“Oh dear! All the bad review r correct” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel A&EM 44 Phan Boi Chau

You added Hotel A&EM 44 Phan Boi Chau to your Saves list
Hotel A&EM 44 Phan Boi Chau
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 Phan Boi Chau, BenThanh Ward, Dist 1 | (near Ben Thanh market), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #188 of 371 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Melbourne, Australia
“Oh dear! All the bad review r correct”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We'd booked for 6 nights but checked out after 1. Yes rooms are very small 4 meters by 4 meters. No window, reception staff who are abrupt and don't smile. ok I knew all these things going in. It was the small bugs all over the room, the water leak in the bathroom and the very thin walls and noisy co- guests that sent us running .... To another hotel.

I very highly recommend you give this place a big miss!

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Duesseldorf
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

We fortunately only stayed for one night in this hotel. If we had booked more than one night, we would have left it earlier.
In the chintzy furnitured room we found ants, a big spider in the bed and a cockroach in the bathroom... Last but not least, we shared breakfast (which was inacceptable anyway) with a rat running through the breakfastroom. The staff seemed to be familiar with that. Moreover nobody asked us, if everything was allright - obviously for a reason. Never experienced that unfriendly staff in Asia.

We would never stay here again! An effrontery for 80 US Dollars per night!

• Stayed November 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Will probably stay here again the next time in HCMC due to its location. It's also reasonably priced at USD30/pax/night for a superior room with wifi and even a PC! Only problem is there was no window and had some ants. Latter is fine considering one of the vietnamese culture is ability to co-exist

• Stayed October 2013
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

A and em hotel is no 4/5 star hotel, it's a very good clean 2/3 star hotel. I will stay again, the hotel was clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. For the price I was very happy with my stay at this hotel.it is in district 1 which seems to be the backpacker's area of saigon, but there are plenty of good cheap places to eat and drink and it is a short cab ride to anything you might want to do in Saigon

• Stayed August 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is very posh and modern looking in the reception and restaurant area, however, that is the only thing good about this place. All the bad things are 1. bad customer service. I had already paid for 2 rooms. 1 VIP room. 1 room 2 double beds. When my family checked in, they didn't have a room with a 2 double beds. I had already pre-paid through Expedia.com. So they gave me a room with 1 bed, then charges me extra. In the U.S. when you do not give the customer what they paid for b/c it is your fault, then you do not charge them extra. I needed the 2 beds for my cousins, and they had to sleep in 1 bed. That's ridiculous! I am Vietnamese and I tried to explain the problem to the receptionist and manager. I needed a room w/ 2 beds not 1 bed. I had already paid for room w/ 2 beds. Now they put me in a room w/ 1 bed and charge me an extra b/c the room is on a higher floor. I was infuriated. So I ask them to bring in a cot, and I paid the extra fee. 2. Do not stay in VIP 5. It is a beautiful room with an enormous bath tub. However, when it rained really hard, the roof leaked, and we got flooded. The ceiling directly above the bathtub has mold and water stains. The stairways smell of waste 3. Included breakfast is not good. It is poor quality. Overall, this hotel is better than most hotels b/c the style is nice. However, with the problems we faced, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in VIP 5. It got flooded when it rained. Bathtub's ceiling has water stains and mo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel, for:
1) grand looking of this hotel, although might not be as big as 4stars or 5 stars hotel, well-designed and comfortable
2) Room was superb comfortable, although not as spacious, but for 2 person, it's just nice and very cosy
3) The cafe/lounge bar attached this hotel was a good add as couples of tables right infront of the hotels was a good place to relax, facing the Ben Thant Market and busy street, with a sip of Viet coffee
4) Right facing the infamous Ben Thant market making shopping much easier, regardless of day or night time...also lots of night street food to venture. Love it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I like this hotel but I wish I had known that in the evening the market prevents taxis approaching anywhere near the place. For various reasons I arrived at this place with the most luggage I've ever had in my entire life - a 7 seater taxi full to the rafters with bags. Nightmare.

The hotel itself is comfortable, and in the finest traditions of such hotels in Vietnam, has been designed/decorated by an unhinged person on LSD. I liked the big jacuzzi bath and rain shower in my suite although functionally it was lacking a bit. The crazy decor of the place blew my mind and you just know whoever concocted it thought it was going to win awards.

Would stay again if without so much luggage.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel A&EM 44 Phan Boi Chau? Share your experiences!