“Avoid” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Vietnamese
Brisbane, Australia
“Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We ordered 5 dishes, what a disappointment. The pancakes were good, the stir fry beef was large uncooked cubes, and the squid inedible. What I love about Vietnam is the awesome food, fantastic service and low cost. This place failed all three. This place was expensive even by Australian standards but initially what was most disappointing was that we missed an opportunity to enjoy a tasty meal. I say initially, because even more disappointing, when the bill came we found we were charged for unrequested peanuts, cashews and ........baby wipe napkins! (We enjoyed complete meals in others cities for the cost of these items). Had the food not been poor and expensive I probably would have let this go...not that complaining got me anywhere. At least they did not charge extra for the unrequested ice because the bottles of beer arrive at the table warm.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Buffalo, New York
“Dark Beer in Saigon - Who Woulda Thought?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This large Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) restaurant - really a beer hall - is attached to my hotel. I decided to have dinner here one night out of curiosity. You can sit inside an air conditioned section, where the draft tap is located, or you can sit in the external but covered larger section. I chose inside because I could watch them drawing drafts of beer, both a lager-type beer that is light and refreshing, and a dark beer that was a surprise find in Vietnam.

You can order 1/3rd liter, ½ liter, or 1 liter. Having spent so much time in England, I got my liters and pints mixed up and ordered 1 liter (thinking more that I was ordering 1 pint) of the fresh draft dark beer. A liter is a lot of beer, but I drank – and enjoyed – every drop. So we know the beer is good, what about the food?

The menu is huge, and about 70% of the menu has attempts at English translations. The translations are close enough that a non-Vietnamese speaking customer can get by. There are many choices, including meats and seafood. Everything I have ordered has been excellent. While this is not a four-star restaurant, they prepare the meals with care, it is always tasty, and I trust the food to be safe for my Western digestive system. I have eaten dinner and lunch here several times and I have been pleased with every meal.

Pricing is above street-food pricing, but is not too high, unless you order a specialty meal. Most of my meals here, including ½ liter of freshly-drawn draft beer (I’ve learned the difference between a liter and a pint), have been in the 160,000 – 200,000 VND ($8.00 - $10.00) range.

The restaurant sits at a traffic circle called the Six-Way Intersection. It is at an intersection of two of the top areas to visit in Saigon – District 1 and District 5. So it is convenient if you are visiting any of the major Saigon attractions.

Service is fantastic, by the way.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gray, Maine
“Great service with possibly the best beer in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Big Man Beer is always on my list of places to visit when I have freinds/family in town. I have not dined there yet but the beer is really greate, the prices are really good for this qauality beer. They offer up dark and light in 1/4, 1/2 and litre mugs. Not really easy to find, it's at the roundabout that is the intersection of Pham Viet Chanh, Nguyen Van Cu, Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Hung Vuong, Tran Phu and Thai To. It is on the corner of Pham Viet Chanh and Nguyen Van Cu. You will not see any reference to Big Man Beer until you go into the courtyard. They have live seafood in tanks on the left side of the entrance. Sit outside and enjoy the 99.9% Vietnamese clientele having a night out drinking and eating. Staff are not very proficient with English but their menu is in English and VN so no problem. Everytime I have been there the staff has been absolutely magnificent.
The White Hotel in Phu My Hung (District 7) is also carrying Big Man Beer now. Good stuff.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh
“Dark beer, light beer...oh and food too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

A fairly large open air spot at the edge of District 1 next to the busy roundabout Nga sau Cong hoa. You'll find this place by the Big Man Beer sign outside.
It's open through the day but doesn't get busy until after dark. More tables come out then to fill up the courtyard.
When I was there the place got pretty busy mainly with a less rowdy than average Mot Hai Ba crew, but there were plenty of families there too. It never felt uncomfortable.
The main draw is draught dark or light beer both by the litre or half. The food here is your Vietnamese standard fare and is pretty tasty. I can personally recommend the claypot pork. It's just a little bit more expensive than most of the restaurants in the immediate vicinity, but is just about worth it.

• Visited March 2011