“Excellent 5* Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Saigon Plaza

You added Sofitel Saigon Plaza to your Saves list
Sofitel Saigon Plaza
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Le Duan Boulevard | District 1, Ho Chi Minh City 7000, Vietnam   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% OFF for Early Booking
Ranked #13 of 382 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent 5* Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed in a Luxury Club room on the 20th floor (?) we were on the same floor as the pool and executive lounge which was incredibly convenient. Check in was incredibly easy and fast from the lounge, The view from the room was great and we had a small balcony that made gazing at the street scape even more immersive. I really could have stood under the rain shower for hours the bathroom itself was very well fitted out as a 5 star hotel should be, we had no bath in our room though.

The hotel is in a really good location very easy to get around by foot to see most of the sites. The staff were plentiful, incredibly helpful and a credit to managements training.

I'm puzzled as to other reviewers quizzing of 5 stars it appears the basic rooms maybe pretty different to the luxury versions which offer great value. The executive lounge features more stunning views after a day of walking offers greatly needed drinks and snacks (including beer) all day with more offerings from 6pm.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting this amazing city.

Room Tip: Executive rooms all the way
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
B-Courtois, General Manager at Sofitel Saigon Plaza, responded to this review, yesterday
Thanks for having chosen Sofitel for your stay in Saigon and for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you greatly enjoyed your stay with us and the service extended by our Ambassadors and indulged fully in the benefits of the Club Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you again should your travels bring you back to this vibrant city.

Bertrand Courtois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a tremendous hotel with excellent service and nice although slightly small rooms. Quite luxurious. Breakfast was not only delicious, but a feast for the eyes with more fruits and selections than I have seen anywhere else. Outstanding service.

Very convenient location with the Saigon Zoo and Botanical gardens, and a couple of museums very nearby. War Rebalance museum, Notre Dame, Imperial (Reunification) Palace, The Rex, Caravelle all a modest walk ok quick (and very cheap) cab ride away.

Rooftop swimming pool is very nice with great views of the city.

Only complaint is the cost of food and drinks which is comparable with typical high end US hotels and not Vietnam in general. (e.g. 333 beer runs about $5 at the hotel and 33¢ on the street and small restaurants.)

Has a pretty nice gym with cardio, free weights, good selection of dumbbells and a Smith machine.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
B-Courtois, General Manager at Sofitel Saigon Plaza, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thanks for having chosen Sofitel for your stay in Saigon and for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you oenjoyed your stay with us and your time in Ho Chi Minh City. As far as our prices for food and beverage offers are concerned, please note that we are comparing favorably compared to other 5 star international hotels and definitely lower than one would have to disburse in a European or American hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again on your next trip to Vietnam.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for business in March 2015. My room was pleasant and clean and had all the amenities I needed. Check-in was pleasant and bags delivered to my room promptly. Breakfast was buffet style with both Western-style and Vietnamese on offer. We had drinks in the evening by the rooftop pool, which had great views across the city. My only complaint that was I wanted to visit the gym early in the morning (5am) as this was a business trip but it was closed. I would prefer a 24hr access gym. The hotel is centrally located but nice and quiet.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us during your business trip. We have taken good note of your comment about our gym not being accessible 24/7 and will consider this option in our gym renovation plan (tentatively in 2016).

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Vietnam.

With our thanks and best regards,

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Just because a hotel calls itself a luxury does not mean that it really is. This hotel has far too many negatives to be really luxury.

Sitting at the desk, using a computer, I frequently had to move so that my wife could walk past. The room is adequate but not quite luxury.

The elevator system makes sense to someone but not to me. We waited longer for an elevator here than at any other hotel on our recent tour. It is frustrating that while waiting for the elevator, you see it going past your floor, in the direction that you are going, making you wait for the next one to come from the ground up to L12 or higher. A key card is required to access the upper floors. There are two control panels in the elevator cab, but only one has a card reader. Why? Why have the second control panel if it is nobbled.
I object to having to ask my wife – even if we have been together for 50 years, to please give me light. The lighting panel is on one side of the bed only. Dumb?

I believe that a luxury hotel should have a separate shower, not a shower in the bath. I believe that a luxury hotel should offer a toilet brush in the toilet. I believe that a luxury hotel should have shelves in the cupboard so that clothing can be unpacked.

Check-in was slow. Looking over the desk it appeared that the receptionist had to go back repeatedly to the same screen – or possibly the system had a mind of its own and did what it wanted to do.

As well as all the forgoing, and not the fault of the hotel, on Saturday we were woken at 6:45 by noise of drums, singing and a concert from the school across the road. Ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

It is not all negative. I really appreciated not having to crawl on the floor to fine a plug. There were six power sockets on the desk. The breakfasts were more than adequate although on the one morning we were directed to the secondary breakfast area. We waited for space to open in the main restaurant. The staff are all well trained and very obliging.

The hotel is a short walk to a variety of restaurants and shopping centre, and close to a large department store.

But having said all of this, the hotel falls well short of another Sofitel we stayed at.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I am a gold Accor member and where I can I stay at the Sofitel. Having said that, I do check out reviews as I would not let my hotel choice spoil my holiday just becuse I could earn a few more Accor points.
Despite som not so favourable reviews I book to stay here.
Best decision I could make for the following reasons: first of all, even when ignoring the fact I was upgraded to a top floor two room suite, the room I would have got was great (had a friend staying there at the same time as us). Rooms are beautifl with lovy bathrooms, Lanvin amenities, great comfy beds and all the facilities one could possibly need.
The hotel itself is spotless, with a beautiful and large rooftop pool (although thee are not enough sunbeds (was fairly quiet when we stayed so it was ok).
I stayed in a room withclub level access and woud recommend to go for this optin as it is only marginally more expensive and provides free soft drinks throughout the day, free after oon tea with lovely food and free evening alcohol and canapes for two hours every day.
Despite having access to the lounge I chose to have my breakfast in the main restaurant which has great selection of beautiful, fresh and delicious foods - whatever you do, do not missbrealfast at the hotel.
My only complain is about problms with my reservtion and Accor point - still unresolved, but it would not be fair to score the hotel poorly for this when room, staff, lounge, pool and food were all great!

Room Tip: Book a room with Club level access as it is worth it
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our time with Sofitel was full of good feelings... from the kindness and hospitality of the hotel's stuff to the beautiful, design spaces with singularity decoration. Breakfast was also fresh with variety of choices from western to eastern food. Hotel is located not far to the main attractions of the city so easy to reach there. I fully recommended this place!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, our facilities and the friendly service extended by our Ambassadors.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was the last haunt in Vietnam and definitely a great one! The breakfast spread with the 'Pho' station is a great addition! The hotel has a fantastic pool and bar. The rooms are well appointed and luxurious. The bathrooms though could have been better.. You have to stand in the tub to take a shower and once you are done, the whole place has water. What's great is that you make a call and within minutes you have the housekeeping ever smiling staff to clean it up for you! There are lots of places to see close by within easy can distances. The travel desk is a great help for personalised tours and a definite recommendation!

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Thanks for haing chosen Sofitel for your stay in Saigon and for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the friendly service extended by our Ambassadors, more particularly our Housekeeping team. We are currently looking at ways to improve the waterproofing of the glass partition on the bathtub.

We hoep to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Bertrand Courtois

Been to Sofitel Saigon Plaza? Share your experiences!