“Such wonderful staff and delicious food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monsoon Restaurant & Bar Saigon

Monsoon Restaurant & Bar Saigon
No.1, Cao Ba Nha, Nguyen Cu Trinh ward, | District 1, Ho Chi Minh City 84, Vietnam
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #103 of 1,568 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Burmese, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Such wonderful staff and delicious food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Firstly, we found this place really easy to find!

It's a lovely building, beautifully decorated with a wide range of Asian food. We had a selection from different counties, and it was all delicious!

The staff are really wonderful - super attentive and incredibly friendly! Thank you!

Visited June 2013

• Polish first
“Great Place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The place have great food, also offer a great options for vegetarians, nice and helpful service, and nice atmosphere - for friends, family and couples.
They don't have outdoor seating for eating, only for a smoke or get some air.
The location is a little bit far from all the scene of Saigon so taxi is needed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Tour Lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was on a tour of the city and my guide brought me here for lunch. I am used to sub-par tour-sponsored meals, but I was pleasantly surprised by the attractive and flavorful offerings here.

It was also a very pretty restaurant which had a comfortable ambiance. I cannot speak to the prices as my meal was included in my tour, but I would have paid my own money to eat here, so hopefully that's an indication

I would not hesitate to suggest this restaurant to any fellow travelers.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Great atmosphere, but food was just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I'm not sure what the hype is about.

My friend and I decided to "splurge" for the FIRST time on food in our 2 week (to date) trip of Southeast Asia. We ordered the tour of vietnam appetizer package which included 4 types of appetizers (fresh spring rolls, fried spring rolls, some rice thing, and some mixed vegetable bite). Besides the fresh spring rolls (which were one of the blandest spring rolls I've had during my entire SE trip), the other three ranged from OK to pretty good. For the main course, my friend ordered the pork curry and I ordered the butter fish curry. This was pretty disappointing. First, the texture and taste was more like frozen cod fish. Second, the curry was more like a sauce than a curry. Even through my disappointment, I decided I might as well go all the way and ordered dessert. I got the fried banana with vanilla ice cream. This was pretty good. I also ordered a drink which was way overpriced....i could have gotten the same exact thing for 1/3 the price somewhere else.

Overall, my friend and I spent about 800,00 VND or $20/person on this meal. Compared to the $5-6/person or so we spent on other budget touristy restaurants, this was definitely bad value. Yes, the food tasted slightly better, but not 4x better. Average food and bad value. I think the great atmosphere and decor of the restaurant (with strong A/C) helped to improve the overall restaurant experience rating to AVERAGE.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Average pan South-East Asian food in a lovely setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

After reading so many wonderful reviews I was quite excited to try the restaurant. It is near the backpacker district but does not reflect a Bui Vien type atmosphere. The Asian decor is simple, clean and modern. We were seated next to a window overlooking the lawn with bar lounges.

The menu is extensive with food from Burma/Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. We tried mohinga (pretty tasty but have nothing to compare it to), butter fish curry (tasty), beef curry (big chunks of beef with sauce), pea fritters (a little dry) and flowers with garlic (can get this at a lot of Vietnamese restaurants). Overall the food was of a fine standard but nothing really stood out for the prices we paid (all dishes we ordered were between 100k - 200k VND). We ordered four drinks and rice, as well as dessert and all up it cost about 1.5mliion VND. It is a little expensive for what we received and we probably wouldn't go back.

Service on the whole was friendly and efficient. However, a few dishes/drinks we ordered were unavailable. We would order them and then were told about 15 mins later that they were unavailable so I'm not sure why this took them so long to relay back to us. The first few times were not a problem but after the third time I thought it was a bit ridiculous.

• Visited May 2013