“When does service become over friendly?” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 1,437 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Open Monday Lunch to Saturday Dinner, Close on SundayService Time: Lunch 11.45am to 1.30pm(last order)Dinner 6.45pm to 9.30pm (last order)La Villa French Restaurant proposes an authentic and fine French cuisine, it is located in a quiet street of Thao Dien and proposes a cozy dining room. La Villa has two venues which are inside and outside so you can also choose to dine in the cozy dining room or in the beautiful and romantic garden by the pool which is in the middle of several species of flowers.
Adelaide, Australia
“When does service become over friendly?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The service at this restaurant was the thing you walked away talking and thinking about. Which is a shame considering how delicious the food was. French Onion soup cooked in beer, I've once had this before in a Moroccan restaurant in Paris, both were fantastic and filling, but I could of eaten it all over again and cancelled my main. Which would of been a shame as it was also delicious, stuffed with pâté it was rich and perfectly seasoned.
When does service become over friendly? Is it the shaking of everyone's hand when you arrive or the going over everyone's orders and trying to get them to change them to something lighter? Or is it the chef coming out while your eating to shake your hand as you try to chew quickly or been asked to wait as you are leaving with literally one foot in the taxi so the chef can shake your hand again. Over friendly service is when you can't have a conversation with the people you came with because you are been circled all night. Shame as the food is sensational.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ThierrySaigon, Owner at La Villa French Restaurant, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Marietta A,

Thank you very much for visiting us, we are glad that you thought that our food was sensational. Sorry for having been "over friendly", we just wanted to make sure you had a good time. I always say that i prefer too much service than not enough ;), sorry to keep you waiting at the gate to shake your hands as you were leaving, i liked to thank you personally our guests upon departure and as i am in the kitchen most of the time i have to run to meet them on time before they leave. I didn't want to bother you... Anyway we do hope to welcome you back soon at La Villa!
Happy Lunar New Year!
Best regards, Thierry

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent French Food :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We celebrated our wedding anniversary there and pleased to say we have enjoyed our night out there. The chef prepares very good French food and the lady host make sure you are comfortable and knows what are you having.

Visited February 2013
Dear r0gerpark,

Thank you very much for visiting us and for posting such nice comments on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read that you had such a nice time while dining at La Villa! We did share your comments with all the team. We are looking forward welcoming you back soon. Happy Lunar new Year!
Best regards, Thierry and La Villa's Crew
Sydney
“I was expecting 'amazing' and I just got 'good'.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I went here after reading all the great comments posted on Tripadviser.
It was good.. but not amazing as I was hoping for.
The whole time I compared the food quality to that of Trois Gourmands, and I have to say, it just didn't measured up.
The restaurant looks amazing. And I would give this place full marks for the atmosphere. But there were a few things that let the whole experience down for me.
First, I asked the waitress what kind of wine is the house white wine. They didn't know and had to go and get the bottle to show me. You think they would know what the house wine is.
I had the set menu. It was all very nice. The food was presented like how I would expect a fine dinning restaurant to be. My duck breast was cooked perfectly.
The only let down of my meal was the desert. The apple tart. Served luke warm. I'm sure it was meant to be served hot.
The only bad thing about the meal really was at the end they had a few extra sweets to finish. A mini cake which was just dried. (Less is more. They shouldn't have served that at all) A macaroon and a piece of dark chocolate that was way too hard because it just came out of the fridge.

All in all, I think they did a good job.
If my expectation wasn't so high, I think I would have liked it more. But being the number 1 rated restaurant in HCM, and having been to another french restaurant Trois Gourmands not too long before this, all I can do is compare the two, and with this I was a little disappointed and felt like I wasted a dinner with food that was just good, considering I don't have many dinner on this short trip and being in a city with so much amazing food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear J8KE,

Thank you very much for visiting us and taking time to post a nice review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to know that you find our restaurant was a nice place. You have the right to prefer another place of course, hopefully we don't have all the same taste :). Hope you will have the occasion to visit us again.
"Happy Lunar New Year!"
Carpe Diem!
"Best regards, Thierry and La Villa's Crew
Singapore, Singapore
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Visited La Villa twice, first time was in June last year and again early last month in January. Finally remembered to write a review here. The service is excellent and the waiters are attentive to every detail. Before each visit, Ms Tina, one of the owners, will promptly confirm the reservation via email and directions will be provided to the restaurant. One problem is that the location of the restaurant is hard to find, and the cab driver from my second visit was lost, but after asking for directions, we were able to arrive safely albeit taking a longer route and time.

During the meal, she took our orders and is always able to make good recommendations. Had the degustation set the first time and a normal set the next, both were excellent, except the soup which I felt was a little salty, but the service and ambience more than make up for it.

Thierry, the chef and owner, tries to visit every table every meal and it was good to meet him in person. After the meal, the kind staff will call a cab and getting back to district 1 is so easy.

Will be back in the near future to visit. In fact, I have already made plans to visit later this year.

Thank you to all the staff at La Villa. :)

-Edward

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ThierrySaigon, Owner at La Villa French Restaurant, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Rangers15,

Thank you very much for taking time to post such a nice review on TripAdvisor, we are glad to read that you had great experiences the two times you did visit us. We are looking forward welcoming you last year indeed. I have well noted your comment about our soup, in France we used to say that when a dish is a bit salty it is because the "Chef is in love" ;).
Thanks again for visiting us.
We are wishing you an happy Luna New Year!
Best regards, Thierry and La Villa's Crew
Vietnam
“Wonderful place to relax and enjoy good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I already visited several times this wonderful place and was never disappointed.
It is a good place to relax and enjoy good food. Very nice and quiet located.
If you are looking for good french food, is this the place to go.
The Owner and Chef of the house Thierry, take his time to come to the guest and make his proper suggestions.
Of course also the A La Carte menu has a very good selection.
Also the combination between Food and Service is perfect.
I will always return to this Restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ThierrySaigon, Owner at La Villa French Restaurant, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Kevinmyfriend,

Thank you very much for visiting us several times and for taking time to post such great review on TripAvisor. We are delighted to read that you had such a lovely experience while dining with us at La Villa. We are looking forward welcoming you back very soon and wishing you an Happy Luna New Year!
Best regards, Thierry