“Super value for your money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moonlight Hotel

Save Saved
You added Moonlight Hotel to your Saves list
Moonlight Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180-184 Nguyen Trai | District 1, Ho Chi Minh City 70000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #98 of 351 hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
“Super value for your money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying that the hotel and the staff were superb. Our flight was delayed but the hotel service waited for our arrival. When we got to the hotel, we were able to check-in without any problems. They even extended a courtesy discount to a friend who just walked with us.
Breakfast was great. The pho was excellent. Of course, there were other selections. Althought it was not as diverse as the ones you in the big hotels, none the less, it was good enough.
Rooms were not so big but were good enough and were kept clean.
Although there were some communication problems with the other staff, in general they did try to communicate and help us in whatever way they can. The receptionist were quite helpful and spoke a little more fluent in English compared to the other staff.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay. And will defenitely stay there again when we go back.
Two thumbs up. Hope you continue with your good service.

• Stayed April 2012

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Venice, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights during our trip to Vietnam. I liked the location and the room was not bad. However, when we arrived at the hotel they couldn't locate our reservation, I had it with me so I had to show them but the process took a while since their English is very poor. The room was basic, but clean and comfortable. The only problem was housekeeping waking us up at 7am knocking in the door, even when there was a No Disturb sing on. I particularly didn't like the breakfast as I found it too Asian for my style and I think they could do some Westerns additions to it. Overall it was OK, and since the location is good, you don't need to take a taxi to go anywhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The customer service of this hotel is so poor.

I checked in on 12 Aug and upon checking into my hotel I found out that the aircon in the room was not working, I gave the reception a call and told them about this. Nothing was done, I had to call them 4 times before they eventually sent a man up at 12am to look at the matter. He simply fiddle with the remote and left without telling us what is going on. We had to sleep in a room without aircon for a day.

The following day, we had to go to the recep area again to inform them about this matter, again, they promise to look into it and will send someone up the room to rectify the matter. When we came back at night, we are faced with the same disappointment. No aircon and nothing was done. We called the reception again and we were moved to a windowless room (which was in fact a downgrade). We explained that we actually booked a room with window. The person on duty that night told us that once the aircon in our original room is up and running, we will be moved back to the original room. But, true to our prediction, it didn't happen. The hotel did not update us whether the aircon is up and running. The matter was just buried.

On our last day, we explained to the reception our predicament for the last few days (a different person on duty) and he has no idea what went on and there were no updates, handovers of information from one shift to another. And, after much negotiating, the hotel was doing us a favour by giving us a $10 discount for our lost our of "goodwill". We were deeply disappointed in how this matter was handled. We refused to accept the discount. After much going back and forth, they agreed to waive our first night stay. However, they did not address our issue of being downgraded.

The breakfast in the hotel was not great as well. It is the usual american breakfast spread with a handful of local food. I suggest skip the breakfast, head over to nearby street for some good yummilicious local food instead.

Another thing that I find odd about this hotel was the housekeeping hours. They came knocking on doors at odd hours in the morning, and once their stipulated hours of housekeeping is over, they would not return to clean your room or make your bed. You have to wait for the next day provided you could meet their timing again.

For a new hotel, there's so much to improve on. However, our overall stay is not handicapped by the fact that we are disappointed with the downgrade and how this matter was handled and managed. It could be better.

The good points about this hotel are:
- the location of this hotel is perfect. it is within walking distance to Bui Vien, Ben Thanh Market, Saigon Sq etc. It is also in the heart of shopping area. So, you can eat and shop all at the same time.

- the staffs are generally helpful and friendly, but it would be good if they could manage simple english.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in the moonlight suite which is cheaper than a normal room in a 4/5 star hotel. The hotel has no facilities except a cafe on the 1st floor but that didn't bother us much as we were out sightseeing most of the time. The suite is not really a suite (w/ separate living area) but it is spacious, and so is the bathroom which comes with full marble and a jacuzzi bath tub and separate shower cubicle. Not sure when the hotel was opened but everything looks brand new. Breakfast is basic but sufficient. Frontdesk officer was friendly and spoke fluent cantonese which makes communication much easier. She recommended some sightseeing tours and we took two of them. Later at the tour we found out from our tour mates that their hotel actually jacked up the tour fee by almost double; ours didn't. There are a lot of shops and a few restaurants near the hotel. You can walk to Ben Thanh Market or as far as to Opera House and Renaissance Hotel, which we did. Crossing the road can be a problem though. Something worth mentioning is that there is a local sandwich store just 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The sandwich was heavenly and costs slightly more than US$1. We were told not to wave down any cabs except from Vinasun or MaiLinh which use meters. I learned from the front desk that there is a Vinasun staff permanently stationing outside our hotel to service the hotel guests. Wifi was free and stable. There was even a desktop computer in our room. In general, we enjoyed our trip and will definitely recommend the hotel to our friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We booked this hotel through a deal on deal.com.sg from Singapore. That, my friends, I don't recommend to the weak hearted or weak willed. It was almost impossible to find Citiskies travel, the company that we booked through, and once we found it they jerked us around a lot and messed up our reservation.

Then we had to get the visas. Now, if you look up myvietnamvisa.com it is going to say that there is a warning against it because they send out the approval letter with your name and the name of like 25 other people and their passport details on it. This, I'm afraid, is true. However, it was a nightmare trying to find the embassy in Singapore and once we did it was going to be $300 for the two of us and we figured we would bite the bullet and pay the $30 to get it done online. I will re=post if anything happens as a result of my info going out on a letter, but I honestly think it will be ok..

That being said, this trip to Ho Chi Minh City was delightful. I'd never been to Vietnam and I had a fantastic time. The hotel staff were friendly and spoke decent enough English and the rooms were nice. The bed was huge because it was two double beds stuck together which was kind of sore if you were in the middle, but otherwise good. They were able to change USD into Vietnam Dong for us at the counter. I recommend taking Vietnam Dong mainly and a little USD, I thought it would be the other way around but I think I could have got a better exchange rate at a money changer in Singapore than at the desk.

We had a free hotel transfer from the airport and they were great with getting us from the airport and back when we had to leave. The staff helped keep our rented moto in the garage and were helpful. The location was good and the staff helped us get taxis and translate where we wanted to go, not always completely successfully but at least they tried. There was free WiFi and free breakfast.

The only thing I didn't like about the stay here was the breakfast. It was not good friends. It was available from 6am to 9:30, which kind of sucks if you wanted to sleep in from going out the night before. Also, the food was not very good. There were strange mizes of Asian and Western, but neither were very appetizing. I recommend sleeping in and going to get breakfast at a cafe down the street where you can get delicious baguettes and coffee.

The hotel was in a good location and generally we had a wonderful holiday. I'm glad we stayed here and if I come back to Ho Chi Minh I would consider staying here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Moonlight Hotel? Share your experiences!