large variety of restaurants & dining options within the hotel and I was surprised to learn there was even a casino too.
+ Scale provided in bathroom
+ Thankfully the hotel guide in the room has 'at a glance' cards in case you forget what floor breakfast is served on. You definitely do not want to miss out on the roof top breakfast so pack your sunglasses (but there is indoor seating if you prefer).
+ Friendly and efficient staff. Having traveling in developing countries, I certainly did not expect the level of customer service we received. * Our house keeper replaced our TV remote batteries before we even had a chance to mention it. * Small gestures like pausing in the hallways to greet guests as we walked past. * And I want to mention the welcome introduction we received from Fleur was perfect.
+ The location is within convenient walking distance to most everything. Only once or twice during our stay did we take a pedi cab. There are even a number of good restaurants nearby - for a special evening out book a good table at Maxims next door.
+ WiFi is included at no surcharge.
+ Business service center rep was knowledgeable and provided another example of excellent customer service when she called to let my husband know he forgot his thumb drive.

Could be improved:
- Received no response from the hotel when I attempted to arrange for airport transportation (separate from reservation). Although taking a taxi from airport worked out easily enough.
- The hotel's optional tour packages are very nicely put together, but the pricing is ridiculously expensive compared to the local market price if you simply called and arranged the same thing yourself. I certainly don't mind paying for the convenience of having someone else arrange things, but I found the tourist trap pricing to be over the top.
- Internet connection was perfect in the room; but connecting in the lobby lounge area was challenging.
- The gym has most everything you need but there was not a bin for soiled gym towels in the immediate area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

We spent our last night here - it was our big splurge, the most expensive place we stayed. I think it was worth it. It's a reminder of the older days, opulent, an oasis of calm in crazy Sai Gon. Our room was well appointed, a river view room - but the traffic noise wasn't an issue as the french doors had been double glazed. The bed was the most comfortable we had on our two week trip. The bathroom was lovely and we certainly enjoyed the huge bath and toiletries. The reception was friendly and efficient. Breakfast was amazing. Our only complaint was the 'M Bar'. It was over priced, unfriendly and lacked ambience. The music was terrible and far too loud. We went there twice and wouldn't bother again - the Rex Hotels rooftop bar is much much better.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

The Majestic is one of the world's classic hotel experiences. The old wing is the best, especially our river view room where we watched the shipping traffic gliding by. There are other hotels in HCMC with history - the Continental and the Caravelle - but the Majestic has the old worlde charm. The foyer is delightful with large installations of 1920's coloured glass work and french style influences. Our bedroom was superb and comfortable with enough room for a large old timber wardrobe and a set of period chairs and table. The marble bathroom was beautiful. The bed was comfortable and large.
With old restored hotels you have to expect some compromise between old fittings and modern restoration. Yes, the bath shower is a bit awkward getting in and out, the light controls are odd, and the double glazing works well but the handles to open the windows aren't always user friendly. These quirks and the history is what makes staying in these old dames so spiritually rewarding.
The swimming pool area in the inner atrium area is smallish but sufficient for a swim, but it is central Saigon and space is tight.
Breakfast is good enough and the view compensates for any quirks in what is available and the quality of the coffee...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

The most impressed part of my stay in this hotel was the breakfast. It was served at the top floor of the hotel and overlooking at the river, giving a good start of every day. A wide range of food was served.
Not to miss out is the interesting lift in this hotel which can only take 2 people at a time!

• Stayed August 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I stayed here for four days while on holiday in Ho Chi Minh city. The hotel has a great location, right on the river and near the major tourist sights. The room was fairly large, with a soft bed. The bathroom was average sized, with all the modern conveniences. There are several restaurants inside the hotel, including a nice rooftop bar. The staff was very helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Majestic Saigon? Share your experiences!