“Spacious room, friendly staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of White Lion Hotel

You added White Lion Hotel to your Saves list
White Lion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   15C Cao Thang St, Ward 2, Dist 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #119 of 701 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Spacious room, friendly staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Originally booked SenViet hotel, but was transferred to White Lion due to SenViet having renovation works. Stayed in the 8th floor corner suite with one of my travelling friends. Overall the facilities are good, loving the shower and the wide screen TV with a variety of channels. Shower gel and shampoo were provided, however no refills for the duration of our stay. Luckily we brought our own. The A/C worked well in our room, however my other friends were complaining that the A/C in their room does not work. As for any noise from the roads, we can faintly hear motorcycles honking, however it didn't really bother us.

Breakfast was provided. No complaints there because all of us preferred light breakfast. Each morning has slightly varied buffet menu. But the usual would include fried rice and noodle soup.

There are quite a number of restaurants nearby, including a Korean restaurant on the same block and Lotteria(fast food chain) about 3 min walk away. There is also a Chinese restaurant on the opposite side of the hotel that serves really good food. The hotel is located in District 3 however, so it is not near any of the tourist attractions. It cost around 45,000 Dong for a 7-seater taxi to take us to District 1(Ben Thanh Market etc).

The reception staff were quite friendly as well, as we had to ask them for directions on several occassions. They also loaned me a universal adapter as I forgot to bring one.

Overall, a pleasant enough stay.

Room Tip: Corner suite is very spacious, has a roomier shower room as well.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Vietnamese first
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I would give 3-4 stars for the friendly staff in the daytime and the hotel built about a year ago so everything is still new. BUT, when I was looking for the stair’s location relative to my room if there is an emergency situation, and to my surprise there is NO STAIR available at this hotel.

When I asked the helpful receptionist (during the day) where is the stair, she told me there is no stair built at this hotel. I then asked what happens if there is a fire or the elevator broke or lost power, she said that everyone has to use the portable ladder to climb down from the window. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? And adding to the insult, there is NO portable ladder available in the room.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? WOULD YOU STAY AT A PLACE LIKE THAT?

Below are some other nuisance during my first couple nights.

I had some family members come and visit in the evening before we go out for some drinks and the male receptionist at night did not allow them to come to my room. I had to come down to the lobby to meet them. He said the hotel policy does not allow that (as he was expecting some money).

I also asked for an extra pillow in addition to the two provided. The evening male receptionist brought the pillow up but said why I would need another pillow when there are two already in the room. Isn’t it too weird for a front desk receptionist to ask that?!

There were no real restaurants (comfort sitting, A/C, etc.) within walking distance around this hotel. You need to go to District 1 for that.

I hope everyone read my review and stay away from this hotel. There are so many hotel in the price range in the city to choose from. There were some previous reviews about this hotel before mine and I am sure all past as well as current patrons only use the elevator and not even aware about the “No Stair” issue at this hotel. I wanted to write this to raise a big RED FLAG.

Room Tip: Do NOT Stay Here !!! It is unsafe !!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stumbled into this hotel by our friend recommendation who lives in Saigon, since it's fairly new & they are running promotion. Not to shaby for $22/night...Clean, new, provide enough essentials for our stay.

Free wifi in the room & on the lobby...a plus if you have ur laptop or want to do some works while visiting. 2laptops available in the lobby for emails checking, looking up somestuff.

House keeping services daily, with free water. We particularly like the standing shower as we are used to the shower back in the States.There are rooms with standing shower (which is very spacious & nice, strong water pressure fr shower) or the tub if you are used to taking a bath.

We were here during some of the construction period, where they r upgrading some of the rooms on the first floor, so the noise was unbearable, but they started const. aroud 8am & over by 4pm...which we are out of the room most of the time. Very dusty at this construction time as well...Hopefully they will be done by 3week of Jan 2012.

If you have a moped, this place is sufficient, cheap & pretty close to central of HCMcity. Taxi drive is around $3usd to anywhere near the central.

Noise can be an issue, ask for the higher floor, which we were on 8th floor.

Free breakfast included (nothing to ride home about, after 2days), try the shark fins place right across the street fr the hotel (amazing....this place been operating business for 30years & know what's they doing) Also, if you want some thing good, authentic, cross the street, walk down about 1000yard to Hu tiu Nam Vang (flat noodle w. prawns & brooth, very tasty, this place also been in the business for over 30years plus...they have other food for your mood also, beside their signature "hu tiu"-flat noodle. You will recognize the place bc it's AC, closed in, glass door, well run & looking decent...Try it...you will not regret.

Overall, if you are looking for somewhere sufficient, clean, this place is good w. the good price...

Room Tip: Request higher room for less noise from the street
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

It is a new hotel and as such the rooms and amenities as well are new. Though staff tried to help as much as possible language is a barrier. I have requested my laundry to return folded, returned on hanger and I am not sure whether all my cloths are laundered ( I have filled in the request form very clearly).
The breakfast is complimentary but the choice is very poor, you have to be happy with noodles and rice of Vietnamese style no other decent option. Lunch and Dinner you have to find elsewhere as they do not provide. There are plenty of restaurants close by.

If you are on a business trip and require to sit and work then you have to squeeze yourself bit then you have to consider the price.

The plus is friendly staff with little spoken English.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front end towards the roadside are good
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I stayed here with my wife for one night. We liked the room: it's fairly large, good furniture and other stuff. Windows go into the street, and the view is OK. But... it was a little bit noisy in the evening, when all those motorbikes rode and beeped there. At night other people slammed the doors in the corridor, which didn't help sleeping. Maybe I was too excited and couldn't ignore it...
Breakfast: surprisingly, there is a variety of choice. Staff is OK.
Anyway, it is a good hotel: it has more positive things. Location is OK, though a little bit further from the center, and there doesn't seem to be anything worthy around it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Very helpful and friendly staff. Breakfast was free. Room was clean and the Flat-screen HDTV had a lot of movie channels. I had a motorbike that I drove around Saigon for vacation and they had "motorbike valet" staff at the front to park it for you which was convenient. Not bad for $35 per night especially for a hotel at the heart of bustling Saigon (less than 1km from District 1).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

This place is not worth the money we paid. Despite the non-English-speaking staff, the place is dirty, we had noise of constructions in the hotel all day, ants were in the bathroom and the breakfast is not worth the money either. When we tried to speak to a manager, nobody was available. All show and no substance!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!