“Two stars but it has a lot going for it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Minh Chau Hotel

Save Saved
You added Minh Chau Hotel to your Saves list
Minh Chau Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   119 Hoa Hung street, P.12, Q. 10, Ho Chi Minh City 70000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #33 of 360 hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Melbourne
“Two stars but it has a lot going for it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The most impressive thing about this hotel is its amazing vast and kitch yet fascinating roof top garden. It seems to have engulfed three bulidings so there is an interesting void where you can seee to other levels. It is quite unusual. The cafe on the roof served good food and there was a vast range of seating and table options. It even has rocking chairs. It looks as though the roof opens too. Its big enough to have a wedding reception there. However its not a luxury hotel. I even had a large cockroach in the bathroom. But the hotel is quite well maintained and clean, and the location suited our needs. It has nice modern lift which meant I could get a room with a balcony. I can't do stairs so this is my first question when booking. And though the towels are a bit worn and thin they are absorbent and dry quickly. There was a hygiene kit for each person and plenty of bottled water in the fridge. The staff are friendly and some have enough English to get by. I asked them not to service my room each day which seemed to be understood. We go out all day so our needs are simple and the beds were more comfortable than most in VN. Even expensive hotels usually have mattresses as hard as latex bricks but these were kind on my aching old western bones. I also liked the rich warm dark timber doors. The paint work and tiling was also in good condition and the building had some interesting features. It may be only two stars but I liked its quirky authenticity. Cafe Sorrento is near by in one direction and another lovely bar/restaurant is round the corner in the other direction. We booked fir five nights at thirty dollars a night. Good value I say.

Room Tip: Many configurations. We chose smaller with balcony rather than spacious but no balcony. Ask them to...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Maitland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed here some time ago - about 3 years ago and found it quite good. (The drop down for dates doesn't go back that far) At the time the staff did not speak much English but the owner was available by mobile phone and always contacted me if I rang her and missed her. It was in more of a suburban area and had a nice feel to the area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Jeonju, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Minh Chau is an awful place to stay. My family went there for 1 night.
We arrived at dinner-time and were made to wait 25 minutes for the staff to finish eating.
I was refused use of the safe to store my money and passports - they said my fold was too big !
The hotel is NOT CLOSE TO THE TRAIN STATION!!!!
The water was boiling hot or cold. The door handles were not all working,
We were refused access to the roof-garden as we didn't buy food there - we paid for the room - we paid for drinks in the roof bar - then were sent to our room!!
The owner prowled outside at check-out time and started tapping on the door the moment the clock struck 10. We had arranged a late check-out but this was forgotten and we were charged extra.
The water and coffee were not free despite the sign on the fridge saying "water and coffee free"
The hotel is locked down at 10 - I was in the street with sewer-rats and stray dogs for an hour as I rang the bell again and again - luckily a neighbour saw me and telephoned them.
The list goes on and on - I have been travelling for 25 years and this place is the worst!
DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I found this hotel on Tripadvisor with a price promotion. First I thought the cheap price comes with moderate quality service, but I was totally surprised by Minh Chau hotel's hospitality and professional service. This hotel has a wonderful terrace coffee with delicious foods. Affordable price and good quality !

Room Tip: booking ahead of time
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Minh Chau Hotel? Share your experiences!